What's new

Shaving Head - DE Not So Great

Yeah, been slowly losing front end of hair for a decade. Had been keeping it very tight last couple years (1-2mm clipper guard). About a month ago decided it was time to just blast away what's left and accept my fate.

I've been face shaving with DE's for 10+ years at this point. My go to is the Muehle R41 and Gillette Blues. Best face shaves ever. I will sometimes use a Maggard Razors (I can't remember the model... I'd say it is mid-aggressive) and like it as well, particularly with feathers (milder razor with sharper blade). Tried other various ones like Piccolo (its OK), I have a slant Merkur (37??) and its rather meh. I have an R89 (not aggressive enough). So I feel like I can say I'm experienced with various razors on the face and can blast out a super shave with zero nicks.

For my head though.... I've tried the R41 and the Maggard and I have to say they're just not working well. What I THINK are the problems are the following 1) its very difficult to keep the DE's at the right blade angle as you pull the razor across your constantly curving head. So I get good cuts when it is correct but then almost nothing if the angle is off. And it is not easy for me to keep that angle right for whatever reason. This is resulting in having to do way too many passes and irritating my head. Nicks, etc haven't really been a problem but burning from too many passes has been. and 2) head has kinda the ridge up top, that bump in the back where it gets close to starting your neck, and a few other uneven/curved areas and I feel like the DE blades, because they are stiff "across" miss the lower areas on the head. I've tried shaving in different directions but its like the DE's create a bridge over some of these areas, again attempting more passes and in some situations I swear I just cannot get a very close shave. Naturally all of this is made worse because you can't see back there so you kinda have to do it by feel, run your hand over an area to check that you got it, etc.

I've been using a disposable Schick Xtreme 3. It isn't the closest shave ever, but the pivoting head, and I think the slightly flexible blade that it offers are working extremely well for me. It just seems to fit the contours of a curved head, the ridges, and the pivoting head mean I don't have to get my angle spot-on. I can shave my entire head by feel, in the shower, which is a plus.

So where I'm going with all this... is there any sort of DE razor that mimics the Schick Xtreme 3? Leaf Razor pivots but I don't think it solves the "U" curve issue that the Schick can accomplish to kinda bend over the high and low spots.

I'd like to get the closer quality shave of the DE but I'm just not sure its really going to work out on the head. And using disposable Schicks seems a little ridiculous to me (wish they at least made a cartridge version of it). I found Defender Razor (no idea if any good) and their blades seem to flex, albeit in a plane 90 degrees off from the Schick blade flex. Anything I'm not aware of out there?

I've been using an R89 with great success. Usually go ATG + buffing right away. Since this razor is not super aggressive, it is very forgiving and you can just go at it most angles which is very nice.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Yes, shaving your head with DE is indeed very different from shaving your face.

When I first started shaving, I even took an hour with a regular Merkur 42c, which was considered a less aggressive razor.
I also think a couple of the points you mentioned are really what happens when I shave my head.

But after continuous, non-giving up practice, I can now easily use every DE in my collection to shave my head in much less time. Contains the extremely gentle AS-D2 that requires precise angles and the Rex Ambassador with more blade expossure.
Of course, switching between left and right hands is not a problem.

So I think all you need is time, not a new razor.

Last edited:
I went from carts to SE, well, after a short detour with a Leaf.

When I was new to DE, I couldn't work up the courage to use one on my head, so I kept using (up) my Harry's carts. I ended up getting a Leaf, and that sort of mimicked the cart razor, and gave me a near autopilot head shave. Really not bad at all and (for me) very hard to nick or cut.

Still, I didn't stop, and picked up some SE razors: and aluminum Hawk (AC blade), a stainless steel Hawk V3 "standard" version (AC), and a Hawk Eco (DE half-blade).

All of those worked pretty well, with the Eco probably being the most aggressive (least forgiving) in my inexperienced hands. I really liked the stainless steel Hawk, but sold it and the aluminum Hawk (AC) in favor of what has become my ultimate head shaver: a stainless steel Vector.

With a Feather or Kai guarded blade in the Vector I get 98% BBS in two passes, WTG/ATG, with touchup and rarely draw blood. I got similar shaves from the stainless steel Hawk (AC) which is a fine razor, but ultimately gave in to the Blackland Vector which is a bit lighter and more maneuverable.

