What's new

Shark Super Stainless

I bought these out of curiosity to use in my single edge Dark Stag folding Kamisori. First shave was a total blood bath! They tugged a lot and skipped over my bristles rather than slicing through. Lots of skin irritation and nicks galore. I'll give them another go in the cut throat and then in my R89 just to be fair. I'll post an update when I get around to it.
I bought some of these in a sampler pack to try out with my new r89, and found them disappointing - they tugged a fair bit and felt very scratchy, I suspect I will not be using them again.

Now Astra SS on the other hand...

I bought some of these in a sampler pack to try out with my new r89, and found them disappointing - they tugged a fair bit and felt very scratchy, I suspect I will not be using them again.

did you try the super chrome sharks ?

Oh Yea mega fan of the Astra SS, one of my all time faves! It's the one I reach for when I can't decide what to try out next!

No I haven't, are they superior?

I am still testing and its kinda gone back and forth which is confusing or maybe less difference than the razor I am using and technique

Testing them more this week though and trying to nail down blades I like

This thread is interesting

Can't say until you try them yourself. Some prefer the Super Chrome, some the Super Stainless. As is with all blades. I use both Shark models, but have to use them in different razors to get the best results.
Look at the Astras. 80% of users like one of them and hate the other. Very few like me consider both to be equally good.
I'm solidly in camp Astra SP. While I was pleasantly surprised that I can get a handful of shaves from the Astra SS (from my participation in the Astra vintage vs modern blade challenge), the rapid deterioration in blade quality meant toward the end, my shaves weren't up to par. For me, Astra SP blades, tend to last a couple shaves longer and shave smoother from the beginning.

I'm solidly in camp Astra SP. While I was pleasantly surprised that I can get a handful of shaves from the Astra SS (from my participation in the Astra vintage vs modern blade challenge), the rapid deterioration in blade quality meant toward the end, my shaves weren't up to par. For me, Astra SP blades, tend to last a couple shaves longer and shave smoother from the beginning.
95% of the time if a brand makes a Platinum and Super Stainless blade, the Platinum coating is supposed to be longer lasting than the blade designated Super Stainless (which usually has PTFE or PTFE+chrome coating). But longevity is not everything for some shavers like me. The Stainless models are a bit sharper, and with my tough beard that is an important benefit, especially in milder razors.

M

mtcn77

95% of the time if a brand makes a Platinum and Super Stainless blade, the Platinum coating is supposed to be longer lasting than the blade designated Super Stainless (which usually has PTFE or PTFE+chrome coating). But longevity is not everything for some shavers like me. The Stainless models are a bit sharper, and with my tough beard that is an important benefit, especially in milder razors.
I thought it was the other way around - chrome for durability, platinum for sharpness. However that explains why I like stainless and utterly hate platinum!

I thought it was the other way around - chrome for durability, platinum for sharpness. However that explains why I like stainless and utterly hate platinum!
The Platinum blades have actually a coating of platinum + chrome. That has been advertised even on the first Gillette platinum coated blades back in 1969. Marketing doesn't always reveal the truth. If you see "chrome" in a blade name, it most certainly is chromium+PTFE.

That would make sense, given the hardness of these substances: Mohs scale of mineral hardness - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohs_scale_of_mineral_hardness#Intermediate_hardness

I don't know if the Mohs scale (scratch resistance) is the appropriate scale to reference here though.

In any case, we are missing a diamond coated blade.

That would make sense, given the hardness of these substances: Mohs scale of mineral hardness - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohs_scale_of_mineral_hardness#Intermediate_hardness

I don't know if the Mohs scale (scratch resistance) is the appropriate scale to reference here though.

In any case, we are missing a diamond coated blade.
Perhaps if we take into account the fact that tungsten blades used to last forever, the Vickers scale might be more appropriate:
Hardnesses of the elements (data page) - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardnesses_of_the_elements_(data_page)

For me, it's more a blade smoothness issue. With stainless steel blades, they rarely feel as smooth as a platinum blade for me (the vintage Astra stainless blade would be an exception). The durability issue is just an extra bonus. But TBH, I have enough blades that I don't mind tossing my blades after three or four shaves (heck, I could probably toss them after every other shave). I just happen to like continuing to use a blade until it stops giving me a smooth and comfortable shave.

