What's new

Shaving in movies

I read only through the first 7 pages, so this may have been mentioned already, but in the 1954 film, Seven Samurai there are several scenes with a kamisori. One where a samurai has his head shaved, and another a peasant cuts his daughters hair with the razor. Very cool film, and I can't wait to see the remake, 13 Assassins!

-Matt-

13 Assassins is absolutely awesome! But although it has several similarities and some characters inspired by Seven Samurai, it is not a remake of Seven Samurai.

Past year, ive been watching close encounters of the 3rd kind..a ways in, it shows richard dreyfus, shaving..with what appears to be a black handle pivot head. Ive always wondered, what he is shaving with. Gillette trac II? Movie came out in 1978-79, so i doubt its the atra. mayve a rippoff or shick brand? He is also using what appears to be cheap store brand canned foam.

Lots of shaving stuff on I Love Lucy tonight.

proxy.php

Ricky finds that Little Ricky has stuck his Super Speed in a toy rifle...

proxy.php

Little Ricky even epoxied it in, it seems. He tries to shave with it that way, but emerges with half lathered face and bits of toilet paper stuck to nicks claiming it's impossible. No long handle Super Speed for Ricky Ricardo. He goes to borrow Fred's razor.

proxy.php

And the rascal has found dad's "shaving foam". The can of goo rears it's head in 1955. All of the above are from "Ricky Sells the Car"

The next episode, "The Great Train Robbery" has Lucy ducking into the men's room to escape an armed thief. She disguises herself with a robe, fedora and a shaving brush that just happened to be in the men's room on the train...

proxy.php

Hey, it worked, but those heels...and the magic brush has now covered her face with lather in a couple paces. It's a big brush, reminds me of my Omega.

proxy.php

Morgan Freeman uses a brush and builds up lather and then starts to shave himself with a DE, the job is finished by Robert Redford in "An Unfinished Life".

Did anybody see Boardwalk Empire tonight? There's a scene where Nucki is shaving with a straight and he's shaving at an angle of about 75 degrees. I don't know much about straights but it seems like too steep an angle to me.

I don't know if this has been said or not, but I saw Next a few days ago and it shows Nicholas Cage shaving with a DE (I have no idea what model). Only good part of the movie.

I haven't gone through the entire thread, and I have no doubt this movie is included, but I was watching Valkyrie last night and Tom Cruise was shaving with what appeared to be a DE safety razor. He deliberately nicked his neck so as to change shirts in another scene. He wasn't using a lot of lather for what it's worth.

Alright, here's a screen cap from a film that has shaving in it.... a different sort, but look at that monster straight!

proxy.php

I also noticed that and cringed. It seems to be a common misconception about how to use a straight. Every time I show one of my straights to someone in my parents generation (Similar age as Steve Buscemi) they all do the exact same thing. They drag it down their face at a 90 degree angle. Needless to say I don't let people touch my razors anymore because of that.

Did anybody see Boardwalk Empire tonight? There's a scene where Nucki is shaving with a straight and he's shaving at an angle of about 75 degrees. I don't know much about straights but it seems like too steep an angle to me.

Not shaving, but in the 2006 version of Agatha Christie's Marple: The Moving Finger, when someone opens a drawer of odds and ends we see a straight razor therein:

Attachments

• $movfin.jpg
    $movfin.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 185
Don't know if it's been mentioned in the past 11 pages but just saw The Professionals again, with Lee Marvin and Burt Lancaster. There's one scene where they show Lee Marvin shaving with a straight--almost the entire shave.

A Majority of One. About ten minutes into the movie, Jerry is lathering up his face with foam from a can. We don't actually see him shave. Out in the next room, a small group of women discuss the various type of razors: "Stick razor, electric razor." (I'd never heard the term "stick razor" before, but apparently it was an old reference to a safety razor.) Later on when the shave is complete, Jerry's wife and mother-in-law come into his room as he's splashing on some after shave lotion. His MIL (Rosalind Russell) says, "I love the smell of bay rum."

Top Bottom