What's new

Post Your Catch

I'll tie some today and see if it works. I had another great night with a 5lb steelhead and an 18 inch steelhead.

I just checked out AK Best's fly, and my fly has dubbing under the wing post. It's a great fly,a nd the quill body keeps it nice and thin.

All I seem to catch is catfish.

Should I start keeping them? I have kept a few at first for friends and relatives but never eaten one.

Should I start keeping them? I have kept a few at first for friends and relatives but never eaten one.
Price catfish filets at the nearest meat market. You'll have your answer. Cleaned right, fried right they're a righteous treat. Add hush puppies and slaw, wash it down with a big glass of sweet tea with lemon and take pictures. They'll come in handy if you ever apply for Honorary Southern Citizenship.

Thanks oldblue.

What other type of fish are found around catfish (besides fresh water Drum)? Maybe I can target them more effectively.

Fried catfish are excellent!! In the southeast, and most of the U.S. I suspect, most people will tell you that cornmeal batter is the absolute best way to prepare catfish. They are correct! :thumbup:

Bet that went well on a #2!

It was a blast. And I love the way a CFO sounds when a trout runs.

This was caught on a 4wt. My Abel TR2 sounds great too. I only have 3 nice reels, but I really really love them. There is nothing fun about cheap reels.

$555248_10201052547010314_268657361_n.jpg

Last edited:
It was a blast. And I love the way a CFO sounds when a trout runs.

This was caught on a 4wt. My Abel TR2 sounds great too. I only have 3 nice reels, but I really really love them. There is nothing fun about cheap reels.

View attachment 353413
Pretty country to fish in. Are those ski slopes on the mountain behind you? And yeah, I just love the sound of a click and pawl reel. I've got a disc drag or two and they're fine but there's nothing quite as nice as the sound of strong fish moving away.

Pretty country to fish in. Are those ski slopes on the mountain behind you? And yeah, I just love the sound of a click and pawl reel. I've got a disc drag or two and they're fine but there's nothing quite as nice as the sound of strong fish moving away.

No, not ski slopes. I think what you see is a pathway for electrical wires. We're at about 2500 feet.

The possession limit is four per person so we ate our catch every evening. Our limit was four and the last day most of us caught our limit. I took back three that is allowed under the slot limit (18 inches) and one large one that was over the slot and that one is the one nearest to the camera. In fact, I grilled it last night and it was superb.

We have a tradition of stopping in at the Shore Lunch Diner in International Falls, MN on our way up and back from Canada. We do this every year. They have a sign that reads:

"Fishing.

A jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other end."

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
A couple of pike there on the right bottom I think but yes they are small for pike but big enough to eat for certain. How did you cook the fish that you had there?

A couple of pike there on the right bottom I think but yes they are small for pike but big enough to eat for certain. How did you cook the fish that you had there?

We fried some and grilled some others. The grilled ones we left the skin on one side but removed the bones. Put some salt, pepper, seasoned salt, and butter on each fish and grilled them for a few minutes. The grilled ones were great. Brought back one oversized fish and grilled that one two.

Top Bottom