What's new

Normal Brush Hair Loss?

Hi all,

I recently picked up a brand new Rooney Style 2 Super Silvertip brush. I have noticed that over the last couple of weeks, a hair or two will fall out during use. I'm curious as to what "normal" hair loss for brush is, and if lossing a hair or two during use is normal for a new brush?

Thanks. Frank

I got a 2/1 super last year. It's a great brush. For the first month it would shed a hair, maybe two per shave, then maybe one or two a week for another month or so. After that, it has not really shed a single hair that I recall.

I think that it's normal for the weak/brittle/poorly attached hairs to find their way out during the break-in period.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
There are several thousands of hairs in a knot (about 1000 hairs per gram weight, and a knot weight is somewhere between 16 and 20 g, guess for a 22 or 24 mm size), so loss of a few hairs in the break-in phase is quite normal. I just would worry if the brush looses 5 or more hairs after several weeks of use, this is not normal. My first brush I made for myself from a TGN 24 mm Silvertip, lost about 30-50 hairs during the first 10 shaves or so, but then after-wards maybe a hair or two per ten shaves.

after a couple of hairs in the first few shaves (ones that were never attached to the knot, just sitting in among the other hairs) there shouldnt be any hair loss

Top Bottom