What's new

Proactiv

She better not be!!!! She goes to an all girls Catholic high school and so seems more boy crazy than most public school girls in the neighborhood, that's for sure!!! And I'm sure the neighbor public school boys have the same impression of Catholic school girls that I did growing up. I just hope we haven't created a monster!!! :eek:

I'm sure you have nothing to worry about. :smile: Just a disclaimer from the health care viewpoint. (See Below)

Antibiotics and Birth Control: Fact or Fiction?

Women have been hearing stories for years about how taking penicillin or other antibiotics can interfere with the effectiveness of birth control pills. However, according to the Mayo Clinic (http://www.mayoclinic.com), a leading healthcare facility, no large, long-range studies have proven antibiotics to cause major interference with the pill. Only one antibiotic, rifampin, has shown to definitively cause loss of effectiveness.
Of course, a small percentage of women may experience decreased effectiveness with the use of other antibiotics, so doctors usually advise all women to use a condom or other backup method of birth control while on antibiotics. There is no way of knowing if you are in that percentage until it is too late. New versions of the birth control pill in low-dose form may be more prone to decreased effectiveness.
Antibiotics are thought to interfere with the metabolization of birth control pills. Birth control pills are usually given a 95 to 99 percent effectiveness rate. The studies that have been done show a very small difference in effectiveness. Usually the difference is less than 1 percent.
A partner taking antibiotics will not interfere with a woman’s use of birth control pills.

I'm sure you have nothing to worry about. :smile: Just a disclaimer from the health care viewpoint. (See Below)

Antibiotics and Birth Control: Fact or Fiction?

Women have been hearing stories for years about how taking penicillin or other antibiotics can interfere with the effectiveness of birth control pills. However, according to the Mayo Clinic (http://www.mayoclinic.com), a leading healthcare facility, no large, long-range studies have proven antibiotics to cause major interference with the pill. Only one antibiotic, rifampin, has shown to definitively cause loss of effectiveness.
Of course, a small percentage of women may experience decreased effectiveness with the use of other antibiotics, so doctors usually advise all women to use a condom or other backup method of birth control while on antibiotics. There is no way of knowing if you are in that percentage until it is too late. New versions of the birth control pill in low-dose form may be more prone to decreased effectiveness.
Antibiotics are thought to interfere with the metabolization of birth control pills. Birth control pills are usually given a 95 to 99 percent effectiveness rate. The studies that have been done show a very small difference in effectiveness. Usually the difference is less than 1 percent.
A partner taking antibiotics will not interfere with a woman’s use of birth control pills.

Very reassuring, thanks!!! I won't be telling her that anytime soon, though! :smile:

I know accutane has some issues, and it should be taken seriously. And, while it has a bad rap and has been linked to suicidal tendencies, I can 100% say that the drug has done nothing but make me happier; it's amazing the confidence I gained when I had clear skin. I should also note that, to this day, I carry a lip balm in my pocket, as I need to constantly reapply it as the drug has, likely permanently, dried out my lips (they're not chapped, just feel dry). This is a noted side effect of the drug, and doesn't bother me at all. I just thought I'd share.

Long story short, if I could do it all over again, I'd get accutane as soon as possible. Good luck.

Ryan

I'm sorry I have to take issue with this. Accutane is a very strong medication and for some cases it works wonders for others it's a terrible thing. When I was in high school there was a well-respected dermatologist who presribed it for 95% of his patients regardless of severity and without trying any other approaches. Approximately 1/3 of my graduating class was on it. And it caused a lot of unneccesary health problems for a lot of kids and I'm not talking about dry skin. Needless to say, this dermatologist is no longer in practice and I'm very thankful.
Like I said with proper dosing and diagnosis, Accutane is a very good med, but it not for everyone by any means. Accutane was developed to treat more severe cases and not for mild acne and should only be used after other avenues have been exhausted.

She better not be!!!! She goes to an all girls Catholic high school and so seems more boy crazy than most public school girls in the neighborhood, that's for sure!!! And I'm sure the neighbor public school boys have the same impression of Catholic school girls that I did growing up. I just hope we haven't created a monster!!! :eek:

Oh, no need to worry, after high school, she'll go straight to the convent to become a nun. :biggrin:

I wouldn't worry about her going to a Catholic all-girls school, when I was in college, a lot of girls there were from all girl Catholic schools and they were far more modest than the general population. I am sure she'll always be great.

