What's new

Purchased a lot, got two new mystery hones.

So I snagged a lot for the Thuri last week. Paid a little extra because the sides of the little stone looked a bit like a pierre to me, but didn't expect much.

The little stone shaves great. Like I said, the sides look like a Pierre, the pattern/color is definitely in the realm of Pierre, but I wouldn't say indicative of one. The feel however is a dead ringer for my Apache. A little too hard for Pierre (it'd be my hardest one if it in fact is). Shave quality definitely in the realm of pierre/thuri/apache. Towards the top end of them in fact. Harder than any Pierre or Thuri I own but probably softer than an apache (hard enough I'd have to test that).

The cut makes me think it's not a foundstone, but rather was sold. It strikes me as a 200x50x10mm or similar size that broke in half.

It's soaking in Simple Green right now. I don't think it's a oil-soaked Thuri; but maybe pulling some oil out of it will make ID'ing it easier.

The other stone feels like a really hard and fine Hindostan to me and I wouldn't be surprised if that's what it turns out to be... but it's so oil-soaked it could be anything. (I actually was expecting it'd be a garbage synth that'd go in the bin). I've only played with it a bit with knives to get a feel for it, and I took a finished razor to it for a bit. Razor still HHT like it came off a finisher after, but it's possible the stone is just so clogged and gunked up it didn't do much. Further testing on this stone is also waiting on the results of a Simple Green soak. It's most distinct marking is that deep cut going along the side at an angle, similar to ones we've seen on some large UK hones others have found (usually squareish cut but in long segments), you can see it a little bit in the bottom picture of the auction.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/361605140105?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Images are the small stone and large one, in that order.

Attachments

• $20160703_142838.jpg
    $20160703_142838.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 91
  • $20160703_234002.jpg
    $20160703_234002.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 92

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Nice grab. Looking forward to seeing them after they're cleaned up

The little one cleaned up very odd. It definitely looks synthetic now. The only Natural it reminds me of (in many ways now) is the Apache. Thing is, with how it arrived, I really doubt it could be one. It appeared to have many years of buildup on it. I'm leaning towards a 5x2" Barbers Synth I've never seen before with the top/imprinted area broken off. It's dry in the images, so all the patterning is part of the stone or staining, not water.

The stone it most closely resembles visually is this strange stone I got from the UK awhile back. Also a very good finisher. It is cut long like a slate (very differently from this stone), but has a depression in the back side (for a label I suspect) that makes me think it's a synth. The latter two images are this stone for comparison.

Attachments

• $stone.jpg
    $stone.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 80
  • $1.jpg
    $1.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 76
  • $2.jpg
    $2.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 80
I lapped down the backside of the stone, it shows a more noticeable pattern. Image is backside of stone, wet.

The stone is very grey dry, but very green when wet. Slurry is likewise grey when dry, but a yellow hue wet.

Interestingly, the stone behaves much less like the Apache, and more like a Pierre/Thuri after the Simple Green soak, so it apparently was clogged somewhat before. I'm less convinced that it's a synth now, especially given the backside appearance (and the color changing when wet), but it doesn't match any other stones I own. I suspect it's probably a similar type of stone to the Pierre, as it does have a lot of similarities (Very similar in use and resulting edges, the stone gouges in a very similar way); but it is slightly harder and actually seems a bit faster. It also seems more porous/absorbent than a Pierre (though possibly the SG soak has something to do with that). Finally, it's cut very evenly to 2" wide. Pierres tend to be more rounded off or coffin shaped with their cuts. Much "rawer" looking. A very intriguing stone.

The other stone I've not played with much, but it's not a finisher I'd say. It's simply very slow/almost useless with razors. Probably a tool/knife hone. Midrange possibly. I'll get to it in a bit.

Attachments

• $stone.jpg
    $stone.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Also forgot to mention. It's way, way, waaaay softer than Apache. Actually only maybe a hair harder than my hardest Pierre. My Apache cuts through this stone like a hot knife through butter.

Top Bottom