What's new

Shark DE Blades

CarlosAT was very kind to send me a Shark blade. I have tried it today.
My prep was:
Night before I did a prep-cream on
I did a Kyle's Prep, waited for 3 minutes and started Lathering and let that stay for 2 minutes.

So the prep was good. Now the blades....they were horrible. Just like the Personna's and Lord's. It was pulling, jerking. I immediately stopped and switched to the Feathers.
The Feathers weren't even new! It was my third time I used those Feathers.
My God what a difference! Feathers.....wow....

It sounds like the Feathers are your blade then. Time to stock up. :biggrin:

Interesting to see such a feeding frenzy over the SHARK razor blades.:001_rolle Having tried two different packs in both a Merkur Long-handled Classic and a Futur, I found them to be truly substandard.:9898: Without inflicting some serious irritation at the most open (aggressive as some say) settings on the Futur, it was absolutely impossible to get that BBS shave I achieve daily from a Feather, or Derby, or Merkur in a DE. :crying:In keeping with the standard YMMV disclaimer, there are those gentlemen with less wirey, less dense beards or those with less tender skin or lower expectations that can achieve their desired level of shaving performance with the Shark blades I am sure. When it comes to comfort and performance I personally would not recommend them.:thumbdown

The tide has turned for the Sharks, huh? :lol:

I have a pretty thick beard. I agree that the Feathers are sharper then the Sharks, but I find them more agressive. I personally think that that Sharks are sharper and smoother then the Derbys, Merkers, Personnas, etc.

As always, YMMV, as does mine; but I find them to have a nice balance between sharpness and smoothness.

Contrary to what I've read so far regarding the Sharks. I have found that the SS Sharks are much smoother than than the chrome Sharks. I don't know if this is due to differnences in batches or an actual difference between the condition of the blades.

The SS Sharks allow me to go AG on the third pass under my nose. I have not used any other blade that would do the same without drawing blood.

BTW, The SS Shark is my favorite blade so far, compared to Feathers, Derbys, Astra, Iridiums, etc. Used in a long handle Merkur HD.

Anyone find the same difference?

I've only used one super chrome shark and it was sharp but it was rough. The lord super chrome I used the week before was sharp and smooth through five shaves, the shark only made it through two. I'm going to try the lord platinum blade this morning in the same razor, my merkur 38c.

Clayton

I've only used one super chrome shark and it was sharp but it was rough. The lord super chrome I used the week before was sharp and smooth through five shaves, the shark only made it through two. I'm going to try the lord platinum blade this morning in the same razor, my merkur 38c.

Clayton

The lord platinum is super smooth compared to the shark in my 38c. I've used it two day's now and the shave is still smooth and comfortable. I'm not going to give up on the sharks, maybe I'll try one in my ranger tech. I've now tried the lord super chrome and the lord platinum plus I've tried the shark super chrome. You would of thought the lord and the shark super chromes might have been similar being they came from the same company and country. The lord was super smooth compared to the shark.

Clayton

As a new DE shaver these shark blades were heaven sent. I purchased a HD and was sent a pack of Merkur blades by the dealer to use in it. After two weeks I felt like I was shaving with sand paper and then getting botox injections afterwards! The merkur blades REALLY didn't work for me. Tried a Dorco 300 - it seemed dull but very smooth - no sandpaper or botox feeling. Then the Shark - it was smoother than the Dorco 300, for me, and I got my closest shave yet. What a deal - close, comfortable all in the same shave :)

The kicker was my wife who did a double take and was staring at my neck after my first shave with the shark. She is not one to care much about my shaving (obsession) but she looked up and said it was the closest shave yet and that my skin looked good too. I have a very tough beard and sensitive skin, what a combo...

It seems like the Sharks are certainly worth trying, but aren't immune from the YMMV factor.

Luckily, they work great for me, and the price is nice...that's a good combo!

I tried the Shark super chrome this morning and came away with the best DE shave to date. I used it in my newly acquired 1970 P Super Adjustable on setting #1. I think I have found my daily setup.

Yes I agree. These Sharks are excellent blades.
I too believe that the Super Chrome and Super Stainless are the same blade in a different package.
I took one to work(I work in a metrology lab) and took some micro photos of the edge. Notice it is very smooth and regular. There is a fairly long initial gring which leads into a short more acute gringd to the edge.
These photos are at various magnifications and were taken on a Nikon SMZ800 stereo and a Nikon MM60 precision measuring scope.

Great job and thanks.

I've tried one of each (so far), and liked the chrome better, but more testing remains (the things I go through for you guys :001_tongu)

I don't know about these Sharks(Stainless) men.

I'm on my first since Sunday and it's not promising,today included, I've had 3 pretty uncomfortable first passes.On Sunday and Monday I wasn't using a regular choice lather but I was today.
I seem to have missed patches which I haven't had for a long time.
I should say that I've been carrying around the box(unopened) in my wash bag for a few weeks while travelling,I wonder does this affect them ?

I used a '60 Super Speed, I don't believe I have a particularly tough beard.

I don't know about these Sharks(Stainless) men.

I'm on my first since Sunday and it's not promising,today included, I've had 3 pretty uncomfortable first passes.On Sunday and Monday I wasn't using a regular choice lather but I was today.
I seem to have missed patches which I haven't had for a long time.
I should say that I've been carrying around the box(unopened) in my wash bag for a few weeks while travelling,I wonder does this affect them ?

I used a '60 Super Speed, I don't believe I have a particularly tough beard.

You might try a new blade.
I had the bad luck of getting 3 bad blades in a pack of Sharks. I bought 100 Super Chrome & 200 Feathers (Red & Black type). I started with the Feathers first. The first blade was a bad shave. Thought it was just me then the next day same thing only I could really feel it dragging now! Took a look at the blade under a 30x handheld microscope (Radio Shack) & sure enough it was rough. Next day used a new Feather & all was back to normal. A few days went by I wanted to try a Shark & opened one up & got the worse razor burn I had in a very long time. Now the bad Feather blade was still on my mind, so I took a look at it & it's edge was even worse the the Feather. Took 2 more out of the pack & they were better looking but still didn't look very good. The 4Th one looked fine & the 5Th was OK too. Shaved the next day with the 4Th blade & all was back to normal.
I feel that this is not a normal condition that happens all the time. It did happen to me, so again you might try more then one blade to see if it just a bad blade or even more then one blade. I might of given up on the Sharks after the #2 blade was bad. I am now on blade #8 & all has been fine with the rest of the blades...

Last edited:
Update ...OK so I tried a new Shark this morning,much much better.I'll reserve judgement until I give it a couple more goes but it seems I may have had a dud blade.

After about less than 10 I gave up on the blade, I know not really a long sampling period but still.

Lots of irritation and worst of all rust, *** rust while being swirled in alcohol? Christ Walmart Personna's don't even rust after they've been used to scrape crap off my windshield!

Top Bottom