I have some similar features hiding under my scalp: the bump at the base of my skull, and a couple of other high spots in the back near the edges. None are noticeable but if I'm not careful, ANY of my razors will find them in the worst way. I need to remind myself to tread lightly in those areas.

I would suggest (and agree) that while the tools may differ a bit, experience is key. Currently, I use my Vector for 99% of my head shaves, but occasionally grab my $25 Razorock Hawk Eco with half a DE blade and get just as good a shave - which less than a year ago would have been a blood bath.

I’ve been shaving my head daily with DE razors for almost three years now. Transitioning from Cartridge razors was hardener than I thought. It turned out that I needed to unlearn some bad habits. It was frustrating at first and it took about year to get to the point where I wanted to be. I’m glad I stuck with it. I look forward to my daily shaves!
Here is what’s on the shaving menu for Saturday.
IMG_4004.jpeg

Ya know...I've been buzzing my head with an electric hair shaver (Trimsher) that takes my hair right down to a sandpaper like finish. Which is generally good enough. If I feel the need to go right down to the wood I have a Pitbull shaver that does that. Occasionally I use a cart which works well.

The R41 is one of the more aggressive DE razors available. While I can use it, I have to be mindful of my shave pressure and shave angle at all times. While that is possible when shaving your face in front of a mirror, it would be quite difficult to do when shaving your head since you are shaving more by feel rather than by sight. Maintaining consistent shave angle and pressure throughout the stroke would be difficult.

I have never shaved my head, so I cannot make any specific recommendations concerning equipment or technique. Here are some videos you might find helpful.

The first is some tips for beginning head shavers by IAMCDB.

Another channel that often features head shaves is Another Cut Above with Chris. Here is one video you might appreciate:

Last edited:
Tried many razors to shave the head. Most of them demand consecration not to cut yourself. The Henson Aggressive work best for me. Very close shave without the risk of cutting yourself.

I've been shaving my head for close to 20 years now with every option available- trying to figure out what works the best for me. Easiest was a rotary electric but it never cut close enough. DE's have been a crapshoot. The best I've tried was the Rockwell 6c since it's pretty forgiving and the different plates let you decide what you need.

I basically settled on the same razor I used on my face in high school. The Atra. The aftermarket carts made by Personna are cheap on Ebay and I get an average of 15 shaves each.

Carts just work better for me. Good luck with your search. 👍

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Sorry to hear you're having troubles. You are correct about the need to maintain a good angle which is harder on the head. I've used electrics, which worked OK and in those days I didn't know better. Technology wins, eh? Well, not so much. Let's look at that.

I've wet-shaved my dome with SE razors (AC and Gem), DE razors, slant DEs, devettes and shavettes. Of that list I find slant DE and Gem to be the best formats for me. I prefer slant over Gem by a pretty fair margin. I'm pretty sure that if I put in the time I could get decent at shaving with a shavette or "barber straight" but at the moment a shave with one is about an hour and a half of fiddling around. Mostly that's not something I feel like I need to address because I have other options.

Head hair is often harder than whiskers, especially as you get older. A medium to sharp blade helps, while paradoxically a mild to medium razor helps keep that edge under control. It is possible to shave the head with an aggressive razor, but all the technique you learned using that aggressive razor on your face goes straight out the window when you try to apply it to your head. That means: if you're going to use an aggressive razor, take your time. You need to learn how to use it in this context.

Taking your time is also good because you need to learn to move the razor so the angle stays fairly consistent as you go around the curves. It gets easier.

Currently I'm shaving with the RazoRock Superslant L2OC, using either Astra SP or Dorco Prime blades. I've also used the L3SB, which is pretty much the same efficiency in a bar instead of a comb. Not that more expensive is better, but I also use a Rex Konsul adjustable slant and get lovely shaves. Cheap works, too, as long as it's the right cheap -- as in the Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements "Monster" slants.

In the non-slant world I've used the RazoRock BBS-OC and find it often a bit mild for me with these blades. With a sharper blade it works OK. The best Gem formats for me are the PAA Starling V2OC and the old Gem MMOC. The best AC-format razor I've used is the ATT X1, now sadly discontinued but still around on the used market if you're lucky.

O.H.

@Old Hippie and @Henry Green are way more experienced than I am (especially if I deduct Henry’s experience from my age!) and their advice is obviously spot on.

