What's new

Pens that you don't use that often.

I recently inked the vintage Conklin Crescent Filler on the right in this picture. From what I know of these, it would have been made no earlier than 1916, since it has a screw cap, and probably no later than the early 1920s. It writes very nicely, with a clean fine line. The #2 gold nib is a bit rigid, but smooth.

It would have been possible to take a picture of just this pen, and stick it in the "what's in your pocket today" thread, although without a clip, this one wouldn't be carried in a pocket. But I decided on this group photo of pens (none of them currently inked other than the Conklin) which have at least two things in common with it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/77103607@N00/

No, they aren't all vintage, although the Platinum 3776 on the left is the only exception. L-R: Platinum 3776 Century, Paramount, Wearever pen/pencil combo, Sheaffer Flat Top, Eversharp Skyline, Waterman's 12-PSF, Moore L-72, Esterbrook Dollar Pen, and the Conklin.

What they have in common is that I think they are all very nice pens to write with, and I doubt that I've had any of them inked in over a year. The Conklin may well have gone two or three years. When I've just emptied a pen, and think of what pen I might want to cycle in to replace it, these come in to consideration, but then I think "maybe next time".

And there are other pens in that category; I just wanted to keep the picture manageable. I do not have the attitude of some people that if something is not being used, it has to be sold or given away. I've actually been clearing out some larger clutter, but my pen collection, although sizable, doesn't take up that much room. And there are also some pens which, having tried them once, I'm happy just to keep as interesting collector's items.

But I wonder what pens other people have that are always on the bench. Or almost always.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
That’s a very nice collection of benchwarmers you have there. You can send any of those my way, if you change your mind about thinning the herd. :001_tongu I use my Platinum 3777 and Esterbrooks daily, although I don’t have a large pen collection.

While sometimes I do literally have a pen in my pocket, sometimes I just post the pen I’ve used the most on a given day. Maybe I’m doing it wrong.

...While sometimes I do literally have a pen in my pocket, sometimes I just post the pen I’ve used the most on a given day. Maybe I’m doing it wrong.

Maybe we both are. I've posted a picture of a desk pen in that thread at least once. :001_cool:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Posted above in the wrong thread, oops! Maybe a kindly mod will move it.

Anyway, I've got many pens I sometimes wonder about owning since I rarely ever use them.
The pens I use daily need to be robust and reliable writers, as well as easily replaceable. So a lot of my early Sheaffers and Parkers don't see much action as they seem more fragile and have been in my collection a good while, not to be lost.

But then there are some I haven't inked in 10 years, say Lamy Safaris and strange modern pens that stay at home uninked as well. Guess I found which I like and stick with them, probably should start thinking about letting some go. But, as said, they don't take up much space and I may change my tastes again once I retire.

Good thread.

I actually find i am using my fountain pens less. I picked up a few of the Pilot G2 limited, which is a nice metal barrel retractable roller ball. It is basically like there common throwaway models you see everywhere, but much, much nicer, and refills are available. In a pinch you can open one of the throwaway models and use the refill in it. I picked up various colored barrels so i know what color i am using.

I actually find i am using my fountain pens less.

I suppose I respect your choices - as people like what they like - but I can't relate. I've been all in on FPs since I got my first in December 2014. In my profession, I'm often stuck filling out carbon copy forms, so am forced to use a rollerball or ballpoint, so I have a Space Pen for that purpose; otherwise, I'm basically always using a FP.

As to the topic at hand, I have a trove of cheap Chinese pens that are reasonably functional but that I just plain don't use. One, a Yiren 875, I've literally never inked up.

Looking at the more "reputable" brand pens I have, I think I'm pretty good at rotating them.

The rest of them since I picked up a Vanishing Point. The nib is great and it fits my writing style. I didn’t expect to like it as much as I do.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I have lots of pens that I don't use, but the biggest closet queen of the collection is a Waterman Opera FP in sterling silver. It will probably take me a week to polish up both it, and it's matching BP to any reasonable standard. Maybe I'll do that--later . . .

