What's new

Pens that you don't use that often.

Legion

Staff member
I recently put my Nakaya up on blocks, because my three year old is big enough to grab things off my desk to play with.

I don’t want anything to happen to that pen, and then trying to explain where the kid has gone….

Lamy Dialog 3 for me. I quite enjoy the pen but the heaviness and ergonomics make it a no-go for me to use for long writing sessions and if you don’t use it almost daily it seems to dry out. So I will go through seasons where I use it a lot but it does ride the pine a fair amount when it dries out.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I had several old fountain pens my grandfather gave me when I was elementary school... I remember a Parker and a Schaffer... not much else about them. They got lost in one of my parents' moves.. discarded, no doubt.

The only pens I used for any length of time that remotely compare are drafting pens like Mars, Staedtler, Pentel, Faber-Castell... I had them all over the years. I used to take notes on fine India paper and they worked the best for me. All the ultra fine ones...

They were always kind of fragile... that thin wire inside would get bent somehow. Or someone would pick one of them up and use them... that was usually it. Sort of rude... but I was around people back then who believed we owned all things in common. <eg>

While I have a number that I don't use regularly, the one that pains me the most is the Chris Thompson Red Giant replica. I can't get it to feed properly. I don't think the feed channel is deep enough and I haven't fiddled with it. I do have a second original Parker Black Giant that doesn't have a nib, so I tried using the Thompson Lucky Curve 12 nib in it, but it wasn't quite the right size. I really love using these huge pens when I can.

Second photo is for size comparison on where the Parker Black Giant fits in relative to the other Parker Jack Knife Safeties from the teens of the last century.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Or someone would pick one of them up and use them... that was usually it. Sort of rude... but I was around people back then who believed we owned all things in common.

Perpetual risk faced by the fountain pen user!

Top Bottom