What's new

Post Your Pictures: Japanese Razors

Curiosity got the best of me..or is it RAD? lol...My first Japanese straight razor, certainly not a flawless example, but coupled with an edge put on by the masterful Doc226 it's a magnificent straight.

proxy.php

I've had this Tamahagane forged razor for a few months now. What is even more unique about it than the metal it uses is the porcelain covered handle.
2018_09_02.jpg

I've had this Tamahagane forged razor for a few months now. What is even more unique about it than the metal it uses is the porcelain covered handle.
View attachment 943560
Nice!
But it must be very unique, i have not seen any like yours.
Did you wrap it with rattan?

I just honed mine, i have some more honing/stropping to do, it is not as Sharp as i want it to.

//Mackis

Nice!
But it must be very unique, i have not seen any like yours.
Did you wrap it with rattan?
//Mackis
I've not seen one either since I bought it. The wrapping was already made when I got it, so I don't know what was involved. So far, I've shied away from any Kamisori that would require wrapping as I am not sure how to do that myself in a way that would look tidy enough.

I've not seen one either since I bought it. The wrapping was already made when I got it, so I don't know what was involved. So far, I've shied away from any Kamisori that would require wrapping as I am not sure how to do that myself in a way that would look tidy enough.
Do you shave with it? Im about to try tomorrow when its honed up, took out 2 minor chips today and the last remaining polishing steps and stropping remains.

It's not so difficult to wrap, the one i posted is my first one. I used leather, silk band and floor laquer, dipped it 3 times. the pictures are not so good due to my phones camera and light turns them dark...

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Very nice blade

I have one of those Parker. It looks more like a RSO (basically a knife imitating poorly the shape of a razor), yet I managed to shave with it and from what I remember it was fine. The ergonomic was a bit off.

I guess I'll find out how it is.

The blade has the smallest of smiles. I am new the SR to honing (only about 70 or so SR shaves so far) and hope I can get the edge right in spite of the tiny smile.

It's a somewhat unusual razor in my limited experience. The scales are large and heavy (and very, very nice looking). The spine looks a bit thick. The grind is certainly not hollow ground.

I hope it works out for shaving...

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

I tried mine, first shave with a kamisori, tried to do it traditionally, it took some time to complete the shave….
But with practice and some blood :) comes experience.
It is a little bit different than a straight but it is doable. They are Beautiful, i have it in my rotation now.

Here's a mystery blade. At least it is a mystery to me. 108 Earth is on one side. (with a globe in the middle) Ground in Tokyo is on the other with some lettering above it. Any info is appreciated.

DSCN6175 - Title Shot.jpg DSCN6176 - Back Side.jpg

Top Bottom