What's new

Root Beer

I haven't tried any of the non "big corporation" root beers (ie A&W, Barq's, Hire, etc.). I really like all of them, but I buy A&W at the grocery store, and whenever I go to an A&W for burgers, I take a root beer, of course!

For the australian friend who never tasted it, I noticed the other day that (at least the A&W brand) has a vanilla taste, and still it's kinda spicy.

I'm always surprised to see how many people totally hate that stuff.

Hmmm... the differences between bleached and unbleached cane sugar have been totally off my radar.
The unbleached has a tiny bit of molasses left over from the sugar-making process. Gives it a slightly different flavor then the white stuff.

That is an old one. I don't think we ever had one here in Green Bay. We had to go clean down to Fond Du Lac to find one.

Not to derail the root beer thread, but a similar comparison is Dr.Pepper in Texas, there is a bottler there that still uses glass bottles and simple syrup instead of Fructose Corn syrup as a sweetner. My father used to live in Texas and a co-worker brought him some and according to my father it took him back to the 40's. He said it as night and day in regards to how good it tasted compared to the Dr.Pepper available in the market.

I have to agree with my fellow Wisconsinites and go with Sprecher. For some reason the honey makes it that much smoother, like cream soda.

also walmarts brand Samsclub root beer is good

I picked up a 12 pack of the Sams Club root beer last week for my daughter and niece to share while they were out for Easter break, and I found it surprisingly good.

In fact, I used a can tonight to make a float

All right, you folks down under wondering what this interesting drink tastes like! I've just come back from the CostPlus store, where I found some Bundaberg Root Beer. It appears to be made in the Australian town of the same name...:001_smile

I'll let it cool off for a while and then try some. Some root beers taste more flavorful if you don't add ice to them and don't drink them real cold.

Well, I didn't find the Bundaberg Australian root beer to be very much like root beer as I know it. It has a lot of ginger, for one thing, making it taste like a ginger beer, and apparently it's brewed with malt, meaning that Bundaberg is probably a beer brewery that has a sideline in root beer. (An earlier poster suggested that if you were into home brewing of beer it'd be easy for you to make root beer.) It is somewhat flat in terms of carbonation.

Bottom line: you may or may not like its taste, but if you've never tasted American root beer, Bundaberg will not give you an idea of what that taste is.

I don't know much about fancy root beer. I do like Stewart's on occasion. But my favorite everyday root beer is Barq's.

Tim

Another Virgil's fan here:biggrin:. It was Henry Weinhards previously. Ten years ago after a long 5 day back pack trip our first beverage was HW root beer. That's been a tradition since. After our trip last year, my buddies wife couldn't find Henry's anywhere, so met us at the trailhead with Virgil's. I was very dissappointed until I tried it. Essence of the Gods:w00t:

My current root beer of choice is Hansen's. It's sweetened with cane sugar, rather than high fructose corn syrup (HFCS). If I have to drink HFCS root beer, I go for A & W.

Mike

IBC is the only soda that my grandparents allowed in their house. Reminds me of summers in Louisiana cutting the grass in 100 degree weather, and walking into the air conditioned house with an IBC waiting for me...

At least you have happy memories about IBC root beer.

On my way to Maryland from Michigan, I got pulled over because I was drinking IBC in the car. Granted it was probably not the best idea, but at the time I didn't think anything of it. The officer was convinced I was intoxicated and asked me to take a few coordination tests. Finally, I said, "Officer, with all due respect, I am not under the influence of any drugs or alcohol. If you look at the bottle, it clearly says IBC root beer." I then proceeded to give a bottle to the officer, so he could enjoy it too (it was a very hot day).

He let me off with a warning.

Note to self: Don't drink IBC in the car, even if you think it's harmless. Well, at least don't drink out of the bottle :wink:

Definitely love IBC, A&W (preferably draft) and Big Buck micro brewery.

when i was younger a treat was a cold glass bottle of frostie root beer after the long drive to florida to visit family.dad's was good too.

On my way to Maryland from Michigan, I got pulled over because I was drinking IBC in the car. Granted it was probably not the best idea, but at the time I didn't think anything of it. The officer was convinced I was intoxicated and asked me to take a few coordination tests. Finally, I said, "Officer, with all due respect, I am not under the influence of any drugs or alcohol. If you look at the bottle, it clearly says IBC root beer." I then proceeded to give a bottle to the officer, so he could enjoy it too (it was a very hot day).

Note to self: Don't drink IBC in the car, even if you think it's harmless. Well, at least don't drink out of the bottle :wink:

Pulled over for root beer? :lol:

:lol:
I chuckled loud enough to confused my flatmates.

I had a friend of mine get arrested recently for not being able to pass a sobriety test, while sober.

:lol:
I chuckled loud enough to confused my flatmates.

I had a friend of mine get arrested recently for not being able to pass a sobriety test, while sober.

:lol::lol::lol:

Reminds me of a joke about a guy that gets pulled over and told to walk down the yellow line to prove his sobriety. As luck would have it, he manages to walk a perfectly straight line. Unfortunately he still gets a ticket for drunk driving because the yellow line was curved...

I personally think the best root beer is A&W draft that you get at the fast food joints. Not a regular fountain but the actual beer draft. Nothing beats than and a hot dog. I go to eat there sometimes just for the root beer. I have been trying to research to see if I could get it delivered and have my own tap at the house!

I was stationed in Okinawa, Japan in the early 80s. Excited by the chance to live in a new culture, I couldn't wait to get out and see the island with my friends. One of my first days out, I was driving down a coastal highway and was stunned to see an A&W Drive-Up. I expected McDonalds and the like, but this was like something out of the '50s. Turns out that there were several of them along the busy highways on the island. It became a regular stop--nothing like a frosty mug of root beer on an unbelievably hot day. Later on, when my family and I were in Okinawa again, we were faithful patrons. Sadly, until recently we've never lived anywhere in the US with a nearby A&W

A while ago, my older daughter was talking about Japanese foods. She listed curly fries with chili and cheese and root beer among her favorites.

Logging off now to go to the store and get some cane-sweetened bottles of brew.

Top Bottom