What's new

Razorock Silver/Black Hawk razor

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
Has anyone had a chance to use these? I'm interested in how they shave. I have a shovel head now. do shave as well or better than it?

Been shaving with one for week. Kind of on the mild side with no irritation. Find the angle and it shaves nice. I'm still on the same blade. Going to let face grow for a few days and see how it does. Having to make about 4 passes and its bbs. No nicks. The razor could use a little extra weight .

They are a mild razor for one that is using the Feather Pro style blade. The Feather Pro blades are sharper than any DE blade you've likely used so you can usually get accomplished in two passes what it takes a DE blade three to cut. Most of the other Feather Pro style razors are quite a bit more aggressive so this one is a nice entry into those blades.

I much prefer the ATT SE1 over this razor but that one runs $185 which is substantially more than the twenty five or so bucks that the Hawk can be had for. It's aluminum and built quality is decent. You shouldn't see any obvious flaws with the razor but the threads might not be as smooth as the really high end ones. The biggest positive with this one is the price while the biggest negative for me is that it's an extremely light weight razor. I would have preferred it to be a bit more aggressive as well.

I've never tried a shovel head razor but I can tell you that for the money the Hawk razors are definitely worth trying, especially if you haven't tried the Feather Pro style blades.

I use mine with a stainless handle and it gives me the extra weight it needs. It shaves closer for me than gem blade razors which is really saying something, I definitely recommend it!

I also use mine with a heftier handle but for me it's still too mild, so I have ordered some super pro to try on it and also give the General a spin with them.

I have one now but not used it as of yet- I echo the others about how light it is.

If you are after an aggressive shave try El Jefe that is one wild razor.

I have 3 of them (chrome, black and brushed) and while I prefer the General and the high end AC razors, the Hawk is an incredible razor for $25. It is well made (exceptionally so at this price point) and uses the Artist Club blades, which are sharper than, well, anything.

I've also played around with different handles.

The Hawk are indeed on the mild side. If it were a traditional SE it would be a Gem Featherweight. Even with a heavier handle it is still not nearly as aggressive as a Shovelhead.

--Bob

I like mine, been at least 2 months and reach for it 90% of the time. It is smooth. I've tried others, Cobra and King Cobra, they were both more aggressive and not as comfortable. I would say it is very similar to the Mongoose without the heavy price tag or quality control issues Mongoose has had. It is light, I tried different handles but came back to the furnished handle and found that I really like the nimbleness it provides. Great razor, well made and I would buy it again.

Just ordered one today, Black Hawk, Satin was available at the time too. Looking forward to trying Feathers Artist club professional blades for the first time. Also found some Kai Captain (ordered mild and mild guard) along with some Feathers Artist club guard which will show up within a month. I think I should have ordered from Try a blade for a sample pack instead, but of well (80 blades vs 4). Either-way, IB is a bit backlogged by 3-4 days per the website. IB was also out of stock of the Kai Captain mild (pink) which was a bit of a downer.

Anyone know why IB does not recommend Feathers Artist club "light", are they too short to work?

Anyone know why IB does not recommend Feathers Artist club "light", are they too short to work?

For reasons known only to Feather, the slots in the Feather AC Light blades are cut differently. Since all of the current crop of safety razors utilizing these blades secure the blade with tabs or pins through the slots, the Light blades will not fit any of them.

BTW, despite the disclaimer on the website, all 3 of my Hawks were shipped the next business day after I placed my order.

--Bob

Received the Hawk today. The black finish is very smooth and shiny, I like it. Weight and balance seem appropriate for aluminum razor. It will probably take me a few months to determine if this is a razor that I add to my rotation or keep it as a collection.

On a side note, since I had neck irritation lately, I pulled my feather razor with a feather blade and have a very nice close shave with no irritation. Funny how I thought I would leave this razor in the drawer instead of adding it to my rotation.

First shave this morning was interesting. Used a feather pro blade since IB was out of Kai when I ordered. No issue with the shave. I noted that the first pass had a lot more resistance on the blade then usual, but it was smoothing the skin. You can actually feel the blade catch the whiskers and provide some resistance. Might be related to the weight of the razor. Nice feedback.

Not sure why people claim these feather blades are evil. Do they give irritation cuts out of the blue after have perfect shaves? Time will tell.

I have cut myself more with a dull blade than a brand new blade. I use mainly feathers in de and se. Just take your time. If u r in a hurry grab a fusion cart.

Received one in Black today. Changed handle to a heavier bulldog handle and loaded a Feather super ( kept reading the "mild" reviews) Two day beard, MWF and pre shave.

Surprisingly good two pass shave, no cuts, nicks or weepers!
I normally go to Cobra, Asylum or King Cobra and have tried others.

Better for me than ATT, Mongoose.

Will use again.

I had my first shave yesterday with the Black Hawk and Feather Pros. Very smooth, comfortable and easy shave. Not the very closest, (I'm very fussy!) but still very good. I don't use SE razors a lot, but I already like this more than others I have tried, though I've mostly used old Gem razors.
The blades are a little pricey, and I have many other very good DE shaves, but the Black Hawk certainly deserves a place in my rotation.
By the way, I don't feel the need to put a heavy handle on it. The balance with the handles supplied wad excellent. If you can carry blades with you, or mail them ahead, this would make a good travel razor. An absolute bargain at the price. Of you're on the fence buy one!

Top Bottom