What's new

Nightcaps

I remember reading a while back in an issue of Gourmet, about how so many people today rely on sleeping medication and they postulate that one reason for this could be the gentlemanly pastime of nightcaps has gone by the wayside. A gentleman or lady would retire in the evening with mug full of hot toddy and soothe themself to sleep. I love soothing, warm nighttime drinks with a book before bed.
My favorite is Sleepytime Tea by Celestial Seasonings with honey, lemon, cinnamon and a belt of Glenlivet 12. Resplendent.

Does anyone else have a favorite nightcap, hot toddy recipe, spiced warm libation, straight snifter or other drink, they'd like to shave with the rest of us as the weather grows colder?

My parents gave me the Sleepytime tea when I was a child and couldn't get to sleep. Worked wonders, it really did. I don't do it anymore though.

TimmyBoston said:
I remember reading a while back in an issue of Gourmet, about how so many people today rely on sleeping medication and they postulate that one reason for this could be the gentlemanly pastime of nightcaps has gone by the wayside. A gentleman or lady would retire in the evening with mug full of hot toddy and soothe themself to sleep. I love soothing, warm nighttime drinks with a book before bed.
My favorite is Sleepytime Tea by Celestial Seasonings with honey, lemon, cinnamon and a belt of Glenlivet 12. Resplendent.

Does anyone else have a favorite nightcap, hot toddy recipe, spiced warm libation, straight snifter or other drink, they'd like to shave with the rest of us as the weather grows colder?

100-115 degree Sake. It is mighty easy on the digestive system - super relaxing, easy/smooth flavor/taste that won't linger/taint your breath (I don't like going to sleep with the combo of scotch/whisky taste - muddled over with toothpaste in my mouth. I also like the warmth of the sake (as neat hard alchy isn't all that "warming" when it is cold) and the Japanese Sake sets I have are mighty pleasing to look at, and the simple design of the small cups/sake "pitcher" are relaxing, calming and elegant. Sipping on a little good quality sake while winding down with a good book is mighty hard to beat. Cognac is my favorite (overall and with a book) but before bed, is a crime - as it is a waste of superb cognac (in my opinon). Organic sake's are really, I mean REALLY different from the swill you get at a japanese restaraunt, and have a hint of "green/fresh" notes to it, with a much more complex/elegant flavor. Sho Chiku Bai Organic Nama is really one hell of an outstanding selection, and it is quite reasonably priced.

I am also quite fond of Sho Chiku Bai Tokubetsu Junmai Kinpaku (has gold flake in it) as well as Sho Chiku Bai Antique, however they are considerably more expensive and can only be purchased directly from the Takara Sake Factory.... which happens to be no more than 20 minutes from me :biggrin:

If you are ever in the bay area - contact me, and I'll give you the info on it... they have free tastings all day of ALL of their sakes, plum wines, Shochu, and Mirin - except for the very rare/expensive Sho Chiku Bai Antique.

Personally, I consider a snifter of Cognac a great way to wind down in the evening. I can't imagine it being a waste, if you sip it slow with a book, or good movie, or whatever and enjoy it. Port is probably my second favorite nightcap.

As far as sleeping though. Keep in mind that while a drink will generally help get to sleep, as long as you don't need much of a push, it is not considered particularly good for sleep overall. disturbs the sleep patterns somewhat, so you end up with a less solid night of sleep. One drink as a nightcap, though, probably does not last long enough in the system at enough of a concentration to have much of an effect this way.

-Mo

i had never had sake until a trip to mexico last year. yeah - i know it's mexico and all but we ate at a sushi house at our resort and i thought i'd give it a try. i will mention that i was knocked on my *** after 2-3 glasses of it. i am sure quality sake is a treat.

this being said, i am a huge tequila fan and after a stressed out day, i will often times settle down with a book or turn on some quiet tunes and have a small glass to relax.

s~s

one of my favorite nightcaps is B&B..(not badger & blade)...Benedictine & Brandy.

I pour a small snifter of that, sometimes on the rocks and it puts me right to sleep..I love it.

I'm thinking about trying the Celestial Seasonings Sleepy Time Tea...

What is in that tea that makes you sleepy? Does anyone know?

moses said:
Personally, I consider a snifter of Cognac a great way to wind down in the evening. I can't imagine it being a waste, if you sip it slow with a book, or good movie, or whatever and enjoy it. Port is probably my second favorite nightcap.

As far as sleeping though. Keep in mind that while a drink will generally help get to sleep, as long as you don't need much of a push, it is not considered particularly good for sleep overall. disturbs the sleep patterns somewhat, so you end up with a less solid night of sleep. One drink as a nightcap, though, probably does not last long enough in the system at enough of a concentration to have much of an effect this way.