I have a few really nice ebonite pens made in India (Rangas) that are just too big to really take around on my daily tasks. They are spectacular for notes at home, but too much of a hassle for me to do anything else.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I have ten general use fountain pens, and three I don't use. Those three still have an important role though - to remind me not to repeat the mistake. If I am tempted by a pen which strays into their territory, I can use that pen again for a while, to remind my why I disliked it, and avoid buying giving a "second chance" to something I will regret buying.

Parker Vector - the step between barrel and grip section.
Parker Slimfold - threads in gripping area.
Lamy Safari clone - "ergonomic" non-cylindrical grip section.

All three remind me not to bother with plastic pens.

Sadly only two see much use: a Pilot Varsity, and a Parker 51. A Varsity sees more use than anything because I know me and I know I am apt to lose it. The Parker 51 stays in my Bible case in the pen holder loop and gets used regularly. The rest of my small collection come out if I know I will be writing several letters at a time or writing a lot of checks. I have a couple that have never been used because they are just uncomfortable to hold, but they have sentimental appeal.

Very late to the party. I have the following thoughts.

If it is broken, but you would use it if it was not, send it to Danny Fudge to get fixed.

If it is broken and you would sell it...ditto.

Most of my pens are sub 50.00 items. Not as nice as the Op's stuff for sure. Having said that, I have been or am selling any number of pens (i.e. entry level watermans, pilot metropolitans, esterbrook dollar pen, pilot petits etc.) as they no longer give me joy.

I find that maintaining a 10+ pen stable (mostly Lamy Al-Stars, Parker 45 Flighters and a couple of nice Conklins/Schaeffers) on my primary desk makes some sense as long as I make a conscious effort to use them all over the course of a day. I simply start left to right and go from there.

FWIW/YMMV

Pens that I don't use"............rather too many.

A handful of me 149s, new and boxed, gifts to me over the years.

Fathers Parker Vac, he stopped using it in 1951 when he bough his first 51.

A number of 30s Parkers. I am building the collection for a book.

Daily drivers are pens like 159 and anything that takes international cartridges, I seem to have collected hundreds.

I have to admit that I don't write as much as 10 years ago when I wrote for most of the day, I miss that believe it or not.

I keep 4 inked. two Esterbrook SJs with different nibs. they're my daily house writers. I love that body and weight. I love the nibs I've got in each. a TWSBI 430 mini as a working/out of the house/pocket pen, and a Kaweco sports classic as a beater pocket pen.

I've got a couple Sheaffer Imperials (II and a 440, both NOS buys) that were my office pens back when. my grandfather's P51. as iconic as it is, I don't like it in hand as much as others, and don't love the nib size. and god did it burp when I flew. I used it for a long time before trying some others that I just preferred more. but I'll keep it and maybe pass it down to one of the kids.

I may still have others, but most got given away

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I find that maintaining a 10+ pen stable (mostly Lamy Al-Stars, Parker 45 Flighters and a couple of nice Conklins/Schaeffers) on my primary desk makes some sense as long as I make a conscious effort to use them all over the course of a day. I simply start left to right and go from there.

My 10 fountain pens (the users) are split as follows:

2 for blues and purples
2 for other dark colours
2 for lighter colours
2 for Quink Black

I tend to only keep three pens inked though, and having two for each colour, lets me flush one and leave it to dry, while I ink another... either of the same colour group, or one of the alternatives.

The remaining two are a demonstrator I tend to use with any darker colour, and a mini/pocket pen that typically just gets blue cartridges fitted. Again, I still try to keep it to just three fountain pens inked, so if the mini pen is inked, I probably won't have either of the two full size blue/purple pens inked. At least one of the three has either blue, purple, or black ink.

I always keep a ballpoint handy too.

Use it or loose it for me. I only have three pens. I often think that’s two pens too many actually. Life was simpler when I only had one pen but I’m not the type to refuse a gift.

Last edited:
Top Bottom