SOTD-BRG-B_2022-11-05.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac Silvertip 2-Band 20/46
Soap: Stirling Unscented
Razor: Gillette Flat Bottom Tech GT
Blade: Gillette 7o'clock Ninja (13)
ASL: Chocolate Orange [home brew]

A superb shave. :biggrin:
Day two of my seven day Stirling Unscented trial went without a hitch.

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:
Always like seeing that brush, sir.

I see most guys are using unscented soap in rotation with scented soaps.

Unfortunately for me, my skin started reacting to most scents after covid (twice!).

I've gone from a rotation of 100+ soaps to currently being able to use only two!
MWF and my own unscented soap.

I made my own as ordering a tub from overseas is cost prohibitive.
I'm using my own soap most days and MWF couple of times per week.

I got the recipe right from the outset as I've researched soap making for a while due to interest so making it was the next logical step.
It contains: Soy wax, cocoa butter, shea butter, sweet almond oil, coconut oil, castor oil, liquid silk and glycerine.

Next I'm going to make an MdC style soap but with added sweet almond oil to counter any potential coconut oil dryness.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I see most guys are using unscented soap in rotation with scented soaps.

Occasionally I'll use scented soaps. I've become very picky about them. I want an excellent scent, a subtle scent, nothing which fills the shave den with an aromatic immersion. It took me a long time to make this determination.

Mostly I want no scent. Besides, Canada Shaving Soap and CK-6 are top tier soaps compared with the many I've used.

Unfortunately for me, my skin started reacting to most scents after covid (twice!).

Yipes!

I've gone from a rotation of 100+ soaps to currently being able to use only two!

It's probably no consolation to think about all the soaps we've collectively discarded.

The most expensive soaps being ones used once.

MWF and my own unscented soap.

MWF dries my skin. Proving we've got different skin, right?

I made my own as ordering a tub from overseas is cost prohibitive.
I'm using my own soap most days and MWF couple of times per week.

I got the recipe right from the outset as I've researched soap making for a while due to interest so making it was the next logical step.
It contains: Soy wax, cocoa butter, shea butter, sweet almond oil, coconut oil, castor oil, liquid silk and glycerine.

Next I'm going to make an MdC style soap but with added sweet almond oil to counter any potential coconut oil dryness.

Making your own soap and getting it right from the beginning. Both blow my mind.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I'm one of those people that likes the majority of scents I come across. Unfortunately, my skin just doesn't let me use them.

Yeah, YMMV for sure with the MWF! This soap really cares for my skin.

Making my own shaving soap is one of the coolest things I've done related to this hobby.
I'm incredibly happy with it as it lathers and performs at a top tier level.

Occasionally I'll use scented soaps. I've become very picky about them. I want an excellent scent, a subtle scent, nothing which fills the shave den with an aromatic immersion. It took me a long time to make this determination.

Mostly I want no scent. Besides, Canada Shaving Soap and CK-6 are top tier soaps compared with the many I've used.

Yipes!

It's probably no consolation to think about all the soaps we've collectively discarded.

The most expensive soaps being ones used once.

MWF dries my skin. Proving we've got different skin, right?

Making your own soap and getting it right from the beginning. Both blow my mind.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
11-19-22.SE2.VitosRed.RV-DO1.640.JPG

My soap today?

Vitos %22Red%22 4-1-20. 380.jpg

Vitos Red Cocco.

The soap as sold has a marzipan scent which I hate. It also has a very slight coconut scent. Before using Vitos Red I get rid of both scents by cutting a half tub piece of soap off the block, leaving the piece out in open air for weeks during which time I change its position to expose all surfaces to the room air. Most scent is gone is a week or so. Al scent is gone in a few weeks.

1668881274732.png

"Instant" Vitos Red Scentsless Soap.​

For a long time Vitos Red was my daily soap. I like it. It's a right good soap. However, it's not really in the league with Canada Shaving Soap in my opinion.

