What's new

Scotch is overrated

I used to enjoy the occasional scotch, especially from an 18 year old Macallan Sherry Oak. My lovely bridge bought me a glass, a single glass mind you, of the Macallan 25 for our 20th anniversary many years back. Oh my, ruined every other scotch whisky for me.

Can't afford it. A bottle back then was maybe $900. Now, I think the bottles go for nearly 3k. Too much for this codger. But a lovely memorable occasion.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I have a friend who's been collecting scotch for 20+ years. When he was going through his divorce his ex-wife wanted the liquor cabinet with all his beloved scotch in it. She didn't even drink scotch. He used to pour me samples from time to time, but I know nothing about scotch.

Legion

Staff member
I have a friend who's been collecting scotch for 20+ years. When he was going through his divorce his ex-wife wanted the liquor cabinet with all his beloved scotch in it. She didn't even drink scotch. He used to pour me samples from time to time, but I know nothing about scotch.
I don’t understand “collecting scotch”. The empty bottles? The corks?

What, he has a bunch of nice scotch, and he is not back stroking through it like Scrouge McDuck? Makes no sense.

Scotch collection….

Reminds me of a guy I knew when we were both young.

His father passed away, he had a bit of money, and had a couple of cases of very nice, very old scotch in the basement. (I don’t know what type, I was too young to have a clue)

Anyway, he would break out a bottle at the odd party, with the warning that it was Russian Roulette. Apparently his older sister and friends had cracked into random bottles years ago, then topped them up with tap water.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
Scotch collection…

08643E71-317D-4F27-B1D0-EFE60D0E5FC5.gif

Tried an Irish Whisky a while back. Was nice and smooth. Nicer than many of the Scotch I used to drink.

Just tried some Cristal champagne in my beef stroganoff.

Disgusting. Maybe some people like Cristal, but not for me.
I generally feel that way about stroganoff because I hate egg noodles. Throw the same on potatoes, all day long. I've never hard Cristal, I don't really like champagne. Beer, bourbon, scotch, or shine. I'm allergic to tequila, every time I drink it heartily (13 years ago last time i had any) I break out in handcuffs... I am allergic to agave and I usually run a 103°f temperature if I take more than 4 shots and it has to be shots so I can accurately measure how much. When I break agave plants and get the juice on my skin I get covered in little red bumps that weep and burn like poison ivy. Crazy stuff. I'll stick to beer and whiskey, I love most all non blended whiskey. Don't put Everclear in my whiskey. Moonshine maybe(I don't recommend it) but not Everclear. A shame really. The only acceptable mixers for any whiskey is water and -32°water. Limes and lemons make good garnishes as would be expected.

Reactions: PWJ

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Drink what you like.
You can take advice from folks if you want...
But it's optional. You only have to please yourself.
Don't let "snobs" of any genre dictate what you have to do with your razors, your whisky or your life.
If you want to mix a fine scotch with tomato juice, that's your business.
I don't want any of it, but you do you without letting others tell you it's "wrong".

I have always had 30 bottles with about 2 pours left. I have a hard time with closure...until I buy another bottle.
I am going to start a Scotch infinity bottle and an "everything else" infinity bottle.

Top Bottom