What's new

Ok, gurus of the bean, rec some coffee

Our drip coffee maker died.

RIP.

We have a Keurig that I use most of the time. My usual cup is either Dunkin Donuts or Tim Horton's, the regular house blend, which I also used in the drip maker.

I don't care for Starbuck's or Seattle's Best type blends. Not sure what the proper description is among coffee junkies, but I don't care for the strong, almost bitter taste that those brands share. When faced with NO other option I order a Blonde from Starbucks.

So, let's say my taste in coffee is parallel to my taste in razors:

I prefer mild (or at least milder than the typical offering from Starbucks and Seattle's Best).

Anyway, I bought one of these to use on occasion, and tried it with some pre-ground Dunkin coffee that had been hiding in the back of the fridge for months, and it was pretty terrible.

20230610_092719.jpg

I'm sure that a huge part of the problem was using old coffee.

My next move was to purchase a Timemore C3 Pro burr grinder, along with a true conical pour over basket and paper filters, which I plan to drip directly into my Yeti mug. The grinder and basket are arriving today...

...but I have no beans.

I'll be honest, I have zero desire to roast my own, and my local sources for beans are limited to Meijer and Walmart. We also have a Tim Hortons and Dunkin Donuts nearby and I'm pretty sure I can get roasted whole-bean coffee from either. We have no boutique roasters in the vicinity.

So, today I plan to buy beans, and use my new coffee extraction toys. I've perused the coffee aisle at Wally World before and they seem to have a selection of beans from a few mainstream companies and maybe even s few smaller roasters, like Black Rifle.

Anyway, my plan is to buy a few small bags of beans to experiment with, but it's going to be a bit of a gamble until I find a bean that suits my taste, so any recommendations are welcome.

My only real question at this point is how to store my smallish cache of beans to keep them at their peak for as long as possible.

I know I can do a search, but that's not nearly as fun as having a discussion here. 🙂

Last edited:
I use simple bag clips for my 1kg bag and the grinder holds approximately half a pound of beans. Caveat I go through only one bag at a time. When buying I look for bags that have a degassing valve incorporated which should keep the beans at optimum.

FBF69C26-ADB5-47FF-8587-95AF399DE388.jpeg

I use simple bag clips for my 1kg bag and the grinder holds approximately half a pound of beans. Caveat I go through only one bag at a time. When buying I look for bags that have a degassing valve incorporated which should keep the beans at optimum.

View attachment 1668653

Thanks. 🙂

Better in the fridge?...or cupboard?

And what is the expected useable life?

I guess the answer to the last question depends on the person, and their tolerance for "old" beans, but realistically how long before the taste changes noticeably into something undesireable?

Thanks. 🙂

Better in the fridge?...or cupboard?

And what is the expected useable life?

I guess the answer to the last question depends on the person, and their tolerance for "old" beans, but realistically how long before the taste changes noticeably into something undesireable?
I wouldn’t put them into the fridge nor into direct sunlight so cupboard would be best.

1kg lasts 6-8 weeks for me and I don’t detect any changes in taste. I might change the grinder 1-2 settings with older beans but this could be more something wonky in my head than having a real benefit…

I wouldn’t put them into the fridge nor into direct sunlight so cupboard would be best.

1kg lasts 6-8 weeks for me and I don’t detect any changes in taste. I might change the grinder 1-2 settings with older beans but this could be more something wonky in my head than having a real benefit…

I would expect that much like anything else, including shaving, there is a "degree of devotion" to the pursuit, and therefore wildly differing opinions regarding "usable" life.

As a casual coffee drinker, I suspect that my tolerance for less-than-perfect is much wider than the connoisseur. My range is basically: "mmmm... that's good", to "it's drinkable", to "that's terrible".

Like wine, I don't have the palate or experience to appreciate nuances in flavor. If you put two glasses of wine in front of me I wouldn't be able to tell a $10 wine from a $500 wine.

I would expect that much like anything else, including shaving, there is a "degree of devotion" to the pursuit, and therefore wildly differing opinions regarding "usable" life.

As a casual coffee drinker, I suspect that my tolerance for less-than-perfect is much wider than the connoisseur.

Like wine, I don't have the palate or experience to appreciate nuances in flavor. If you put two glasses of wine in front of me I wouldn't be able to tell a $10 wine from a $500 wine.
I looked up the Tim Hortons House Blend, it says medium roast 100% Arabica so that’s a start. Avoid anything with Robusta (I love it) and dark roasts. Being a 100% Arabica also means usually higher acidity levels compared to Arabica/Robusta blends but this seems ok for your taste buds.

