What's new

Pearl SSH-02 OC

I've gotten interested in shaving with Indian blades lately since the announcement that Gillette was moving some of their existing production there. As part of that, I also decided maybe I should look at some Indian-manufactured razors. Hence, the purchase of the Pearl SHH-02 Open Comb. I took it for a test ride today.

The handle is nice. The weight seems balanced and I had no issues finding a comfortable grip and angle to shave with it. Build quality is adequate for a $15 razor, but it is obviously a budget razor when it comes to looks. I'm more of a results guy in most shaving things though.

I hate making bold statements after one shave, but today's shave was very nice. I paired it with an Indian blade I know and love, the SuperMax Blue Diamond Titanium, and was rewarded with a three-pass BBS. There was a touch of more blade feel than I get from most of my favorites, but it was by no means excessive or uncomfortable.

I will definitely give it some more use, but I am cautiously optimistic this could be a nice part of my rotation.

IMG_2653.JPG

I've got a Pearl OC base plate from a few years back. I usually pair it with a Muhle cap to make a mildly aggressive combo a bit gentler than a Fatip OC.

I've heard they have changed their design recently, but I'm not sure what exactly is different now.

I've got a Pearl OC base plate from a few years back. I usually pair it with a Muhle cap to make a mildly aggressive combo a bit gentler than a Fatip OC.

I've heard they have changed their design recently, but I'm not sure what exactly is different now.
They have made it milder as lack of men who could handle an actual open comb with an agg shave has come down

I've gotten interested in shaving with Indian blades lately since the announcement that Gillette was moving some of their existing production there. As part of that, I also decided maybe I should look at some Indian-manufactured razors. Hence, the purchase of the Pearl SHH-02 Open Comb. I took it for a test ride today.

The handle is nice. The weight seems balanced and I had no issues finding a comfortable grip and angle to shave with it. Build quality is adequate for a $15 razor, but it is obviously a budget razor when it comes to looks. I'm more of a results guy in most shaving things though.

I hate making bold statements after one shave, but today's shave was very nice. I paired it with an Indian blade I know and love, the SuperMax Blue Diamond Titanium, and was rewarded with a three-pass BBS. There was a touch of more blade feel than I get from most of my favorites, but it was by no means excessive or uncomfortable.

I will definitely give it some more use, but I am cautiously optimistic this could be a nice part of my rotation.

View attachment 1711031
LOL good thing you bought the new design OC head that was introduced a couple of years ago. With the old OC head you would have had much more blade feel than your favorites.
I much prefer the Pearl old design OC heads to this, but even the new one shaves closer than a Fatip MKII.

LOL good thing you bought the new design OC head that was introduced a couple of years ago. With the old OC head you would have had much more blade feel than your favorites.
I much prefer the Pearl old design OC heads to this, but even the new one shaves closer than a Fatip MKII.
I don't mind some blade feel if it relates to efficiency, and this current head seems to balance that well. For a $20 razor it's a nice shaver, and I'm glad it is in my rotation.

I know you have that combo of tougher whiskers but sensitive skin so I know you have a balancing act that you are always having to keep up with that I don't have to worry about as much since my whiskers aren't as hard to shave.

I don't mind some blade feel if it relates to efficiency, and this current head seems to balance that well. For a $20 razor it's a nice shaver, and I'm glad it is in my rotation.

By the aggressiveness standards of the last 5 -6 years the old open comb is very aggressive.

I know you have that combo of tougher whiskers but sensitive skin so I know you have a balancing act that you are always having to keep up with that I don't have to worry about as much since my whiskers aren't as hard to shave.
The story of my life. Why do you think I have 350 DE razors? :c1:

Top Bottom