What's new

Recommend me a new razor

I find the Merkur open combs to be one fine razor. #1 for me is the 1904, #2 is the HD. I don't think you could go wrong with either one. :001_tongu

I got a Deluxe Bull Mastiff with New Long Tooth Comb from Bob just before Christmas and love it. I was skeptical of the open comb at first but I am now a major supporter. I have thick, coarse hair and the open comb seems made to take it down. I had used the Muhle R89 (same head as the Jagger), Gillette Slim Adjustable and a 1946-47 Aristocrat Adjustable none of which came close to giving me the shave I get with the open comb.

One thing I discovered about the open comb, you do not need to use pressure. I had gotten use to buffing fairly hard in an effort to get a good shave. My first shave with the open comb I was a little timid and got a great shave. The next few shaves I sort of resorted to my older technique of pressing too hard and got a few nicks and some razor rash. The razor rash caused me to back off with the pressure and returned me to a great shave. The open comb gives me a much closer shave with far less pressure. Less pressure gives me a very comfortable nick and burn free shave with less passes, time and buffing. I think the less pressure rule applies even more with Bob's heavy handle. Let the open teeth and weight of the razor do the work.

Top Bottom