What's new

Razorock Beehive Synthetic / You don't always get what you pay for....

I just received my Razorback Beehive, that I had ordered because after 25 years of using ivory coloured Simpson´s badger brushes, i felt like testing a synthetic. 12,50 EUR, the fun color and styling, let's see how it performs compared to my silvertip chubby 3.

The first shock after opening the package was the size, wow should have read the small print, the brush feels giant even compared to my Chubby 3.
The knot looks perfect, almost to perfect, which gives it a slightly "unnatural" look, maybe the knot maker should intentionally add some imperfections to the bristles.
It has a good backbone and does not scratch, of course it doesn't hold water like natural bristles, but since I don't soak my brushes lengthly before lathering, that doesn't bother me. I used Mühle sea buckthorn soap and it built up lather fast and felt quite nice on the face.

So now I know, I enjoy synthetic knots but not huge brushes, the whole experience was good apart from the fact that one brush load can probably shave 10 people. I still prefer my Simpson, but would I buy it again, having the synthetic option for a fracture of the price......

if one likes huge brushes, the beehive is worth a try, cause here you get even more than what you paid for.
If you are looking for your first brush, I would recommend a synthetic brush, no need for a scratchy, budget boar bristle or a starter badger.

But don't just order based on the picture, like I did. :em2300:

My son saw the beehive an instantly loved it, apparently bigger is better. While i spent the evening reading about synthetics and opted for a plisson facet cut in black with high mountain white fibre. Now let’s find out what the cadillac of synthetics can do…. Apparently a bargain for 60 EUR, but still way cheaper than a silvertip and hopefully my new holiday brush.

I had a Beehive Tech which sells on Ebay for $20. My Sterling 2 band is about the same size and for $14.99 a nicer brush too.

Reactions: Kix
No but a picture of yours would be nice and helpful. :001_unsur

What is a Beehive Tech? Do explain, please.
0476B165-7F81-4B63-8C52-A4FEE7F0AB23.jpeg
F4D2DE89-7508-418D-BAC9-27BF06ED049B.jpeg

I just received my Razorback Beehive, that I had ordered because after 25 years of using ivory coloured Simpson´s badger brushes, i felt like testing a synthetic. 12,50 EUR, the fun color and styling, let's see how it performs compared to my silvertip chubby 3.

The first shock after opening the package was the size, wow should have read the small print, the brush feels giant even compared to my Chubby 3.
The knot looks perfect, almost to perfect, which gives it a slightly "unnatural" look, maybe the knot maker should intentionally add some imperfections to the bristles.
It has a good backbone and does not scratch, of course it doesn't hold water like natural bristles, but since I don't soak my brushes lengthly before lathering, that doesn't bother me. I used Mühle sea buckthorn soap and it built up lather fast and felt quite nice on the face.

So now I know, I enjoy synthetic knots but not huge brushes, the whole experience was good apart from the fact that one brush load can probably shave 10 people. I still prefer my Simpson, but would I buy it again, having the synthetic option for a fracture of the price......

if one likes huge brushes, the beehive is worth a try, cause here you get even more than what you paid for.
If you are looking for your first brush, I would recommend a synthetic brush, no need for a scratchy, budget boar bristle or a starter badger.

But don't just order based on the picture, like I did. :em2300:
The Razorock plissoft brushes are excellent. I've settled on the Monster and Big Bruce, both with smaller 26mm knots, and they work really well with all but a couple of my hardest soaps that require a boar. Both make short work of face lathering and also work well building lather on the puck.

As they are very affordable consider one of these or an even smaller knot such as the 24mm plissoft in the regular Bruce.

Interestingly I started with a cheap Van Der Hagen boar (sheds and the know falls out in 8-9 months) and a small 22mm no-name synthetic from Amazon. My initial reaction to the Monster was similar to how you reacted to the beehive. Once I got used to it after a few shaves I'd never consider going back given how well it works.

linty1

My wallet cries.
I do like the detailed ridges on that beehive, and the big bruce is beauty in simplicity for sure, its too bad I got a big bruce in my very early days of de shaving and got frustrated with how it globbed water/made a cone etc. etc. I was just an inexperienced person blaming his tools. I wish I had kept it.

I do like the detailed ridges on that beehive, and the big bruce is beauty in simplicity for sure, its too bad I got a big bruce in my very early days of de shaving and got frustrated with how it globbed water/made a cone etc. etc. I was just an inexperienced person blaming his tools. I wish I had kept it.
You could always get another one

This XL RazoRock beehive makes a great ultra-plush pom pom for applying body-powder. A+ for that use.

For shaving? An abomination for my personal taste. It is synthetic and it feels synthetic.

Give me natural bristles anytime.

Bill

Top Bottom