What's new

Rough jaw-line

Good morning gents,

I've recently gotten back into the art of wet shaving, heavily, I might add.
It seems as though my experience is not as it was over a decade ago. I'm having extreme issues with cleaning up my jaw line and directly under. It remains extremely coarse each and every shave. In my current rotation I use an Adjustable Fatboy on 9, Slim on 9, Super Adjustable long and short handle on 9, '44-'46 and '47-'50 Aristocrat, and post war Ball Tech. If there is a soap or creme, I've used it. Gillette Platinum, Feather, You name it. Face lather, hot scuttle lather, ice cold scuttle lather, Three and five pass shaves. I do not have an overly coarse beard in general and my skin is certainly not sensitive. Every part of my face is BBS quality except for my jaw line. I end up finishing my jaw with a cartridge. It's driving me bonkers. I'm at a complete loss. Any Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

On another note, every Sunday morning, my wife shaves me with a Wade & Butcher Invincible Striaight and of course the shave is perfect. I just don't have the time to do this every morning and prefer the convenience of the Double Edge before work.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
What works for me: I drop my jaw as low as it can comfortably go (open mouth like your wife just purchased a new Corvette just for you) which brings that pesky jawline up onto the flat of the cheek.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Could be angle or you could use some skin stretching.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I had the same problem and I resorted to using a schick injector razor on the trouble spots and that works very well for me. I picked one up on the bay.

Welcome aboard amigo... What the previous 2 posts stated above sounds about right. Check hair growth pattern. Sometimes they grow every which way but down.

I have difficulty with my jaw line and chin. I use a straight razor for a two pass shave (WTG, ATG) and then use a DE for cleanup, especially for my jaw line and chin. My beard grows so fast that I have to shave twice a day if I do not get a BBS shave the first time.

I do not have an adjustable razor, but my suspicion is that by setting your adjustable on the most aggressive setting, you may be compensating for that aggressiveness by adjusting the angle of the razor so that the blade barely touches your skin. You may not even realize you are doing it.

As an experiment, try setting the razor to a less aggressive setting, perhaps on 5. Then to set the razor angle, place the head of the razor flat against your cheek with the handle horizontal. Then drop the handle angle until the you just feel the edge of the blade contact your face. My guess is that you will be at an angle that differs significantly from the one you have used previously. Try shaving at this new setting and new angle and see it this improves your results on your jawline. If you have a sharp blade, it should take very little pressure to get a close, comfortable shave. Make sure you know the direction in which your bears grows on every part of your face. You will get the closest shave by shaving against the grain (ATG) on the final pass.

Try J-Hooking. It's a shave technique. For a demo, see Mantic59's Advanced Shaving Techniques video on youtube. FF to the 1:30 mark.

I had the same problem and I resorted to using a schick injector razor on the trouble spots and that works very well for me. I picked one up on the bay.
I actually have an injector. I've not used it as of yet. Will certainly give that a whirl this evening, excellent advice! I shall post an update upon completion.

Thank you so much, gentlemen! All of your advice has been duly noted and I am looking forward to positive results. I shall post updates as I progress. Certainly, armed with the wealth of of knowledge among our members, I shall eventually slay this persistent aggravation.

That's one great wifey and you all must have a very trusting relationship!

On another note, every Sunday morning, my wife shaves me with a Wade & Butcher Invincible Striaight and of course the shave is perfect. I just don't have the time to do this every morning and prefer the convenience of the Double Edge before work.

Fifteen years of Marraige and working together through three Combat Areas of Opperation, We've no choice but to be trusting of one another! Besides, she's only "nicked" me once, she swears I moved on her. :001_cool::a14:

Well, I rushed home this evening to try my Easy Rider Shick, which I've never even removed from the case, only to discover, I had no blades. So... now I guess I'll wait for my blades to get here. Woe is me. :001_huh:

Well, I rushed home this evening to try my Easy Rider Shick, which I've never even removed from the case, only to discover, I had no blades. So... now I guess I'll wait for my blades to get here. Woe is me. :001_huh:
I hope it works out for you, good luck.

I'm happy to say that after a week of trial and error, along with our members advice, I think it's safe to say that I've found my perfect set-up! Today I preshaved with RR mentholated Lime razor lube, scuttled Sterling mentholated orange chill along with a dime drop of Proraso green cream for an uber lather and went to work with a Gillette "New" long comb common bar with an Astra Superior Platinum blade. Finished off with Pinaud Clubman. Holy Wow! What. A. Difference! Upon going ATG I was concerned that the blade was not making contact with the skin as I was receiving almost zero feedback. Upon closer inspection, I learned that on my second pass going XTG I had virtually eliminated all of my beard with very little left to buff out! My first BBS in over a decade!

Top Bottom