What's new

Seasonal Foods

Pannettone.....
One of my absolute favorites that are now available!

20221011_185756.jpg

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Even though it is still pretty warm in Austin, I made some salted caramel sauce. Over Tillamook vanilla ice cream, it tasted kind of seasonal, at least a change from berries as the topping of choice. To me the real kick off of fall foods is the night when I have roasted squash and roasted pork shoulder. In addition to the fall flavors, they mean that it is cool enough not to be concerned with heating up the kitchen.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I remember "back in the day" a lot of fruits and vegetables were really "seasonal" rather than always available due to the miracles of greenhouses and air cargo.

Back in the 70s, the local news show would run a piece about the first load of mandarin oranges being unloaded from a cargo ship fresh from Japan ... round about mid-November if memory serves.

That was one notable example that had some fanfare ... but there were lots of items that had a definite "season" and good luck getting them anytime else.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Growing up in Quebec, Tourtière was a Christmas tradition. It has followed me to several provinces and is alive and well in southern BC. Can’t wait!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Growing up in Quebec, Tourtière was a Christmas tradition. It has followed me to several provinces and is alive and well in southern BC. Can’t wait!

If you ever find yourself travelling Highway 97, when you get to 70 Mile House be sure to stop at the Sugar Shack!

My wife kicks me out of the kitchen for the first few weekends in the fall. She makes dozens of chicken pot pies and beef pies and also makes gallons of chili and beef stew. We freeze most of it and give a bunch of it to our parents and neighbours.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Pannettone.....
One of my absolute favorites that are now available!

View attachment 1537689
Oh, my. Did you make that? Not a simple task.
Even though it is still pretty warm in Austin, I made some salted caramel sauce. Over Tillamook vanilla ice cream, it tasted kind of seasonal, at least a change from berries as the topping of choice. To me the real kick off of fall foods is the night when I have roasted squash and roasted pork shoulder. In addition to the fall flavors, they mean that it is cool enough not to be concerned with heating up the kitchen.
Does it get cold in Austin?!?

Cheers to a change in seasons!!!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I remember "back in the day" a lot of fruits and vegetables were really "seasonal" rather than always available due to the miracles of greenhouses and air cargo.

Back in the 70s, the local news show would run a piece about the first load of mandarin oranges being unloaded from a cargo ship fresh from Japan ... round about mid-November if memory serves.

That was one notable example that had some fanfare ... but there were lots of items that had a definite "season" and good luck getting them anytime else.
I remember when we lived across the lake from Seattle. The arrival of Satsumas was a BIG deal. It was in the early 1970s.

Top Bottom