What's new

Post the brush(es) on its way to your den.

So I finally received the Tuxedo knot from APShaveCo Saturday but haven't had the time to put it in the Omega handle as yet. Hopefully by Friday it will happen. My first observation is the bristles look very plasticy as opposed to the knots I have from Whipped Dog and TGN. It feels fine against my face, but we'll see what its like after I get it set in the handle. I have read a lot of positive things about the knot itself and if its good enough for WW to use them then I'm sure it'll be a great knot to use. I'll post pics after its set in the handle.

Greetings friends and fellow shaving brush enthusiasts! Announcing the imminent arrival of two new acquisitions from RV Shaving. Rudy is shipping these out to me today.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Rudy was kind enough to take pics from all sides to show the variations of the moonjava. The other handle is lapis lazuli. This will be my fifth and sixth brushes from Rudy, and my third and fourth RV brushes to have the SOC Boar knot. It goes without saying that I have a serious penchant for the SOC Boar knot. It is undoubtedly my favorite shaving brush knot.

I am really enjoying this awesome thread, (thanks, Marty! @mdwolfie86). It is wonderful to see all of these fine examples of shaving brush art and artisanship.

Keep 'em coming, folks! :001_cool:

I actually had some time yesterday to set the APShaveCo 24mm Tuxedo knot in my Omega Beehive handle... I have to say I wasn't impressed with the knot as I pulled it out of the package as it just had a very plasticy look to it. I will say once I got it in the bathroom today I have a very different impression now. It took a little more to load than the Whipped Dog and TGN synthetics I recently acquired, but once I got it in the lathering bowl it just exploded and produced a very thick rich lather that I probably could've done 6+ passes with. Very impressive knot for sure. It has really soft tips like the WD and TGN, but the backbone is in between the two. I would have to say it has a really great feel to it. Definitely some more testing has to be done and I think the others will get jealous for a little while to say the least!!
20170213_154211 (640x360).jpg 20170213_154202-1 (640x568).jpg20170213_154412-1 (400x640).jpg

I received the TGN knot today for my Omega Midget. 20mm Synthetic / 50mm loft / 80mm overall height. I think it turned out pretty good for my 1st time.. Won't get to try it out until Saturday morning though... Anxiously awaiting...
proxy.php

proxy.php

Great job! let us know how you like the synthetic. I usually use Maggard's synthetic knots; where did you get yours.

Great job! let us know how you like the synthetic. I usually use Maggard's synthetic knots; where did you get yours.
I got that one from The Golden Nib. I've used it a couple times now and I like it better than the mixed boar / badger that was in it. The jury's still out though...

001.JPG
Thanks Marty! MDWolfied Strong-set
001.JPG
vintage weighted pink-ish handle with Tuxedo (24mm) knot restored by Marty. Amazing combo.
Use it every chance I get and it doesn't disappoint. One of a kind - I agree, kind sir.
001.JPG

Cast of characters:
Paladin Silk Road soap
1924 Shovelhead Everready SE
TOBS Eton College AS
(All amazing in their own 'categories')

Pics are dark recently - not by design. Thinking better flash or paying electric bill... B&B SBAD blues...

Best,
TT

Greetings friends and fellow shaving brush enthusiasts! Announcing the imminent arrival of two new acquisitions from RV Shaving. Rudy is shipping these out to me today.

Rudy was kind enough to take pics from all sides to show the variations of the moonjava. The other handle is lapis lazuli. This will be my fifth and sixth brushes from Rudy, and my third and fourth RV brushes to have the SOC Boar knot. It goes without saying that I have a serious penchant for the SOC Boar knot. It is undoubtedly my favorite shaving brush knot.

I am really enjoying this awesome thread, (thanks, Marty! @mdwolfie86). It is wonderful to see all of these fine examples of shaving brush art and artisanship.

Keep 'em coming, folks! :001_cool:
Hey bud! My oh my, what do we have here... I been away for about two days and came back to see some beautiful works of art. That moonjava looks scrumptious and the lapis lazuli is absolutely stunning. I too am a lover of Boar knots and I make sure to always have some on hand but none of mine are as fancy as yours congrats Phil! I love them and I'm sure you will love them even more. :a14:

View attachment 761415 Thanks Marty! MDWolfied Strong-setView attachment 761415 vintage weighted pink-ish handle with Tuxedo (24mm) knot restored by Marty. Amazing combo.
Use it every chance I get and it doesn't disappoint. One of a kind - I agree, kind sir. View attachment 761415

Cast of characters:
Paladin Silk Road soap
1924 Shovelhead Everready SE
TOBS Eton College AS
(All amazing in their own 'categories')

Pics are dark recently - not by design. Thinking better flash or paying electric bill... B&B SBAD blues...

