What's new

Open Comb Pain

Ok, I shaved with this open comb:
proxy.php

and I got nicked big time. If I had a skin imperfection, it's gone now (including scalp). I was using Derby blades and HoneyBee soap.

What did I do wrong or am I just going to have to get my skin used to it?

That looks like a NEW and is not that aggressive. I would guess you were pressing too hard and need to work on the blade angle...don't give up.

Open combs are definitely a different animal than closed combs. I've also found Derbys to be really rough (RP Personnas are perfect though) even though plenty here love them. I still have to go slow and pay lots of attention to technique with an open comb NEW.

I recently got a NEW and a Tech. Both seem like they are not cutting and almost dare you to press harder. That works with the Tech (up to a point) but the NEW will bite back. Both are very mild when used with no pressure. You may feel they are not working. But after 3 or 4 passes it is DFS\BBS. Give it a couple weeks with no pressure and report back....

Bob G.

Today:
Ball End Tech
RP Personna
Godrej cream
DFS....

The new works well for me....Make sure your blade is centered...there is a little manual adjustment required when loading these...maybe you had too much blade exposer on one side??

cc

Mr. Coppola the new you sent me is my number one razor. I am in the process of selling off all other DE's that I own. Thank you and happy holidays.

Mr. Coppola the new you sent me is my number one razor. I am in the process of selling off all other DE's that I own. Thank you and happy holidays.

Please call me Chris! :) glad you are enjoying it! The New is a great shaver for sure!!:thumbup1:

cc

Ok, I shaved with this open comb:
and I got nicked big time. If I had a skin imperfection, it's gone now (including scalp). I was using Derby blades and HoneyBee soap.

What did I do wrong or am I just going to have to get my skin used to it?

If you are new to DE shaving all you need is improvement in your technique. That's very little pressure, correct angle and short strokes. The New is not an aggressive razor. Eventually you will be able to shave with any Gillette open comb with no problem and no blood or irritation. I don't know anything about Derby blades, never used one. I like the red pack Personna for every razor I use, and that's a lot of different razors, all Gillette. But you may want to wait awhile for your skin to heal before you try it again.

Len

Lose the Derbies and it sounds like your technique needs a little tightening up...that is a mild razor but the blade angle will take a little getting used to.

I tend to only use the open comb razors when I have a few days of beard growth. This seems to work better for me.

I have a new, found it to be more aggressive than the old style, but not unusable. Then I bought a Bull Mastiff with both an old style and new style head........Holy Crap!!!!! I realize that the extra weight makes it more aggressive, but I swear when looking at the blade gap as compared to my "old" new there is more gap to cooncats head making me think maybe there are slight variations in the news from different years?? Haven't tried the old style yet. Absolutely love the razor!! I shave the head too, so hang in there, go slooowww. I find my blood pours when I hurry and/or lose concentration. Last shave was fantastic and yours can be with the new too! Don't give up yet!!

Top Bottom