R

rixrock

buyer beware!! As a owner of a day spa we see lots of the proactive afters coming in for damaged skin. yea it works, but at the cost of your skin. it completley strips the skin and plays hell with the ph of the skin so after about 6 months of use your skin reaches melt down and then you get to go to a skin professional to fix the mess. save your money and start with the prfoessional. the post about cutting down on soda and fast food is the ticket

buyer beware!! As a owner of a day spa we see lots of the proactive afters coming in for damaged skin. yea it works, but at the cost of your skin. it completley strips the skin and plays hell with the ph of the skin so after about 6 months of use your skin reaches melt down and then you get to go to a skin professional to fix the mess. save your money and start with the prfoessional.

I'm not doubting your expertise, but I'm curious, It has been stated numerous times earlier in the thread that Proactiv uses the same ingredients as many other leading problems only charges more. If it does this much damage, wouldn't all the products (Oxy, Clearasil, etc) do just as much damage?

Hear is my take on this.

I've dealt with acne (moderate then, mild now) for the past 15 years and, although my complexion is far from perfect, it is the clearest today than it ever has been post-puberty. I, like most of you I'm sure, have tried it all and yes, that does include Proactiv and doctor visits.

I'm sure that Proactiv is a YMMV thing, but if the previous posts in this thread are any indication, I think you would be better off saving the $40-$60 a month and go with some cetaphil and a light moisturizer. For me, the Proactiv wasn't very effective and I eventually abandoned that ship.

Of course, hat's off to the fine gentlemen of B&B as well who exponentially raised my awareness of skin care. Armed with that knowledge I've switched out my routine and replaced it with great shaves and light cleansing, followed by a light moisturizer. So far my results have spoken for themselves, which is to say, I'm much happier today than I was in high school and college.

Disclaimer: I'm sure hormones, stress, and diet also play a huge role.

I have never tried proactiv, but have a friend that uses (used?) it with little results.

When I was a teenager (not too long ago), I used accutane, and had extraordinary results when nothing, and I mean nothing, else worked. My acne wasn't horrible, but noticeable and persistent. My good friends from high school also used it with tremendous results.

I know accutane has some issues, and it should be taken seriously. And, while it has a bad rap and has been linked to suicidal tendencies, I can 100% say that the drug has done nothing but make me happier; it's amazing the confidence I gained when I had clear skin. I should also note that, to this day, I carry a lip balm in my pocket, as I need to constantly reapply it as the drug has, likely permanently, dried out my lips (they're not chapped, just feel dry). This is a noted side effect of the drug, and doesn't bother me at all. I just thought I'd share.

Long story short, if I could do it all over again, I'd get accutane as soon as possible. Good luck.

Ryan

I'll second acutane with caution. It cured my acne, which was cystic and widespread. I have not had a pimple for 14 years.

BUT if your acne is not severe, use topicals (Benzoyl peroxide, Retin A) first. Acutane it is essentially a toxic dose of vitamin A and has strong side effects (the depression thing is hogwash IMO and it was reported in less than 0.5% of cases in any event).

Any topical should be given 3 months to evaluate its effectiveness before you change.

Buyer Beware. Their company is currently harassing me via bills they are sending me. I placed one trial order using a money order. They said they sent me another and billed me for it. Not only did I not get another, I didn't ask for it. They said everyone is sent one each month regardless. I told them that this was a one time offer and they responded that all of their commercials state that customers are placed in the monthly club. First of all, the commercial that I bought from did not mention this, and second, just 3 days ago, there was another commercial and no mention of automatic club membership. They are threatening to send my bill to a collection agency and they are threatening my credit. I have contacted the Ohio Attorney General's Office and they are currently investigating them. There are already several similar complaints on the AG website. Check it out.

Just beware before ordering. Neutrogena also has a comparable product.

Just beware before ordering. Neutrogena also has a comparable product.[/QUOTE said:
Some or my family members have used both the Proactiv and Neutrogena products. Their general consensus is that the Neutrogena products work slightly better and cost less.

Earlier I said my mother-in-law had a standing order coming monthly to our house (not hers) for my teenage daughter. Now I'm wondering if my she even realizes she has had a standing order for the last year or so. I guess I better ask!!! :confused:

Neutrogena has a competing product that is packaged with the three products that are similar to Proactiv. The package will say that it competes with Proactiv.

Hear is my take on this.

I've dealt with acne (moderate then, mild now) for the past 15 years and, although my complexion is far from perfect, it is the clearest today than it ever has been post-puberty. I, like most of you I'm sure, have tried it all and yes, that does include Proactiv and doctor visits.

