What's new

NINTH ANNUAL "One Blade in February" Challenge - 2018 Edition

I haven't updated in a while. Early last week, I started noticing that my feather blade was dropping off in terms of quality of shave. The two things I notice first when a blade drops off is I get irritation under my chin, and about halfway through the day, I'll notice that my stubble is growing back faster than it should (i.e. not as close a shave as it should be). This lasted for 3 days, and I was about to give up on the blade but I gave it one more chance.

The next day it was perfectly smooth and comfortable and felt like a nearly new blade. It was a completely different experience than the previous few days. And over the past week, the shaves have all been similar. So now, 28 shaves on this Feather and it looks like it's going to last me a while longer too!

February 28th
Razor: Feather SS
Blade: Feather ProGuard (28)
Soap/cream: Viking Longship
Brush: Wolf Whiskers Silvertip
Aftershave1: T.N. Dickinson's Witch Hazel
Aftershave2: Fine Clean Vetiver

MADE IT! WAHOO! What I learned is that even with the blade loaded if I strop it like a traditional straight I will get better shaves. The blade is a fantastic blade that honestly probably had 5 shaves left in it, but in my mind this was a challenge just to see if I could do it. I see blades as cheap and while I might push it past my normal 7 shaves, I don't think I will push one this far until February 2019.

The blade served me well... A moment of silence please:
IMG_20180228_053840.jpg

And my SOTD

IMG_20180227_195429.jpg

OBIF 2018

Gillette NEW SC
Gillette Nacet (14)
Williams 3017 (16)
Yaqi 22mm synthetic
Finished with Fine L'Orange Noir.

What can I say, 14 shaves in, BBS except for a tiny rough patch on the corner of my Jaw under my ear.
Absolutely zero irritation, nicks, or weepers.
The blade is pulling badly but still doing its job; I know it has more acceptable shaves left.
That said, it's getting changed out for a fresh one tomorrow night, and I'm calling this my first successful challenge for actually using only one blade, the Nacet really impressed me.
Although Excalibur is not on my radar anytime soon, next year I may just take a different approach using a mild razor and push for a full 28.
Thanks, fellas for letting me participate, and congratulations to the other finalists.

OBIF Day 28 Shave 28:

Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (28)
Razor: Rockwell 6S-4
Soap: Tabac
Brush: Omega 48

This is the first time I have participated in OBIF, and only the 2nd time I have taken a blade this far.

OBIF

Blade: Voskhod (6)
Razors: 1916 Single Ring, '52 SS, and 1919 Khaki Old Type
Soap: RR Don Marco and Maca Root shave cream
Brush: Semogue 620

This is my second Feb challenge. I clearly picked the wrong blade, as 6 shaves was too much for this Voskhod blade. I did cheat and fill in with a couple SR shaves.

Shave #24. 7O'Clock Permasharp still running strong
Missed another day due to travel.
I'm going to keep running this until I hit 28 minimum or until I can't stand it which there seems little indication of at this point. Glad i was able to get these blades again.

Feb 28
Ikon El Jefe / Schick Proline (30)
Estoril Shave Cream
Fine Fresh Vetiver
It’s been a fun month, I quite enjoy the Schick Proline blades.

February 28, 2018

Made it with my Feather for the entire month. I got 23 shaves in this month. Had a few days where I missed a shave (and a lot of days when I didn't even log into B&B...school is getting busy), so I didn't get 28 shaves on it, but the blade is still going strong in my SR-71 slant.

The comfort is falling off a bit, but this month has been a little rough in general with the shaves. Since last November, I've been trying to make some real moves in terms of fitness and health. After losing around 25 pounds, my face has slimmed down and I now have a jawline that has some angles that I'm not used to dealing with.

Since I tend to try and one-blade every month (I love trying to Excalibur my blades), I'm going to switch razors for March and probably use a Polsilver blade since I haven't used one of those in a while.

Happy shaving in March to all of you!

OBiF Shave #26 SuperMax Tiger SP blade (8/8/8/2), Merkur 20C, TOBS Sandalwood. Last shave for February. Wasn't even close to what others were getting but had fun trying.

Shave no. 27
Gillette SharpEdge
Merkur 34c
Semogue 1250
Stirling Tea Tree

I skipped a day, so the blade only has 27 shaves. It was great to participate in the OBiF challenge. Although the blade made it this far, I will not normally put this many shaves on a blade.

OBIF Shave #28 (2/28/2018)
Razor: I2/1963 Gillette Slim
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue #28
Brush: B & B Essential boar - Seafoam
Soap: Mini Moustachery Raggabrash
AS: Nivea Balm

Final OBIF 2018 SOTD

Blade:
Bolzano (28) :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Tortoise
Soap: Proraso Red tube
Brush: Tortoise S-Brush
ASL: Proraso Red [Sandalwood]
upload_2018-2-28_22-30-22.png
:001_smile

A BIG THANK YOU to @goby for hosting this fun magical annual technique sharpening event! :punk:

Feather ProGuard (23, 24)

And we're done. The blade made it to the end, but it required a lot of extra work for the last week.

I'll put in a fresh one tomorrow. I'll need to remind myself to go slow again. This worn blade may have made me a bit cavalier with my technique.

Congrats to everyone who made it! See you all next year!

Shave #28 for the Personna Platinum
Old Type
Cold water and glycerine soap prep
RR Caribbean Coconut face lathered with Semogue 830
Lucky Tiger

The blade is still doing its job with good results, but I will move on to a less used blade tomorrow. I have a Tech loaded in January, and I guess there is only a week of shaves or so on that blade.

It's been fun. Smooth shaves, all!

I plan to try a Topaz next year, or some other Indian blade. Or maybe some carbon steel. It's not a challenge to me personally to use a blade I typically get 80 or 90 shaves on for the One Blade in Feb.

Feb 15th
Personna '74 (26)
Shick type L Injector
Rudy Vey beehive with 26mm Shavemac 2-band fan.
Vitos Menthol Pre & Post Cream (Applied as preshave)
Haslinger Schafmilch - Tallow formula
Clubman Virgin Islands Bay Rum
Suavecito Tea Tree post-shave balm

26 shaves on it and this blade still has some life left. It is noticably dulling. I'm feeling some resistance, especially ATG on my chin, and I'm having to do more touchup than when it was fresh. But, it's still giving me good, pain-free shaves. I am stropping daily, and that seems to be helping the blade remain smooth. I expect to keep with this blade for a while longer.

I really do feel like a cheater for my blade choice.

One Blade in February--Second Round

Feather SS Straight Handle
Feather AC Pro (11)
Omega S-Brush
Cella
Nivea "Maximum Hydration" balm

As noted earlier I binned the first AC pro blade at 17 shaves and started with a fresh one. My goal is to learn if I can get extra blade life by paying closer attention to blade angle along the way. Its still too soon to tell whether this blade is going to hold up better. I'll stay with it at least through the weekend and see if it starts tugging.

Congratulations to all those who made the effort! A big huzzah to those who made it through the month. I am especially impressed with the guys who did what I couldn't and made it through with a Feather AC blade!

Close but did not make it to the end. Came home on days off and went for a haircut. Decided to get a hot shave without thinking. Blade still had a bit left in it too.
Oh well, next year.
Congrats to those who made it!

Final OBIF 2018 SOTD

A BIG THANK YOU to @goby for hosting this fun magical annual technique sharpening event! :punk:

You're welcome!!

Last shave (27) on the Polsilver. I really really love the blade. Derbys were my go to for many years, and really smooth, but not that sharp. Feathers are too sharp. The Polsilvers are just perfect.

Top Bottom