Notes for today's shave.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Saturday's Scentless Soap Shave
SOTD-WR2GT-Bn_2022-11-19.jpg

Soap: Canada
Razor: Wolfman WR2-SB 1.25 GT
Blade: Gillette 7o'clock Ninja (22)
ASL: Caffè Latte [home brew]

A fine shave. :biggrin:
I enjoyed my new home brewed ASL, it finished off the shave nicely. :osage:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I had just an OK shave on Saturday before we headed out to our son's in-laws place for a delayed Thanksgiving celebration. I let myself tons of time so I wasn't rushed but I think I'm figuring out... I only get two brilliant shaves out of a Wizamet Super Iridium blade.

This was with my Blutt BR-1 1.2 which has been stellar for me... every shave except this one. I used Canada Shaving Soap and my pre-shave routine was the same as usual. The shave only lasted around 8 hours instead of the 12 I've gotten on every previous shave. I need to start using some of the other blades I have on hand to see if I like any of them better than the 3 or 4 I've tried. The shave wasn't horrible... just one weeper, as I opened up a cut on one of my "bumps" I cut not being careful enough on my first OC razor shave with the Era L4 OC. But it wasn't smooth....very different from usual with the Blutt. I'll probably use the Blutt for my next shave to see if I'm the problem or if it really was a dull blade.

DecemBoar 3rd

Ever-Ready 150 with Maggard Razors Premium 24mm boar.

This past week has seen Mystic Water Sensitive Skin soap used daily. It was finicky when I switched to the boar on Thursday, giving me some difficulties getting the water used during loading right, and then the boar knot chowing down on the lather! Well, today I hit the Goldilocks amount of water for the load and had 3 passes of that wonderful MWS goodness! I used a technique that Mark on the Sharpologist blog wrote about a while back. This technique is mainly for natural fibers, as synthetics have their own needs! But you soak the knot and instead of shaking it, you use the OK finger and thumb, and only squeeze in the middle of the knot, leaving water up at the plug. Mark then recommends loading holding the tub upside down, but I found no difference other than maybe more mess?!

Whatever the case, it was a great final shave of the week with a favorite boar and a soap that has been in my soap drawer continuously since November 2015!

12_01.jpg

Saturday's Scentless Soap SOTD
SOTD-WR2GT-P_2022-12-03.jpg

Soap: Phoenix Scentsless
Razor: Wolfman WR2-SB 1.25 GT
Blade: Gillette 7o'clock Ninja (7)
ASL: La Rive Cabana

A fun shave. :biggrin:
I went totally against my principles and changed TWO things this shave (razor and soap), but it was most enjoyable. :w00t:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
DecemBoar 3rd

Ever-Ready 150 with Maggard Razors Premium 24mm boar.

This past week has seen Mystic Water Sensitive Skin soap used daily. It was finicky when I switched to the boar on Thursday, giving me some difficulties getting the water used during loading right, and then the boar knot chowing down on the lather! Well, today I hit the Goldilocks amount of water for the load and had 3 passes of that wonderful MWS goodness! I used a technique that Mark on the Sharpologist blog wrote about a while back. This technique is mainly for natural fibers, as synthetics have their own needs! But you soak the knot and instead of shaking it, you use the OK finger and thumb, and only squeeze in the middle of the knot, leaving water up at the plug. Mark then recommends loading holding the tub upside down, but I found no difference other than maybe more mess?!

Whatever the case, it was a great final shave of the week with a favorite boar and a soap that has been in my soap drawer continuously since November 2015!

View attachment 1566375
I used the Mystic Water Unscented for the first time today. I noticed the lather looked perfect but dissipated on my face way too quickly, so looks can be deceiving. I think I needed to work it a bit more or perhaps make sure to start up with less water. I'll dial it in next shave.

I bowl lather so I scooped out twice as much soap as I usually use to make sure I had enough, given I used the Omega Jade boar brush for the first time. The soap just wasn't thick enough. I had added some water to the bowl on top of the soap, thinned it out a bit and took a shower. I think I put in too much water because I didn't have to add any.

As usual, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Top Bottom