What's new

Shaving Head - DE Not So Great

OP Here....
I finally am finishing up the couple packs of disposables. Decided that Schick with the flexing "U" bending blades wasn't actually all that great. I was getting too many nicks. A 3 blade Equate brand was working better.

After reading through this all, I'm going to dig out the Muehle R89 (hope I can find it) and just work with that for now. I have noticed I'm getting better with the disposables so I do suspect there is something there about just needing time to practice and get it right. Just surprised how completely different and more difficult it has been vs face shaving.

Otherwise, after trying the R89 and maybe my open comb Piccolo (again if I'm remembering what I have in storage) I'm looking still at trying the Leaf, the Rockwell (adjustable aggression sounds like a plus), or a Henson. Maybe I don't fully understand the Henson but is it a razor that still shaves close but for some reason just doesn't nick and irritate for how aggressive it is? Someone also recommended adjustable Phoenix Artisan Ascension Twist. And the RazoRock I've now seen come up a few times. Blackland Vector looks nice but $$.

I like this hobby but I've grown a bit tired of shopping blades and razors and soaps and all that. Starting to feel/wonder how different all these brands really are these days. I'd like to just use what I have so I'm hoping that while the R41 is good on my face and maybe not on my head.... the R89 or Piccolo might be sufficient on the dome.

Last edited:
I started shaving the bonce 3 months ago, and like the OP, traditional DEs don't work for me, with the exception of the Henson AL13. The Leaf Razor works really well; the pivoting head and ability to customise with up to 3 blades is great, and the long handle make it easier to work at the back of the head comfortably. You can still nick yourself, but the chances are lower, and I've only had one or two nicks with the Leaf.

I still use an electric head shaver for quick shower shaves, and it does a good job of keeping things under control for when I don't want, or have time for, a full blade shave.
See, this is what I keep not understanding about the Hensons... everyone says its nearly impossible to nick yourself, but my brain then asks how it is possible to get a close shave. Or why would every other DE not really work but somehow the Henson does work?

Maybe just something I will need to try if I decide to throw down on a new razor.

I've been shaving my head for almost a decade now. The best system I've come up with is the following. All is done in the shower with a mirror for easiest cleanup.
1. Karve Overlander - first pass - ATG on top of head, and top to bottom on sides and back, neck bottom to top
2. Cartridge razor - second pass - ATG on top of head, xtg or wtg on sides, top to bottom on back, do not touch neck.

The rationale is the following - the Overlander is the best razor I've found for both the head and face (so far). I've used over 15 or 20. The top of head has ZERO give unlike the face or the sides of head and I like a milder razor for that. It does not clog with 3 to 4 days of growth (if you go longer I recommend the Merkur Open Comb). However, because its a DE it can't bend around the dome of your head with pressure like the thin and unsupported blades of a cartridge - so you may miss a couple spots. I usually can get 95% of the way there. I can go super fast with it and almost impossible to cut yourself (I'm talking about random cuts if you are not careful - the type you can get with aggressive razors). If you have a bump or pimple on your head, however, expect for it to shave it off and bleed.

The cartridge is just for cleanup of anything I missed. Since the first pass with the DE gets most of it, my cartridges last over a month. Total time shaving head - no more than 5 minutes. I could do a second pass with a DE but it just takes longer because you are trying to find places you missed. Its much faster to just go super quick with the cartridge and they last long because there is not much they are actually "shaving."

Last edited:
See, this is what I keep not understanding about the Hensons... everyone says its nearly impossible to nick yourself, but my brain then asks how it is possible to get a close shave. Or why would every other DE not really work but somehow the Henson does work?

Maybe just something I will need to try if I decide to throw down on a new razor.
The Henson has a very precise head geometry, making getting the angle a lot easier. But as you rightly surmise, the mildness of the razor means you have to really work at getting a close shave. I intend trying my AL13 with a Feather or similar very sharp blade to see how that works out. Mostly though, I use the Leaf loaded in all 3 slots with either Astra SPs, Gillette Silver Blues, or Perma-Sharps.

Top Bottom