What's new

Nightcaps

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
reeffanatic said:
Can those who love Grey Goose tell me why? As a former head bartender at a martini bar my Grey Goose sales where just about 4 to 1 against any other vodka and, I had over 20 different ones to choose from. I can't stand the stuff and would rank this swill just above 5 O'Clock vodka. But seriously can anybody tell what it is about this stuff?

Marketing.

You know every study on this I have ever heard says that alcohol may help you get to sleep but it hinders what would be considered a "good, restful night sleep" and thus taking alcohol just before bed may actually be harming your sleep in the long run.

ouch

fuerein said:
You know every study on this I have ever heard says that alcohol may help you get to sleep but it hinders what would be considered a "good, restful night sleep" and thus taking alcohol just before bed may actually be harming your sleep in the long run.

Thank you, but if that's the case, I'll have to take one for the team. :biggrin:

Now who's got a bottle of '63 Quinta do Noval Nacional for me to experiment with. :scared:

reeffanatic said:
Can those who love Grey Goose tell me why? As a former head bartender at a martini bar my Grey Goose sales where just about 4 to 1 against any other vodka and, I had over 20 different ones to choose from. I can't stand the stuff and would rank this swill just above 5 O'Clock vodka. But seriously can anybody tell what it is about this stuff?

Well, I do think YMMV. I have only seen a couple of Vodka blind taste tests, but in both Grey Goose came out in the lead. And most people I know find it one of the better tasting. That said, all I know is that I had a big bottle, and liked it a lot better than Belvedere, Skyy or especially Absolut (that is swill, but YMMV). Basically, I think it is a combination of being pleasant to most people, and a REALLY big dose of what Ouch said.

-Mo

reeffanatic said:

I don't really know because I'm not a vodka drinker, but I suspect a lot of people are strongly attracted to the name (it is attractive to me, but as I said, I don't care for vodka) and a lot of others are won over because of its obvious popularity. Not to mention their marketing.

Tim

Justso said:
I'm thinking about trying the Celestial Seasonings Sleepy Time Tea...

What is in that tea that makes you sleepy? Does anyone know?

In the regular Sleepytime it's just a soothing chamomile tea, but in the Sleepytime Extra there is Valarian root, which is the same chemical family as valium, at least I've heard it is, and induces drowsiness, I do know this one for sure. Though it's very mild. But I still like it very much. They both taste extremely similar I doubt you could taste the difference and they both taste very good, IMO.

reeffanatic said:

Marketing and after the Beverage Tasting Institute gave it a very high ranking they flaunted it all over the place. IMO, many and maybe even most who drink vodka really don't know what they're drinking. This is a generalization, not a rule of course. I think personally that nearly all vodka tastes like crap, or if not that, it tastes like nothing, neither of which is what I'm looking for.

ouch

rtaylor61 said:
Joel,

How do you heat up the Sake?

Randy

Nah, that's just room temperature in Joel's house. Helps to keep the lather warm.:lol:

Here's another great herbal tea: Night Night by Teavana My wife and I have a cup at night before retiring.
Now here's something you should be aware of: I enjoy my single malts, or occasionally a glass of sherry before bedtime. However--and this is what most people are unaware of: Alcohol may relax you and help you fall asleep, but alcohol will disrupt and prevent REM. This means that although you'll fall asleep, you won't have any REM.
I know, I know, there will be those who will argue back that they do, but this isn't personal preference--this is science, and it is simply the effect that alcohol has on the CNS. Enjoy the booze--I know I do, but understand that there is a price to pay. No REM. :sad:

perhaps you should go witht the peppermint schnapps instead. <lol>

joel said:
...I don't like going to sleep with the combo of scotch/whisky taste - muddled over with toothpaste in my mouth...

Ahh the nightcap. I at first assumed you meant a night cap/hat and wondered if anyone still wore them. They were a regular piece of attire in the Three Stooges and Little Rascals movie shorts and I though if Bell Bottoms and short shorts could make a comeback, so could the night cap.

In terms of a nightcap...I find a couple of benadryls makes me sleep like a baby.

I agree. I never get drunk to try to get to sleep, but I once heard a well reasoned argument for drinking exactly one beer before bedtime. I tried it a few times and it does help me fall to sleep. But, then I always seem to wake up an hour or two later and then I cannot go back to sleep. :frown:

Tim

I'm not a vodka drinker, but a Russian friend of mine once told me, "You can't tell how good a vodka really is when you drink it, but you will find out the next day!" I remember him liking Grey Goose.

As I get older, the quality of my sleep gets worse and worse... and I'm only 31!!! If I have any alcohol at night, especially more than a single serving, I always seems to wake up in the middle of the night feeling terrible after the alcohol has been processed by my system. I wish I could though, there is nothing like a single shot of something to help me relax.

I guess I'm the odd ball here. Warm milk does it for me :blushing:

I know I am odd so it's warm milk for me as well but then again I usually only get 4 hours of sleep at night so when my head does finally hit the pillow I have no problems falling asleep.

Booze does not help your body rest because your just sleeping off the booze....:rolleyes:

I agree. I never get drunk to try to get to sleep, but I once heard a well reasoned argument for drinking exactly one beer before bedtime. I tried it a few times and it does help me fall to sleep. But, then I always seem to wake up an hour or two later and then I cannot go back to sleep. :frown:

Tim

I don't feel a moderate amount of alcohol before bed inhibits my sleep, but a large amount certainly does. I will be awake in 4 hours feeling like $&*#.

Wow, blast from the past! This thread is actually what got me drinking Sleepytime 3 years ago when I was living in DC on my first internship!

Tim, that makes sense. It takes your body ~4hrs to process alcohol. Therefore, if you get drunk and go to sleep, it wears off and you wake up. I don't see anything wrong with a small amount of alcohol if you can't sleep though.

I'm trying the SleepyTime Extra(sans alcohol) tonight for the first time. Hoping it will help with my restless nights.

Last night I had a Whiskey Sour before bed and had a great night sleep.

Top Bottom