What's new

PIF vs passaround ?

Just got home from work to find the box had been delivered. I'm sitting down at my desk right now looking thru all this stuff... holy crap, there's so much in here. This is gonna be one heck of a field day...

I was originally going to attempt to list out everything that's in this box, but there's a good bit I can't identify.

I'm definitely excited to try out the proraso white soap, the schick injector, the Gillette "New," and the flair tip, off the top of my head(from what I can identify)

Also, I'm gonna throw in a tube of cremo original, a buncha Astra SP blades(at least 20 or 30 of them), my boar brush, and my Weishi 9306. Depending on how I like the Gillette New, I might end up snagging it... or possibly the flair tip. Not sure yet. This is so much stuff to try out... You guys are friggin' awesome!

$pifboxblades.jpg$pifboxcreams.jpg$pifboxrazors.jpg$pifboxsoaps.jpg

Here's MOST OF what's in the box. There was also a big gallon sized ziploc bag filled with an assortment of half-pucks, wedges, etc. of soap samples... probably at least another 20 different soaps, maybe even more.

My desk is really messy, but they say that's a sign of genius, right? :tongue_sm

Just had my first shave with the flair tip, a badger brush, and Proraso White.

The Proraso smells nice enough, seems like it makes really nice lather and everything, and while it was pretty weak on the menthol FEEL, it was still a bit too much for me. Apparently my skin is pretty sensitive, or I just don't really like the cooling. Definitely not gonna try Proraso Green or any other mentholated soap/cream in the future. After the first pass I cleaned out the brush and bowl and reached for my cremo and VDH soap. I definitely still wanna try Proraso Blue, and possibly the Red, though.

The flair tip impressed me quite a bit. I wasn't expecting a bad shave, but I was thinking it couldn't be much different compared to the Weishi or the Slim. I was wrong. Except for what felt like a few tiny nicks while shaving my neck(I saw no blood or anything, so I'm not even sure it did anything... I'm also not used to shaving every day or every other day, and I just shaved two days ago, so I did have a little bit of irritation, but nothing crazy.

I did a two pass shave with NO touch up whatsoever, and I got a really nice, really smooth, and surprisingly close shave. I've heard of the flair tip and black handle super speeds compared very closely to the Weishi before, and I disagree. The Flair tip is quite a bit more aggressive. No way could I ever get a shave this close with just two passes and no touch-up with the Weishi, and when looking at the two razors closely, you can see a significantly larger blade gap on the flair tip. That, and the head is the most rounded, highest peaking I've used so far. Not sure what the significance of the head shape is, but it's a noticeable difference.

And finally, we now get to the badger brush. This is the first time I've had my hands on a badger, and to be honest, I'm really not impressed at all. No offense to anybody, but I honestly think the badger kinda sucks. Or maybe it's just this particular brush I used(the black handled one, not the wooden one). I'm not sure, but it has no backbone compared to what I'm used to. It's almost TOO soft. It made a decent enough lather for me, but when I went to put it on my face, it seemed like a vast majority of it was staying in the brush and not transferring to my face; almost like it retains water and soap TOO well. I think I'm just gonna stick to my omega S as far as brushes are concerned, or maybe try one of their boar brushes eventually. I'm so glad I went the cheapskate route and got a $9 synthetic instead of spending $30 or more on a badger. But hey, at least now I know, and I didn't have to spend the money to find out, so this is a win!

If it's alright with you guys(and I don't know why it wouldn't be), I plan on leaving comments in this thread about the different things I try as I try them.

I just shaved again today, this time I tried the other badger brush, the perfecto, thinking it might be a little better with a little bit more backbone than the other one... Nope, extra backbone was completely un-noticeable once the bristles became wet. Maybe I'm just weird, but I'm not a fan of badger at all. Sure, it lathers a lot easier, but I feel like all the lather just stays in the bristles and doesn't get on my face as well as it would with a boar or synthetic brush.

I also tried out the Gillette "New." I think that's what it's called. The brass/gold open comb 3 piece razor. Anyway, it was a nice enough shave, but I felt like an idiot using it because without that familiar safety bar, I couldn't seem to find the right angle as easily as I usually do, but it does seem like it's smoother than any of the TTO razors I've used.

$20161128_182037.jpg

I got it,good job packing it! Any clue what razors are in here? I see the weishi and the ball end old, but the others? I will be asking what some of this is as its not labeled.
Thanks for the opportunity!

It looks like you guys are looking for more sign-ups! I'm willing to sign up. Have any of you put the link to this pass-around in your signature tags? I'm sure lots of guys would click into it from there if they saw it.

There is a lot of stuff in the box. There are three razors I need help to identify, and I will post pics. There is also a large flat tin about 3" in diameter with out a description. I am terrible at posting pics, and typing from my phone so bare with me.

Tonight I split my face with the arco stick on the left, and the proraso green on the right. I have never tried either of them. The arco stick(small slice, relax) went on the wet face well, not much fan fare. The proraso green I couldnt figure out whether to lather it up in a bowl or just make it up on the face. I made it up on the face. ECH, I do not like the green smell, and I sure do not like the burn so far. I put an Astra SP in the gold plated weishi, and went to work.
This was my first trip with a TTO Weishi, and it was okay. I dont think my lather was up to what I have been making but it was okay. I made the first pass ATG, and had short stubble left over. I lathered back up with what was on the brush's, one for each. Wow, this arco stick soap is making a hell of a lot of lather, and the Green is pretty much done unless I add some more cream. So, now I have stick soap on both sides, I gave up on the green. I moved the astra blade over to my single ring, and finished up with a single pass,and no buffing. I do not think either of them are as slick as my Sterling/KY mix, so I did not want to risk a lot of burn. I am going to have to make an arco mix up and see just how slick that sucker can get. Tonight the arco wins, and weishi is a push. I like my gillette SS bettor. I know I am terrible at typing reviews, if only there was an audio review option.

If anyone can identify the razors I will tag them with a label.

Thanks for the opportunity!

luckily there are no blades for this sucker, or I might have been tempted to try it. Be fore warned though some one left a single edge in it and I dont know how to get it out.

Top Bottom