Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
Razor= Weck Hair Shaper
Blade= Personna Hair Shaper
Brush= ANBBAS Synthetic
Soap= Arko Shave Stick
Aftershave= Superdrug Forest Fresh

20240411_163850.jpg

Here was a previous shave this week that I didn't have time to post.

Growth: 3.5 day beard
Prep: Warm shower: Stirling Sheep bar soap
Pre: None
Brush: Maggard Razors 24mm premium boar knot with Maggard Razors sky blue 25mm handle
Lather: Van Der Hagen Select Shave Soap
Load Bowl: Old Spice Mug
Lather Bowl: Old Spice Mug

Razor: Feather DX (wood handle, folding razor)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan ProTouch MG (D1.5)

Shaving 3.5 day's worth of growth worked better with the ProTouch blade for the whole shave. This is the first time I used the ProTouch for the entire shave with the DX. I had one nick on the right side of my face a half inch from my lips on the first pass. The only other nick I had was on the tip of the chin where I repeatedly went over the area (fighting the guard) to try to get rid of all the stubble. I was impressed that I only had razor burn a few areas of my face. Much better than last shave with both the Feather Proguard and Kai ProTouch MG (A/B shave). I do want to move towards unguarded blades with this razor but this is definitely a decent blade combination for up to 3.5 day's growth (I have not tried more growth than that).

With all the customs issues with the Feather DX, I now realize how fortunate I was to find one second hand locally. I hope everyone gets their DX soon.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I don't know if it's the amount of blade on display or what, but the Weck always looks terrifying to me! Think I got one many years ago in an auction lot one year (here at B&B), but I've no blades and have never used it!
If you got the guard with your Weck it can be modified to be used for shaving. If you read through the Weck Wednesdays thread on here it will tell you how (sorry I don't know how to share links). The Personna Hair Shaper blades are sold on a few online vendors and not that hard to come by. Just make sure you get the hair shaper blades and not the paint scrapper ones.

If you got the guard with your Weck it can be modified to be used for shaving. If you read through the Weck Wednesdays thread on here it will tell you how (sorry I don't know how to share links). The Personna Hair Shaper blades are sold on a few online vendors and not that hard to come by. Just make sure you get the hair shaper blades and not the paint scrapper ones.
I've never seen them for sale in this country, but I haven't checked in a few years. International shopping has become prohibitively expensive with our currency at a 30-odd year low against the dollar!

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I've never seen them for sale in this country, but I haven't checked in a few years. International shopping has become prohibitively expensive with our currency at a 30-odd year low against the dollar!
I got mine of the ebay on both the razors shipping was 3 times the cost . But with both the razors being so cheap it evened the cost to pretty reasonable.

Growth: 3 day beard
Prep: Warm shower: Stirling Sheep bar soap
Pre: None
Brush: Maggard Razors 24mm premium boar knot with Maggard Razors sky blue 25mm handle
Lather: Van Der Hagen Select Shave Soap
Load Bowl: Old Spice Mug
Lather Bowl: Old Spice Mug

Razor: Feather DX (wood handle, folding razor)
Blade: Feather Professional Blade (D2)

Post: alum, Stirling witch hazel, Trumper's Sandalwood Skin Food

When it comes to unguarded blades, I have issues with areas of skin contours/folds that are not easy to stretch. I had a bad bleeder to the left of my mouth due to this issue today. Next time, I will contort my face for areas where stretching my skin with my fingers is ineffective. This was the first time I stuck with the Feather Pro for an entire shave. Last time I shaved with the Feather Pro, once the nicks/weepers/bleeders started rolling in, I bailed and used a DE razor to finish the shave. This time I decided to press on and it worked out. I still have a lot to learn when it comes to the DX with unguarded blades.

Another great shave with Kai clone + Kai protouch blade (12th). This blade has still life in it.

I have been playing these last two weeks with straight razors. First lesson I learned is : Shavette is about getting a quality shave effortlessly through a blade (without weepers) and a straight razor is about getting a razor edge by putting your efforts on stones & hones to get a quality shave. Two opposite worlds. I am still struggling getting a SR system in place but I feel good that I can get very nice shaves from my shavettes.

Top Bottom