What's new

Seasonal Foods

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
There's still some fresh stuff that I refuse to buy out of season. Tomatoes and sweet corn aren't edible unless locally grown & recently picked, like yesterday. Michigan Blueberries and cherries still are only really good during the season, ditto for strawberries. Most apples are available year round now but tend towards mushiness out of season. Asparagus is another that fares poorly when imported from long distances .. and Brussel sprouts vary widely though the year ..

Tropical stuff (thinking bananas or pineapple) seems more consistent, or maybe it's because I grew up far away from their sources and therefore don't have a baseline to know and appreciate the fresh ones ..

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Seasonal foods? Yes, I love seasonal foods. In the fall and winter I love chili and or chicken soup. In the spring I love salads. But since we are headed into fall we will have to break out the Texas red chili recipe. The recipe is on our website in the Messhall.
I fergit. You ain't from Michigan.

Gotta have beans, one of the best reasons to have covers on yer bed nearly year 'round!
We may have to have a serious discussion through private conversation about this issue. Chili was invented in San Antonio Texas by two girls, I’m almost certain they were very good looking girls. You can’t argue with their two very good looking Latina girls making chili without beans. Look it up it’s factual.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
We may have to have a serious discussion through private conversation about this issue. Chili was invented in San Antonio Texas by two girls, I’m almost certain they were very good looking girls. You can’t argue with their two very good looking Latina girls making chili without beans. Look it up it’s factual.
My friend, chili without beans, DRY, is great on what is quite possibly the greatest processed food EVER invented: the Koegel's hotdog. True story doggone!

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
When my GF got on her keto kick a few years back I quit putting beans in chili. Now, I don't miss them at all. I do enjoy some tomato component in my chili though. Maybe I've never had real chili. :)

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Then again, back in the day, most Latinas in Texas weren’t that well off, and beans are cheap protein. Either way, I will accept any food (except mushrooms) from fair Latinas. :)

According to Bernal Diaz, when he showed up with Cortez
the Mexicans were already cooking a meat stew with tomatoes and hot peppers.

Is chili supposed to be something more than that?

If you want to look up something really interesting,
find out what the meat was.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
According to Bernal Diaz, when he showed up with Cortez
the Mexicans were already cooking a meat stew with tomatoes and hot peppers.

Is chili supposed to be something more than that?

If you want to look up something really interesting,
find out what the meat was.

This is why I never accept any dinner invites from people named Donner....

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Chislic, fries anna beer. Multi-seasonal. :) Had it with poutine once; interesting.

This time of year, with a new harvest in the root cellar: roasted root veggies. Potatoes, carrots, turnips, parsnip, onion, garlic, kohlrabi, beets with lots of olive oil, salt and rosemary.

Fruitcake. Seriously.

Lefse. Krumkake. Goro. Rommegrot. Those little nutcakes with the powdered sugar -- "Mexican" or is it "Swedish" or is it "Russian" or is it "Greek" Wedding Cakes. Probably none of them, really, but they're sure tasty.

Bread. I make bread year 'round but when it cools down I make the ones that take more effort.

Haggis. Clapshot. Cream Crowdie.

You can tell one parent was Nordic and one Celt, and I spent a few years living on the High Plains. I learned to say "Uff Da" instead of "You dang betcha."

O.H.

One thing about living in Singapore is that there are no seasons. Every day is the same, sunrise and sunset always about the same time, always a high of 32-34 and a low of 24-26, chance of a thunderstorm. Almost 100% of food is imported, so any day of the year I can buy anything I want. However, and it is a big however, things like strawberries "look" like strawberries but often are pretty flavourless and are pretty expensive, having been flown from where they should be in season.

I well remember going to the local Intermarche the first time we stayed at the place in France, thinking I was going to cook something specific that evening, can't recall what but I knew what I needed to buy. Nothing I needed was available. I quickly realised life there was to be seasonal so now when I am there I walk in with a blank shopping list and but what they have, then think about what to do with it. And it is blooming great!

And here I just watched Soylent Green the other evening
D9EDA253-AD39-4E36-8E8A-A526D83A40A7.png

It’s green, made by Soylent and says it’s plant based. Just not in wafer form but it still makes me wonder

Top Bottom