What's new

Pic of the week!

Zooming the lens during long exposure. I started zoomed in and backed it out, holding it at wide to allow the whole tree to expose properly as well.

$DSC_5431.jpg
Lightener Museum,
St.Augustine, Florida

Not as artistic as most here, but I kinda liked the look of my Boy Scouts starting a hike in the snow on the Appalichian Tail in the Mt. Rogers NRA in SW Virginia before Thanksgiving.

$IMG_0379.jpg

Made many a trip across I40 lookin at the Sandias through the windshield of a '77 KW with a wagon full of live cattle behind it and later a Pete with a straight bore tank (no baffles) hauling food grade syrup. The stuff I hauled never filled that tank before it hit the weight limit. It sloshed around a lot. Made things interesting at times with 40K lbs of stuff slamming around in that trailer.

Got some good memories of Abee-Q-Q.

I can imagine.
I40 through the Tijeras is not for the faint of heart. Next time I pour real maple syrup on my pancakes, I think of you.

Have to wonder what mountains this old thing climbed back in its day. The old Detroit Diesel is still under the hood.
proxy.php

I think there's a passage in Revelations that pertains to Detroit Diesels with words to the effect of smoke belching beasts that don't go anywhere. :lol: FYI, early Detroits were 2 cycle engines. They leaked oil worse than an old Harley. They'd run backwards just as good as they'd run forwards. If you lugged it down starting off and caught it with the clutch at the last second, it was more apt than not to start running backwards. Smoked up the air cleaner and made it interesting to shift as all your forwards were then reverses. Only thing you could do was kill it, and restart it.

THAT was truck driving. I drove similar stuff back in the late 60's hauling wheat from the fields to the elevator in N TX. That was where I learned how to run a truck with two transmissions and two shift levers. With those old Detroits, if you took time to wave at somebody, you were lugging it. LOL

Trucks have come a LONG way since I started messing with the damn things.

Bax is a handsome lad.

That's a very cool old GMC. What year is it? Love the tiny sleeper. Thanks for the photo.

Near as I can tell, that is early 50's. All those things looked pretty much teh same from '48 to around '54. That one is a 740 Diesel. It started life with a Detroit 4-71 engine. I ran an old Austin-Western maintainer made in '52 that had one of those screaming 4-71 Detroit engines with no muffler. They had a roots type supercharger on 'em to give 'em enough power to sort of stay out of the way of their own smoke.

Detroits were advertised as great hill climbers. Only problem was that nobody ever found a great hill for 'em to show their stuff. Any hill would put 'em on their knees. Drove some 238HP 6-71's and 318HP 8V-71's back in the day. Hated pretty much every second of it. The 450HP V12, 12V-71's would pass about anything on the road back in the 60's and early 70's except a fuel stop. THAT was truck drivin'. I don't miss it. ;)

If you're interested in antique diesel info, here's a link to 'em.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Diesel_Series_71

Top Bottom