My personal favorite right now is Craft Coffee's Streetlight blend. They call it a dark roast, but I don't find it dark at all. I find it to be more medium-dark. However, if you go to their website, you can enter your favorite blend and they'll show you a similar blend of theirs. I just did that for your 2 favorites. So for Tim Horton's they recommend their Daydream blend, and for Dunkin Donuts they recommend their A Day in the Life blend. What I like about Craft is 2 things. 1) They're very economical for a specialty roaster. 2) I have a bulk subscription where I purchase 4 bags at a time and that lasts me generally about 5 weeks. So with that subscription again they are very economical, and you can make changes to your subscription anytime that you want. I highly recommend Craft Coffee, but (as with shaving) YMMV.

I’m on the opposite end of the spectrum of Multum in Parvo. I’ll easily go through 2 pounds of beans in a couple of weeks. 65g - 70g per batch 5days a week.

My espresso beans, I pour out 1lb at a time, probably should just 1/2lb but I always end up short. The 1lb can last for several weekends 3-4 maybe. And I think I can notice a degrading flavor, especially if it starts out really in your face good or bold. I think there was once where I threw out some beans where I felt after a few shots their flavor was just wasn’t there anymore.

I store my daily use beans in fellow atmos containers and my espresso beans in an air scape container. Mainly for looks since I don’t want the bags on my counters.

I buy in “bulk” since I go through so much and sometimes for free shipping. It’s not unusual for me to order 2 -3 bags at 2lbs per. I vacuum seal when they arrive, punch a hole in the bag to help vacuum more air out and toss in the freezer. I’ve used some 3-4 months past roast and have noticed nothing bad happening from freezer.

Check out offerings from:
klatch coffee
Black and white roasters
Sey
George Howell coffee

Our drip coffee maker died.

RIP.

We have a Keurig that I use most of the time. My usual cup is either Dunkin Donuts or Tim Horton's, the regular house blend, which I also used in the drip maker.

I don't care for Starbuck's or Seattle's Best type blends. Not sure what the proper description is among coffee junkies, but I don't care for the strong, almost bitter taste that those brands share. When faced with NO other option I order a Blonde from Starbucks.

So, let's say my taste in coffee is parallel to my taste in razors:

I prefer mild (or at least milder than the typical offering from Starbucks and Seattle's Best).

Anyway, I bought one of these to use on occasion, and tried it with some pre-ground Dunkin coffee that had been hiding in the back of the fridge for months, and it was pretty terrible.

View attachment 1668638

I'm sure that a huge part of the problem was using old coffee.

My next move was to purchase a Timemore C3 Pro burr grinder, along with a true conical pour over basket and paper filters, which I plan to drip directly into my Yeti mug. The grinder and basket are arriving today...

...but I have no beans.

I'll be honest, I have zero desire to roast my own, and my local sources for beans are limited to Meijer and Walmart. We also have a Tim Hortons and Dunkin Donuts nearby and I'm pretty sure I can get roasted whole-bean coffee from either. We have no boutique roasters in the vicinity.

So, today I plan to buy beans, and use my new coffee extraction toys. I've perused the coffee aisle at Wally World before and they seem to have a selection of beans from a few mainstream companies and maybe even s few smaller roasters, like Black Rifle.

Anyway, my plan is to buy a few small bags of beans to experiment with, but it's going to be a bit of a gamble until I find a bean that suits my taste, so any recommendations are welcome.

My only real question at this point is how to store my smallish cache of beans to keep them at their peak for as long as possible.

I know I can do a search, but that's not nearly as fun as having a discussion here. 🙂
If you don't have a small local coffee roaster near you, buy a small bag of whole beans at your local supermarket. Once you open the beans, store them in an airtight glass jar. Grind the beans fresh every day for you daily coffee. The coffee will be much better than coffee that comes already ground and far better than Keurig. Keurig has its place, but it's very ordinary coffee at an expensive price. Sort of the instant coffee of the 21st Century. Good coffee is an inexpensive luxury product.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
We used to use The Fresh Market Jamaican Blue Mountain blend.... but something changed and it started tasting bitter. We tried a few other coffee beans and ended up with Don Pablo Signature blend... it's a medium/dark blend... for me, it works best @ 190F in a French Press but could be ground for any method... it's not acidic.. not bitter.. smooth...

We have a subscription from the Don Pablo site but you can buy some on Amazon as well.... From your posts, it sounds like you might enjoy it.... there are so many suggestions and so many people who know far more than I do...

It sounds like you're on the right track identifying what you dislike about Starbucks and Seattle's Best. I would say keep avoiding dark roasts, because that's probably what gives those beans the qualities you dislike.

If you can find anything with a "roasted on" date, there's a good chance it will taste better than everything that does not have one.

