What's new

Opinions please, Balsa or leather

Legion

Staff member
I'm going to make a bench strop to use with CrOx. Hardwood with a pasted surface glued to it.

IYO what would be the preferred surface to paste and why, balsa or leather?

Thanks chaps.

IMO, it is really a matter of feel or taste. I have used balsa and leather pasted on to wood and I came out with leather as a better surface, but I am old-fashioned and have done quite a bit of leather work. So, I likely started with a bias towards the more familiar material. I am sure others will weigh in.

If you need a bit of leather to try, just PM me with the size you need and your address and I will send you a piece of vegetable tanned. I have a workshop with lots of small pieces about, especially since I have been experimenting with different leathers for strops. Ah, that reminds me I wanted to condition some tonight before bed... best be off:001_smile

I think it is very interesting that he should ask this question.... I just finished making a CroOx pasted balsa strop that works great but like the OP, I was wondering about how leather did when it was pasted to a wood backing and pasted with CroOx.

I was just thinking about making my own thread on this very same topic. But since the OP beat me to it I will just benefit from his thread. :thumbup:

Last edited:
I have a web page about this very same question. Go here to read it, it might give you something to think about while you are deciding. I am not sure there is a correct answer either.

Ray

Legion

Staff member
I have a web page about this very same question. Go here to read it, it might give you something to think about while you are deciding. I am not sure there is a correct answer either.

Ray

Thanks for the link Ray. That argument for balsa makes sense. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom