What's new

Plain Chocolate vs. Rich Man

I am thinking about upgrading my strop. I currently have one that was PIF'd to me here on B&B. I don't think it has a brand name; but it has served me (in my estimation) well, I just think it's getting close to time to move on. The two strops I have been considering are the Rich Man from Whipped Dog and the Plain Chocolate from Tony Miller. They are roughly in the same price range, and I read people like both. I'm just wondering if there is a "better" one of the two, or perhaps another option I haven't even considered. Any help y'all can provide will be greatly appreciated.

In fact, this is my strop. (Yes, the pink canvas one.)
leather flip case iphone Picture - More Detailed Picture about Canvas Sharpening Strop Men's Shaving Leather Strop Razor Strop for Barber Straight Cut Sharpening Strop Belt Color Randomly Picture in Razor from Unique Fashion Shop | Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

No first hand expereince with Whipped Dog. I have had in the past (and currently own) two or three Tony Miller strops. They are simply wonderful. Another good choice would be a Herold Strop from The Superior Shave. I have used a Herold Russian oil tanned Herold for years...I really like it

I went with the plain chocolate. I like the fact that he takes so much pride in his work. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles but I seriously doubt I will ever need another.

So out of the TM strops you own and the 181, which strop do you enjoy using the most? Out of all your strops which is your favorite and why?

(Just for fun I measured my strop. It is 2 1/4 inches wide with 12 1/2 inches of useable material.)

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
As long as the leather is good all strops accomplish the same thing. After that pride of ownership is the next variable. I love the look of TM strops and own 5 of them, and one Kanayama. I like them all. Choose one that looks the nicest to you and would "make you feel good" using, if that makes any sense:001_smile

So out of the TM strops you own and the 181, which strop do you enjoy using the most? Out of all your strops which is your favorite and why?

(Just for fun I measured my strop. It is 2 1/4 inches wide with 12 1/2 inches of useable material.)
I just own one TM strop now...a 3" Notovan. I prefer the TM when stropping my "hollower" ground razors (Boker Silver Steel, Ralf Austs, and Brian Brown blades) and the Herold 181WJ on quarter grinds like Hart Steel, Jerry Stark and similar.

I just own one TM strop now...a 3" Notovan. I prefer the TM when stropping my "hollower" ground razors (Boker Silver Steel, Ralf Austs, and Brian Brown blades) and the Herold 181WJ on quarter grinds like Hart Steel, Jerry Stark and similar.

I've no clue what type of grind my razor has. It's a vintage one I picked up at a pawn shop.

As stated, all strops do the same thing the only real difference is how the leather is processed which effects the draw and then come as stated pride of ownership the whatever the Artisan embellishes upon the leather, TM makes a fine strop with attention to detail, Kanayama on the other hand is very, very plain with no frills but the way the leather is processed gives it a different feel, Scruppleworks are fine works of art to but as I said it all comes down to looks and draw as some like a glassy strop and some want what I call a magnetic strop, I personally prefer a medium light draw, my TM Fast Bridle is very glassy and has the feel thats it's doing nothing to the leather but it keeps my edges going as well as the rest of the strops i own, out of all the strops I own my TM Spanish Bridle and Kanayama are my go to strops.

I went with the Plain Chocolate. It's outstanding, granted it's my first strop. The linen side is great and feels sturdy and the leather has a nice light draw. If you chose the PC you won't be disappointed.

Tony Miller's are hard to beat. I've got a couple, one is the plain vanilla. it performs as well as any higher priced strops I've used.

I started on a WD poor man's strop, but having never seen one can't compare the Rich man's.... I love what Larry does for the community, but I could be content with nothing but my Tony Millers.

After a few years and more than a few strops I received my first Tony Miller today, purchased from a member that is giving up straights.
It's a virtually new plain chocolate with flax linen second, what a well made and great performing strop. Nice medium fast draw with just enough width & length @ 2.5" X 15" of usable leather.
The linen is not quite as supple as the linen on my Neil Miller or strops from Torlof but does a fine job none the less.
I would have to say at this price point I have seen no better strop to date.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
C FrankC. What color is the "linen" on the Plain Chocolate? Most are made with white cotton but I did do a run last year with genuine flax linen in a 2 1/2" width. The flax linen is tan

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Tony thanks for chiming in. It's tan flax linen for sure, must be from the run you mentioned.
I have many other linen strops including 6 feet of raw material sent to me by our late friend Neil Miller and several from Torolf in the Netherlands.
I want thank you for producing such a great set of strops at such affordable prices, your attention to detail and quality of materials and workmanship is outstanding and MANY of us here in the straight razor community are very grateful for your efforts.
Please keep up the great work and G/B.

Best regards
Frank

Top Bottom