What's new

Shaving in movies

Mobster films where the boss is getting the hot towel, and rival gang thugs come in and slice him ear to ear.
Not quite shaving, but close.

Anybody notice Key Largo? Gangster Johnny Rocco (played by Edward G Robinson) is getting shaved with a straight razor, and never stops talking during the shave!

Was watching The Little Foxes yesterday for company in the shop. Just when the plot starts to thicken there is a scene of father and son SR shaving while hatching a scheme....

I did a Google search on the site and paged through the first half dozen pages trying to find this, as I didn't think it could have gone unnoticed but maybe it has. Bite the Bullet is an old western in which James Coburn has two shaving scenes, the second one being a duet with Gene Hackman. Both are using DE razors, which I guess works out OK. I missed any mention of particular dates, but the movie takes place during the Teddy Roosevelt administration and is based on a race that took place in 1906, according to Wikipedia. I would think that straights would have still been more common that soon after the introduction of the safety razor, but there is quite a bit in the movie that is neither common nor an anachronism.

In the HBO series, "Luck", Joey Rathburn ( played by Richard Kind) is contemplating suicide. He lathers up with mug and brush, takes out his pistol, aims it at himself, changes his mind, but fires anyway. The bullet ricochets off the wall and strikes him anyway wounding him. He goes to the hospital without completing his shave.

De Niro plays role of an 'old school' retiree going back to work in "The Intern" alongside Anne Hathaway.
Barber straight shave scene, looks to be with Feather SS.
Light, entertaining movie.
How come he gets the best female co-stars?!

$image.jpg

$image.jpg

$image.jpeg

Starship Troopers 2 : Hero Of The Federation
A scene where Captain Dax lathers up with a brush, ready to remove about a week's worth of stubble, but changes his mind and wipes the lather off after he gets interrupted by Private Soda flirting with him.
He tells her to do press-ups !!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Edward James Olmos as Admiral Adama using a Merkur Vision in Battlestar Galactica (2004 series).

Last edited:
I think it is Django unchained or maybe 12 years a slave. But a slave is giving a straight shave to the master on the porch. Pretty intense scene where you think she is gonna kill him

In Aquarius Season 2 epidosde 7 Det. Samson Hodiak (David Duchovny) shaves at the start of the episode, intercut with scenes of Bobby Kennedy being assassinated. Looks like hes using a DE89 to me... not to assassinate Bobby of course.

Last edited:
Top Bottom