I wanted to add to your original post as I have shaved my head with the R41 - and I think I used a Gillette Blue in there as well. What I found is that the R41 was very intuitive in terms of the angle to be used. Contrary to my face shaves I get proper audio feedback from my head to know when I am off. And I think the secret is that I use the R41 more shallow on my head than I usually do.

I have no idea what could work for you as I am not you, but you might want to slow things down considerably. Face and head shaving are not just two sides of the same coin. The ease I flip some of my tapes around on my face will surely lead to trouble on my dome.

And I myself have never achieved a full BBS in two passes. I found that my hair growth is actually better served with XTG (ear to ear) as a money pass. And the back of my head requires buffing no matter which razor I use (including a Greencult 1 with .95 gap and .25 exposure). Other fantastic head shavers are the Fatip open comb (I have been adviced to get the FOCS) and the Greencult 2.0

You just need new muscle to built up for head shaving. I would go slower and more deliberate for a shave or two to see what you need to work out to make it work.

You have got this!!

Guido

Like you, I shaved with the Schick Extreme 3 for years ( from 27 to 60). In the last 2 years, I have been using the Leaf Razor as it flexes like the SE3. I initially had all 3 areas loaded w/ a half blade but now, I only fill 2 slots and that gets the job done nicely on my dome.

I attempted several times over the years to use a DE but the results weren't worth it. My head is round and the time it took to finish a head shave with a DE didn't work. Plus, the number of nicks, cuts, and gashes was brutal.

marty

I started shaving the bonce 3 months ago, and like the OP, traditional DEs don't work for me, with the exception of the Henson AL13. The Leaf Razor works really well; the pivoting head and ability to customise with up to 3 blades is great, and the long handle make it easier to work at the back of the head comfortably. You can still nick yourself, but the chances are lower, and I've only had one or two nicks with the Leaf.

I still use an electric head shaver for quick shower shaves, and it does a good job of keeping things under control for when I don't want, or have time for, a full blade shave.

I went from carts to SE, well, after a short detour with a Leaf.

When I was new to DE, I couldn't work up the courage to use one on my head, so I kept using (up) my Harry's carts. I ended up getting a Leaf, and that sort of mimicked the cart razor, and gave me a near autopilot head shave. Really not bad at all and (for me) very hard to nick or cut.

Still, I didn't stop, and picked up some SE razors: and aluminum Hawk (AC blade), a stainless steel Hawk V3 "standard" version (AC), and a Hawk Eco (DE half-blade).

All of those worked pretty well, with the Eco probably being the most aggressive (least forgiving) in my inexperienced hands. I really liked the stainless steel Hawk, but sold it and the aluminum Hawk (AC) in favor of what has become my ultimate head shaver: a stainless steel Vector.

With a Feather or Kai guarded blade in the Vector I get 98% BBS in two passes, WTG/ATG, with touchup and rarely draw blood. I got similar shaves from the stainless steel Hawk (AC) which is a fine razor, but ultimately gave in to the Blackland Vector which is a bit lighter and more maneuverable.

I have some similar features hiding under my scalp: the bump at the base of my skull, and a couple of other high spots in the back near the edges. None are noticeable but if I'm not careful, ANY of my razors will find them in the worst way. I need to remind myself to tread lightly in those areas.

I would suggest (and agree) that while the tools may differ a bit, experience is key. Currently, I use my Vector for 99% of my head shaves, but occasionally grab my $25 Razorock Hawk Eco with half a DE blade and get just as good a shave - which less than a year ago would have been a blood bath.
I have to agree here. The Blackland Vector is the best head shaver I’ve found. I use it daily and get perfect BBS shaves in 2 passes with a just the slightest cleanup after.

If you practice shaving your head with carts (1-3 blades) for a month or more....you will get good at getting the whole head covered without missing spots. BTW do one pass in one direction and another 90 degrees from it.....(both directions).
Then try a DE.....R41 probably too much for this?; all work with different difficulty. I have used all sorts of razors and have cut myself 2; once with a German Slant (a bloody mess, right during my first month).
The Thorn from leaf is very good
Otherwise get a cheap copy of EJ89 or similar.....or the double open comb versions..... . Schick injectors work well, too.
Good luck

Top Bottom