What's new

Rolling the edge

Is there a way to tell whether you've rolled the edge other than feeling dull while shaving? I feel like my razor gets sharper when I add slight pressure on the edge while stropping but I'm worried that doing that might roll the edge. I have a lot of confidence in the honing of my razors and in all other aspects of my straight shaving technique but I still don't feel like my razor is getting sharp even though I follow the recommended technique. Does anyone know of variations or things to help my stropping technique? What am I missing?

you may be applying unequal pressure when you strop each side of your razor and this might round off one side of the edge ... it might not be rolled over but it may be rounded a bit and this will make the blade feel a bit dull when you shave.

My suspicion is that your sharpening process before stropping is the area needing reviewed. At first, I gave more relative importance to stropping than I do now. And, it is important. As time has gone on, I have become convinced that the blade needs to be very sharp before the strop, and stropping is just to tame the edge and smooth it slightly.

Put another way, when my edge is "right" going to the strop, stropping is quite easy and in fact very hard to not do adequately. Which is another way to say again that I suspect the blade is not quite where it should be when you start to strop.

Top Bottom