I'm sure that Proactiv is a YMMV thing, but if the previous posts in this thread are any indication, I think you would be better off saving the $40-$60 a month and go with some cetaphil and a light moisturizer. For me, the Proactiv wasn't very effective and I eventually abandoned that ship.

Of course, hat's off to the fine gentlemen of B&B as well who exponentially raised my awareness of skin care. Armed with that knowledge I've switched out my routine and replaced it with great shaves and light cleansing, followed by a light moisturizer. So far my results have spoken for themselves, which is to say, I'm much happier today than I was in high school and college.

Disclaimer: I'm sure hormones, stress, and diet also play a huge role.

I'll make a very similar comment. The Proactiv array consists of 2 main ingredients, the Toner has AHA (alpha-hydroxy acid, in this case glycolic acid, which assists with exfoliation so the pores do not get clogged with dead skin, which can help the acne-causing bacteria to thrive), and the Wash/Moisturizer have BP (benzoyl-peroxide, to kill the acne-causing bacteria).

You can do the same thing on your own. A gentle cleanser (cetaphil, or any generic brand copy, e.g. http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100306&navAction=jump&navCount=0&id=prod1426555 ), AHA containing product (e.g. http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100310&navAction=jump&navCount=1&id=prod8328 ), BP containing product (e.g. http://www.dankernsregimen.com/cart.php?target=help&mode=gel_info ), SPF moisturizer (e.g. http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100738&navAction=jump&navCount=2&id=prod8086 ) will perform just as well, and is considerably more cheap than Proactiv.

This is speaking for my skin personally, you may need to experiment with different products to see what works for you. The most important thing I have found, is consistency. Once night forgetting to wash your face, or forgetting the BP, can wreck weeks of consistency.

Another good link to check out (for acne-related product reviews, discussion, etc.) is http://www.acne.org/messageboard/ .

Best of luck.

J

Burt's Bee's TOMATO SOAP for Troubled Skin followed up with a splash on his
TOMATO TONER....Superb products for acne/rosacea....Believe me I know, I've tried everthing avail over the last 40 years (including ProActiv)...

You can buy these at Whole Foods & most Vitamin/Health Food Stores...
Soap is $7 a bar (but last a long long time), Toner is $9 (i think...)

I've found that leaving my face the hell alone has markedly improved my acne and blemishes. I used to use all kinds of stuff for acne and blemishes, and mostly it just made my face worse and more irritated. I suffered from moderate acne when I was a teenager until now. I've gone through Accutane (works great but is a very harsh drug), Proactiv (like others have said, very overpriced for what it is), and Dan's regimen on acne.org. Out of everything, I believe the best thing that actually worked for my acne was Dan's regimen, and it was the cheapest as well. I no longer use the regimen itself, but I still keep 2.5% benzoyl peroxide and tea tree oil for spots and blemishes. I don't wash my face anymore before I shave, and with the cold rinse I use a dab of Cetaphil cleanser. Before bed I'll use a combination of witch hazel and a couple drops of tea tree oil spread all over my face and neck. Whenever I feel my face getting dirty throughout the day, I'll just wash it with pure water only. I also must say that ever since DE shaving, the quality of my complexion has improved dramatically in a very short period of time. Quite surprisingly! Gentler shaving with good products along with not using much for my face otherwise really made a huge difference for me. To summarize...

1. No face washing before shaving, just splashing it with warm water and then a hot towel for the pre-shave.

2. Post-shave, very modest amount of Cetaphil cleanser. The clear one in the pump bottle.

3. If I feel my face getting dirty, pure water only.

4. Before bed, witch hazel with a couple drops of tea tree oil. I don't even feel the need to use the BP anymore even though I still have it on hand. When I do use it though, I skip the tea tree oil.

5. Otherwise, LEAVE YOUR FACE ALONE! DO NOT pick at it! It's simple advice and sometimes hard to do, I had a very bad habit of it when I had acne and suffered for it.

-Allen

I bought the intro kit for my son from the web site (not through the commercial 800 number) this past Spring. After I got my first renewal shipment, I retured it and received credit, and I e-mailed them and asked them to stop the monthy shipments. They did so without having to contact them again.

I did get a phone call recently about a new offer; I asked the caller to remove me from their list, as I was no longer interested in the product. She was very nice and said she would do so - we'll see if I get further contact from them.

For me, not a bad business experience. YMMV (unfortunately).

Top Bottom