-Mo

Mo,
Cognac - at least to me is an experience, not a drink - to be enjoyed INCREDIBLY slow, sometimes hours to take down a small 1 oz portion in a cognac globe. After experiencing such a joy - it is wonderful to follow up with a cigar, pipe, or just relax in the splendor of the superb aftertaste of fine cognac for hours before it diffuses. Muddling the fine aftertaste of cognac with toothpaste before bed seems like a scene out of a movie... a surrel peaceful scene of a couple on a picnic - then suddenly a parade of pillaging vikings comes over the hill - swords drawn - screaming.

Cognac - at least to me... GOOD cognac is on of the most luxurious and tremendous experiences in life - almost an all day event... but hey - to each their own :biggrin:

Joel,

I do see your point about the toothpaste, and rather like the vikings analogy. I have three answers to this.

1) I find this a problem with any pleasing nightcap. In general though, while good cognac my be especially nice, in general for a nightcap, it just fits the bill, and the fact that it may later be viciously eliminated by toothpaste doesn't really change the fact that it is a pleasant evening beverage.

2) If I am going for a really pleasant winddown to long week, I do all my evening prep, including tooth brushing, first (unless drinking port, for obvious reasons). Now, of course, one has to wait a little while after that and apply lots of water before attempting to enjoy drinking anything.

3) I probably do not drink as good a cognac as you, given the general descriptions of you alcohol indulgences. So if I do not enjoy it absolutely to the fullest, no foul, as long as it made my evening more pleasant.

As you say, to each their own. I also like single malt in winter and bourbon in summer as nightcaps.

-Mo

BlackLabelBrewer said:
A white russian for dessert can be nice, especially during the summer.

I made a lot of those in the dorm in college. (No alcohol was not allowed, but well....). Friends often came knocking on my door looking for one.

-Mo

moses said:
I made a lot of those in the dorm in college. (No alcohol was not allowed, but well....). Friends often came knocking on my door looking for one.

-Mo

Of the ingredients in a white russian, milk that hasn't gone bad is the rarest of the 3 in my apartment. This thread reminded me that I actually have some currently (and at least for another week or so), so I think I'll make one. :sleep:

I like straight bourbon, or sometimes a beer. But, I don't do it very often.

On the rare occasion when I want a liqueur, it is usually 150th Anniversary Grand Marnier. A rare resource that I have been nipping from since 1990 (a single bottle). :redface:

Tim

ratcheer said:
I like straight bourbon, or sometimes a beer. But, I don't do it very often.

On the rare occasion when I want a liqueur, it is usually 150th Anniversary Grand Marnier. A rare resource that I have been nipping from since 1990 (a single bottle). :redface:

Tim

Particularly hoppy beers make good nightcaps. The hops have a tranquilizing effect, so an IPA, imperial stout, or certain barley wines would be a good choice for beer as a nightcap.

Not sure about the tea, but I certainly enjoy Glenlivet. My evening vices are single-malt scotches and good bourbons. My favorite scotches are Lagavulin 16-year, Lafroaig (various vintages), Talisker, and McCallen when I'm looking for something on the milder side. On the bourbon front, I enjoy Woodford Reserve and Eagle Rare. After a couple (neat or on the rocks), I'm usually in for a nice night of rest!

castlecraver said:
Of the ingredients in a white russian, milk that hasn't gone bad is the rarest of the 3 in my apartment. This thread reminded me that I actually have some currently (and at least for another week or so), so I think I'll make one. :sleep:

Ah, but just as they are better with Grey Goose and Kahlua Especial, they are also richer, creamier, and generally better with half and half. That's the way I used to make them. Well, not completely true. General purpose for people stopping by for a drink was regular Kalhua and Skyy. But for special occasions, or good friends in need of an extra special pick me, there was the Goose and Especial.

-Mo

I have a horrible habit of going for coffee late at night.... I have GOT to find some decaf! Coffee never used to keep me up at night but it does now and I need to rethink this.. but I also love jack daniels, a good cognac or cuban rum in the evenings.. I go for warm things this time of year tho and will probably be making a batch of glug shortly.... this is delightful in front of a fireplace during a snowstorm with some Mozart on the radio.... mmm, heaven.

Sue (Mama Bear)

Can those who love Grey Goose tell me why? As a former head bartender at a martini bar my Grey Goose sales where just about 4 to 1 against any other vodka and, I had over 20 different ones to choose from. I can't stand the stuff and would rank this swill just above 5 O'Clock vodka. But seriously can anybody tell what it is about this stuff?

Top Bottom