What's new

Rebel XSI question

Ok, so my wife buy's this canon digital rebel, and I'm sure it's great. However, it came with a 70-300mm lens, which is great for the great outdoors but not so much for pics of razors and such :wink:

So the question is, what lens would you guys recommend for me to get so that I can take close ups of my toys + quality pictures of my kids without having to back up all the way across the room?

Thanks for the help

Ok, so my wife buy's this canon digital rebel, and I'm sure it's great. However, it came with a 70-300mm lens, which is great for the great outdoors but not so much for pics of razors and such :wink:

So the question is, what lens would you guys recommend for me to get so that I can take close ups of my toys + quality pictures of my kids without having to back up all the way across the room?

Thanks for the help

Something with a shorter focal length like a 18-55mm. My Xti came with both the 18-55mm and a 70-300mm. The Auto focus no longer works on my 18-55mm. (I dropped it) Now I have a 20-80mm lense.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Normally, these cameras come with a 18-55 zoom lens as well if you get the kit. If not, you have quite a choice from Canon regarding lenses, all depends on what do you want or can spend. As a matter of fact, the pictures I took of the brushes I posted here are taken mostly with the very cheap (about $80) 1.8/50 II mm lens. This lens is pretty good for such a cheap one. Here is a very good website for camera and lens reviews:
http://www.dpreview.com/

Normally, these cameras come with a 18-55 zoom lens as well if you get the kit. If not, you have quite a choice from Canon regarding lenses, all depends on what do you want or can spend. As a matter of fact, the pictures I took of the brushes I posted here are taken mostly with the very cheap (about $80) 1.8/50 II mm lens. This lens is pretty good for such a cheap one. Here is a very good website for camera and lens reviews:
http://www.dpreview.com/

Yeah, for some reason it didn't come with the 18-55mm lens (I was really confused about that). Thanks for the link.

I think what you are looking for would be classified as a macro lens. Most conventional lenses aren't built for short distance focusing, ie close-ups of small things. So your best bet is to look for a lens that is designated "macro".

I think what you are looking for would be classified as a macro lens. Most conventional lenses aren't built for short distance focusing, ie close-ups of small things. So your best bet is to look for a lens that is designated "macro".

Thanks. That's what I was thinking, but I wanted some of you guys that know a little more than me to help me out. What size specifically would you recommend?

That depends on what you are looking for in a lens, and how much you are willing to spend. Most of the macro lenses I have used are fixed lenses meaning unable to zoom in and out. A wide angle lens will allow more of the object to be viewed but sometimes at the cost of distortion, a fish eye lens. A 50 mm. is most like the human eye. I have used canons' 100 mm. macro and found it a very sharp focusing lens able to focus at short distances but it is a pricey piece of glass. Regardless of what you buy look into the specs and see if you can find the minimum focusing distance for a particular lens that will be a good indicator if it will be useful for you, in this case the shorter the better. I have had very good luck with a company called Calumet http://www.calumetphoto.com/
Do a quick search and you should be able to find what you need.

That depends on what you are looking for in a lens, and how much you are willing to spend. Most of the macro lenses I have used are fixed lenses meaning unable to zoom in and out. A wide angle lens will allow more of the object to be viewed but sometimes at the cost of distortion, a fish eye lens. A 50 mm. is most like the human eye. I have used canons' 100 mm. macro and found it a very sharp focusing lens able to focus at short distances but it is a pricey piece of glass. Regardless of what you buy look into the specs and see if you can find the minimum focusing distance for a particular lens that will be a good indicator if it will be useful for you, in this case the shorter the better. I have had very good luck with a company called Calumet http://www.calumetphoto.com/

Thanks a lot.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks

A nice macro would be great; Canon makes an EF-S 2.8/60 macro especially for the cameras with the small sensor, cost somewhere around $400 - this one is on my list! The EF 1.8/50 mm II, however, is on the Rebel XSi is more like a 80 mm lens - when compared to a 35 mm camera or the large sensor size cameras.

Top Bottom