What's new

Rocnel SE-G & Wolfram WR3

I have been in the lookout for modern GEM razor. I have read on another forum that Murat has some in stock from time to time and that he is charging 350 Euros for a single unit. I also came across various second hand ones, all of which varied a lot form each other in terms of pricing. Does anyone remember what was its cost when it was first offered?

Moreover, has anyone tried any of the two razors? If so, how do they compare to each other or other GEM razors like the MMOC?

Did you mean Wolfman WR3? It's hard to make comparisons because first of all, my WR3 shaves like no other Gem type razor that I own. Secondly, they are available on a variety of blade gaps, as well as both open comb, and solid safety bar versions. Mine has a .40 gap and a solid safety bar.

I have never used a Rochnel razor, so I can't comment on those.

I don't know the original pricing but know it was definitely less, maybe around $200... rarely see them for sale secondhand. When I made enquiries Murat was charging €285 without shipping last year. He makes them sometimes but be prepared to wait. In the end I stuck with the Wolfman which is fantastic. I gather the Rocnel needs care and can be vicious in the wrong hands -- but I've never tried it myself.

Take a look at the WR3 thread, I've tried a bunch of different plates and really like mine.

It's quite a different shave to the Micromatic. Clamping and control of the blade edge is considerably better with the modern design. I highly recommend both the Wolfman and the Atelier Durdan Vestige.

I don't know the original pricing but know it was definitely less, maybe around $200... rarely see them for sale secondhand. When I made enquiries Murat was charging €285 without shipping last year. He makes them sometimes but be prepared to wait. In the end I stuck with the Wolfman which is fantastic. I gather the Rocnel needs care and can be vicious in the wrong hands -- but I've never tried it myself.

Take a look at the WR3 thread, I've tried a bunch of different plates and really like mine.

It's quite a different shave to the Micromatic. Clamping and control of the blade edge is considerably better with the modern design. I highly recommend both the Wolfman and the Atelier Durdan Vestige.
My memory could be wrong, but I thought it was over $200; maybe $215 or $225 or so?

For what it's worth, I tried it in a lass around and I didn't like it at all. All of the vintage Gems I tried shaved better.

Thank you. I will check out the WR3 and Vestige threads. WR3's thread is a long one but I will go through it all. The more info the better. Does the higher blade gap in WR3 translate to more efficiency?

Loved the design of Atelier's GEM razor. That is one gorgeous looking razor! I want to get one GEM razor for the time being as I am dabbling into shavettes and AC razors too. It will be a tough choice to make.

My memory could be wrong, but I thought it was over $200; maybe $215 or $225 or so?

For what it's worth, I tried it in a lass around and I didn't like it at all. All of the vintage Gems I tried shaved better.
Lot of reviews mentioned the aggressiveness of the Rocnel. I have come across aggressive razors that do not compensate for the lack of discomfort with efficiency. But very few comparisons to the vintage ones that are widely discussed.
$200 was a guess, could well have been more but many reviews would seem to agree with your assessment.

$300 or €350 is an expensive way to find out.
I asked Murat directly. And yes it is at 350 euros. For that price, I would be targeting a razor that is considered a holy grail by many.

Does the higher blade gap in WR3 translate to more efficiency?

Yes but the exposure adds up if you go for the higher gaps

.25 = 0
.30 = 0.025
.35 = 0.05
.40 = 0.07
.45 = 0.10
.50 = 0.12
.60 = 0.15 (same exposure as Vestige Ultra +++)

I don't know the numbers but the .74 OC prototype had very pronounced blade feel. It's a very personal choice to which baseplate will work for you.

Top Bottom