What's new

Recommend me a new razor

My parker 91r broke yesterday (merry christmas) so I'm looking to replace it with something of a higher quality. I have a pretty heavy beard and like an aggressive razor. Would you recommend an open tooth, or something else? Thanks

If you're looking for quality, you might want to check out the Edwin Jagger DE89 Still The Best! thread to see if that one meets your needs. It's certainly getting great reviews here.

If you're looking for quality, you might want to check out the Edwin Jagger DE89 Still The Best! thread to see if that one meets your needs. It's certainly getting great reviews here.

The jagger looks impressive, and in my price range. It seems I have some thinking to do.

the edwin jagger DE89 would be a great choice. the quality is high, the shave is awesome and the price is affordable.

shavingessentials.net has them for $28 but is out of the lined chrome, which is my personal favorite.

I would recommend you the gillette NEW open comb, a really fine razor that will give you a nice shave, get the one with the "long tooth" model as opposed to the short tooth one. Also the open tooth aristocrat is a good choice. The fatboy will dial up to a very sharp attack but will not do as well on a heavy beard because of the closed comb guard but not a bad choice at all. You can also look around for an Old Type with the open comb, get the one with the thicker cap I think it is the 102 cap if you like the really old nostalgic razors. good luck, bc

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Open Comb (Gillette NEW or Merkur OC)
or
Slant (Vintage or new)

My parker 91r broke yesterday (merry christmas) so I'm looking to replace it with something of a higher quality. I have a pretty heavy beard and like an aggressive razor. Would you recommend an open tooth, or something else? Thanks

If you have a heavy beard and like an aggressive razor then I'd say (as already mentioned) the Futur might be the one for you. Providing you want an adjustable.
My beard gets aggressive (not a typo), but any setting higher than 3 on the Futur, make my palms sweat. :/
I'm no expert, but I do own the Futur.

Other razors mentioned in this thread are the Barber Pole and the Gillette slim adjustable.
Two razors I intend to own. The slim is on it's way as I type which would mean I'll own two adjustable's.
The question I'd like to ask (which may help you in your search) would be, which fixed razor between the Barber Pole and another I have my greedy eye on...the Gillette red tip.
To those who know...what would be the best choice?

I to think this is a great razor I have it in the DE89L. I got this off a member here and it instantly became my go to razor. Just so you know i was using a merkur38c barber pole and a gillette slim. The slim will be going bye bye soon :biggrin1: as well as the 38c barber pole. I am thinking of buying another just so i can sleep at night if there is a nuclear explosion and i need another....:wink2:

As has been said before, you can't wrong with the EJ razors. I have a Chatsworth (it has the same head as the DE89) and it is the best razor I have ever used. Great shaver.

I would recommend you the gillette NEW open comb, a really fine razor that will give you a nice shave, get the one with the "long tooth" model as opposed to the short tooth one. Also the open tooth aristocrat is a good choice. The fatboy will dial up to a very sharp attack but will not do as well on a heavy beard because of the closed comb guard but not a bad choice at all. You can also look around for an Old Type with the open comb, get the one with the thicker cap I think it is the 102 cap if you like the really old nostalgic razors. good luck, bc

I agree - the long comb New is a nice aggressive shave. Here is the one I got from Cooncat Bob; it provides a nice close shave.

the edwin jagger DE89 would be a great choice. the quality is high, the shave is awesome and the price is affordable.

shavingessentials.net has them for $28 but is out of the lined chrome, which is my personal favorite.

This is precisely the reason why I should stay away from these boards... Oh John?

Top Bottom