Best,
TT
I'm so glad you're enjoying it and your welcome my good sir, also thank you Tommy for appreciating it. I will also add that your setup looks to be a wonderful shave!

I actually had some time yesterday to set the APShaveCo 24mm Tuxedo knot in my Omega Beehive handle... I have to say I wasn't impressed with the knot as I pulled it out of the package as it just had a very plasticy look to it. I will say once I got it in the bathroom today I have a very different impression now. It took a little more to load than the Whipped Dog and TGN synthetics I recently acquired, but once I got it in the lathering bowl it just exploded and produced a very thick rich lather that I probably could've done 6+ passes with. Very impressive knot for sure. It has really soft tips like the WD and TGN, but the backbone is in between the two. I would have to say it has a really great feel to it. Definitely some more testing has to be done and I think the others will get jealous for a little while to say the least!!
View attachment 761550 View attachment 761552View attachment 761554
You will really love the knot it's just "different" at first but it's a lathering beast! Also that combo of handle and knot looks damn sexy! Great job friend.

Will try not to include 3 full size images per post next time... Yes the Tuxedo knot is 'priceless' - someone earlier said I believe, "If it's good enough for WolfWhiskers, it's good enough for me..". And say that reminds me, @sandstone - how are you or Rudy getting/harvesting those SOC boar knots to put in his awesome handles?

Just pulled the trigger on a Tuxedo knot and a Cashmere knot for my first two transplants.
Thank god I didn't have 2 empty handles when I ordered my Tuxedo or I would've had a Cashmere on the way as well... Can't wait to see what you put them in.

Just an observation here, but I've been meaning to send an email to Al to find out if they changed the tips on the Tuxedo. Mine seem to have more of a greyish tint to them and not brite white like the pics on his site shows...

Will try not to include 3 full size images per post next time... Yes the Tuxedo knot is 'priceless' - someone earlier said I believe, "If it's good enough for WolfWhiskers, it's good enough for me..". And say that reminds me, @sandstone - how are you or Rudy getting/harvesting those SOC boar knots to put in his awesome handles?

In order to obtain the SOC Boar knot you need to purchase the complete SOC Boar brush and Rudy removes the knot from the original Semogue wooden handle. The handle on the donor brush does have to be sacrificed to do this. Since the Semogue knots are set in a metal cup, the whole assembly, cup included, is transplanted into the custom handle. This means that the custom brush will have the distinctive Semogue ring. Not everyone cares for this detail; I happen to like it. :001_smile

Rudy can either order the donor brush for you, and include the cost in the final price of the custom brush, or as I did in this case, you can purchase the donor brush yourself and have it shipped directly to Rudy.

Hey bud! My oh my, what do we have here... I been away for about two days and came back to see some beautiful works of art. That moonjava looks scrumptious and the lapis lazuli is absolutely stunning. I too am a lover of Boar knots and I make sure to always have some on hand but none of mine are as fancy as yours congrats Phil! I love them and I'm sure you will love them even more. :a14:

Thanks, Marty! I am really looking forward to adding these two gems to my den. :biggrin1:

30MM Tuxedo Knot from APShave Co. +
Series 82 (Barber) handle in Zebra from Shavemac.

Figured for my first attempt at building my own brush, why not go for it. Now once the parts get here.....

marty

In order to obtain the SOC Boar knot you need to purchase the complete SOC Boar brush and Rudy removes the knot from the original Semogue wooden handle. The handle on the donor brush does have to be sacrificed to do this. Since the Semogue knots are set in a metal cup, the whole assembly, cup included, is transplanted into the custom handle. This means that the custom brush will have the distinctive Semogue ring. Not everyone cares for this detail; I happen to like it. :001_smile

Rudy can either order the donor brush for you, and include the cost in the final price of the custom brush, or as I did in this case, you can purchase the donor brush yourself and have it shipped directly to Rudy.

Got it. Cool idea. Thanks. Back to brush-o-rama...

Top Bottom