I imagine the Shark SS is just too dull in mild razors like the r89 or the KCG. In an r41, it's a very very good blade if you don't have very tough facial hair and prefer smoothness over sharpness. Definitely gave me better shaves than Voskhod or Astra SP.

M

mtcn77

I imagine the Shark SS is just too dull in mild razors like the r89 or the KCG. In an r41, it's a very very good blade if you don't have very tough facial hair and prefer smoothness over sharpness. Definitely gave me better shaves than Voskhod or Astra SP.
Yaqi Slant came with Euromax blades. I didn't use them, but they are reviewed a tad duller than Shark. I like Shark overall. Just enough sharpness to shave and not enough to bite. Perfect!

M

mtcn77

For me, it's more a blade smoothness issue. With stainless steel blades, they rarely feel as smooth as a platinum blade for me (the vintage Astra stainless blade would be an exception). The durability issue is just an extra bonus. But TBH, I have enough blades that I don't mind tossing my blades after three or four shaves (heck, I could probably toss them after every other shave). I just happen to like continuing to use a blade until it stops giving me a smooth and comfortable shave.
I can shave 10 times with Shark, but I replace them since I feel I'm starting to apply pressure.

They are a weird blade for me. I absolutely hated Sharks for years. They were awful in my old Gillettes. Tons of irritation every shave.

Recently, I tried the Shark SS blades in my Karve and Rockwell 6S and they are excellent. So good that I just bought a 200 pack.

They are one of those blades that really perform differently in different razors.

Exactly my experience, had them in the blade stash , put away for a few years, then recently decided to try the in the Rockwell, plates 5/6 and... WOW, really eye opener, smooth efficient shave, no nicks irritation, discomfort, nothing. Instantly my go to blade on the Rockwell.
The other blades I like in the Rockwell are the Polsilvers, Perma Sharps, GSB, and maybe the 7´Oclock yellows, but they all have something lacking, comfort, smoothness, or whatever.
I get great shaves from them all, but sometimes some discomfort, nicks, and durability is not so good as the Sharks.

Exactly my experience, had them in the blade stash , put away for a few years, then recently decided to try the in the Rockwell, plates 5/6 and... WOW, really eye opener, smooth efficient shave, no nicks irritation, discomfort, nothing. Instantly my go to blade on the Rockwell.
The other blades I like in the Rockwell are the Polsilvers, Perma Sharps, GSB, and maybe the 7´Oclock yellows, but they all have something lacking, comfort, smoothness, or whatever.
I get great shaves from them all, but sometimes some discomfort, nicks, and durability is not so good as the Sharks.

All the shark blades work fantastic for me. You should check out the Super Chrome and Platinum as well! You may also want to stop by The SoS

I wonder if Lord has made improvements to the quality of the Shark Super Chrome blades in recent years. The blades I have are from a few years ago. When they came out with the Shark Platinum blades, I was hesitant to try them, but I found they were pretty good blades. They are not my favorites, but I can certainly use them. Maybe the Super Chromes today are sharper than the ones from a few years ago.

I wonder if Lord has made improvements to the quality of the Shark Super Chrome blades in recent years. The blades I have are from a few years ago. When they came out with the Shark Platinum blades, I was hesitant to try them, but I found they were pretty good blades. They are not my favorites, but I can certainly use them. Maybe the Super Chromes today are sharper than the ones from a few years ago.

Was extremely hesitant to try Shark blades due to many thinking they are the worst blades, like Dorco and Derby etc. After finally trying them, they have become my exclusive blades. For years used Wilkinson sword (classic german), Astra green and Voskhod. Since these were much better then the Dorco and Derby blades that came with my first razors. Blades and have expanded to using Bolzano, Rapira (all versions), and Lada. The Sharks are equal or better than any blades I have tried.

Last edited:
Top Bottom