My personal favorite right now is Craft Coffee's Streetlight blend. They call it a dark roast, but I don't find it dark at all. I find it to be more medium-dark. However, if you go to their website, you can enter your favorite blend and they'll show you a similar blend of theirs. I just did that for your 2 favorites. So for Tim Horton's they recommend their Daydream blend, and for Dunkin Donuts they recommend their A Day in the Life blend. What I like about Craft is 2 things. 1) They're very economical for a specialty roaster. 2) I have a bulk subscription where I purchase 4 bags at a time and that lasts me generally about 5 weeks. So with that subscription again they are very economical, and you can make changes to your subscription anytime that you want. I highly recommend Craft Coffee, but (as with shaving) YMMV.

Very helpful, thank you. 🙂

Obviously I like that you can compare based on brand without actually knowing which beans or roast are in your current favorites. In my case it's like Coffee Beans for Dummies.

I also meant to say that if you only make 1 cup at a time, I HIGHLY recommend the Aeropress. In my house, I'm the only coffee drinker so I can make one cup at a time, and the Aeropress is so easy, but also so customizable, and yet makes a brilliant cup of coffee.

I got hooked on illy coffee while vacationing in Italy. Only then did I realize how awful Starbucks and the like were. Because illy is quite expensive, I have transitioned to LaVazza for everyday use which is very economical and comes in all kinds of varieties with strength ratings on a scale of 10. For LaVazza, I like the 5/10 and up bean varietals and when I treat myself with illy, I like the medium roast (red can) which is soooo smooth. The illy comes in a nice can which I use to store my LaVazza beans in once opened.

IMG_6392.jpg

I got hooked on illy coffee while vacationing in Italy. Only then did I realize how awful Starbucks and the like were. Because it is quite expensive, I have transitioned to LaVazza for everyday use which is very economical and comes in all kinds of varieties with strength ratings on a scale of 10. For LaVazza, I like the 5/10 and up bean varietals and when I treat myself with illy, I like the medium roast (red can) which is soooo smooth.

View attachment 1668802
I could never get along with Lavazza, but a lot of people really like it. Just another example of YMMV.

I’m on the opposite end of the spectrum of Multum in Parvo. I’ll easily go through 2 pounds of beans in a couple of weeks. 65g - 70g per batch 5days a week.

My espresso beans, I pour out 1lb at a time, probably should just 1/2lb but I always end up short. The 1lb can last for several weekends 3-4 maybe. And I think I can notice a degrading flavor, especially if it starts out really in your face good or bold. I think there was once where I threw out some beans where I felt after a few shots their flavor was just wasn’t there anymore.

I store my daily use beans in fellow atmos containers and my espresso beans in an air scape container. Mainly for looks since I don’t want the bags on my counters.

I buy in “bulk” since I go through so much and sometimes for free shipping. It’s not unusual for me to order 2 -3 bags at 2lbs per. I vacuum seal when they arrive, punch a hole in the bag to help vacuum more air out and toss in the freezer. I’ve used some 3-4 months past roast and have noticed nothing bad happening from freezer.

Check out offerings from:
klatch coffee
Black and white roasters
Sey
George Howell coffee

Oh boy, I see how this could get out of hand quickly.

Really, I love coffee and drink at least 4 large cups per day - about 48oz.

Not sure how that translates to beans, but i would bet my life that there is a calculator somewhere.😄

Anyway, I'm going to be mixing it up with the Keurig pods so I may only do a pour over once per day. I'm not even sure how much coffee to grind for a 12oz mug, or how many grams of beans that equals, but I'll figure it out.

If you don't have a small local coffee roaster near you, buy a small bag of whole beans at your local supermarket. Once you open the beans, store them in an airtight glass jar. Grind the beans fresh every day for you daily coffee. The coffee will be much better than coffee that comes already ground and far better than Keurig. Keurig has its place, but it's very ordinary coffee at an expensive price. Sort of the instant coffee of the 21st Century. Good coffee is an inexpensive luxury product.

Oh I figured that. The Keurig cups are the price of convenience, both in the quality of the resulting cup (lower) and the price of the pods (much higer).

Unfortunately I got roped in by the ease and speed of using it. That may change now.

I also meant to say that if you only make 1 cup at a time, I HIGHLY recommend the Aeropress. In my house, I'm the only coffee drinker so I can make one cup at a time, and the Aeropress is so easy, but also so customizable, and yet makes a brilliant cup of coffee.

I may do that in time. I will certainly look it up.

Part 2:

Also strangely enough, as you may imagine with many things I do in life, like shaving, I tend to go a little crazy. I dive in head first and descend into a little crazy territory. I’ve tried several types of coffee makers, inexpensive to expensive, with different drip rates and temps, bold and light settings, etc.

What the strange thing is, the $20 12-cup Mr. Coffee you can get from Walmart or Target makes a fantastic cup of coffee, better than expensive ones and even single pours.

Top Bottom