What's new

NFL thread.

Wohoo Pats win!

Why would the Seahawks pass at the one yard line?!? The worst play call in Super Bowl history by Pete Carroll the dirtiest coach in football.

I can't believe we won! That Kearse catch was going to go down with Tyree and Manningham but we pulled it out.

I definitely think Seattle over-thought the play call but also it was a hell of a read and reaction by Butler.

There used to be. Back in the 90s the refs would call a 5 yard penalty if the crowd noise was considered too loud. In fact it's still in the rule book (in the "Timing" section of the digest):

"When, in the judgment of the Referee, the level of crowd noise prevents the offense from hearing its signals, he can institute a series of procedures which can result in a loss of team time outs or a five-yard penalty against the defensive team."

Yeah, as a Kansas City Chiefs fan I can attest to the curses the NFL put on our team. Number 1 was that whining !@##$ John Elway standing in Arrowhead holding his hands to is ears and looking as helpless as he could be to the refs. And the geniuses would throw the flag. And it happened more than once. Now that he is out of the NFL we magically don't get that call anymore. And in case anyone wondered it is K.C. who holds the decibel level record. Well unless Seattle got it back this year and I didn't hear about it. Second was the Neil Smith 'flinch' rule. This started the entire stupid idea the defence could false start the play. Neil would jack his left hip in the air but NOT move past the line of scrimmage. It was a very effective move. And the NFL started making these ignorant defensive rules to negate it. Can you tell we believe in sports curses here in K.C.?

That Kearse catch was going to go down with Tyree and Manningham but we pulled it out.

I was thinking the exact same thing; that the Patriots would lose 3 Super Bowls in a row due to flukey circus catches. I didn't care this year, but I was ecstatic the first two times.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Today's Final Jeopardy:

proxy.php

Seahawks are my #2 team. My #1 team is the Panthers. So, my hopes were with the Seahawks last night. I was quite upset with the call when they were 2nd and Goal. You have a beast like Lynch in the backfield...why risk it? I'm no coach, I'm no quarterback...I just don't see the logic in that.

But here's the real problem, guys....what do we do for the next eight months???

Even if you decide to throw the ball there at least throw it to the outside. That being said just give it to Lynch for crying out loud.

I'm not really of fan of either, but that was probably the greatest thing ever witnessing a play call like that. It's like they let a random drunk guy playing Madden 2015, on his couch at home, make the play call. Historic! LOL! A deserved win for the Pats for sure!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I had no strong feelings about either team. If I were leaning toward anyone, it probably was the Seahawks, but I was just hoping to enjoy the game. Boy, howdy, did I! Once the Seahawks' offense finally got warmed up, that was quite a match!

The ending, though. My goodness. Talk about outsmarting yourself. I've never seen a worse case.

There's a screenshot right as the play is starting where Lockette is wide open and it looks like it's going to work to perfection. But Butler's recognition and gutsy reaction (if Lockette fakes inside and then goes on a fade, no one is covering him) is what made the difference. If Lockette catches that and goes in everyone would be saying how ingenious it was to go against their strength. Also the Pats came out in a completely different defense, with 8 DL and LBs, 3 CBs and no safeties.

It's fair to kill the call, but that's only part of it. The Pats defended it and Butler made the play too.

There's a screenshot right as the play is starting where Lockette is wide open and it looks like it's going to work to perfection. But Butler's recognition and gutsy reaction (if Lockette fakes inside and then goes on a fade, no one is covering him) is what made the difference. If Lockette catches that and goes in everyone would be saying how ingenious it was to go against their strength. Also the Pats came out in a completely different defense, with 8 DL and LBs, 3 CBs and no safeties.

It's fair to kill the call, but that's only part of it. The Pats defended it and Butler made the play too.

I politely have to disagree. You always (bolded, underlined & italics) run the ball in this situation. You learn this in Pee-Wee. If they pulled it off, it wouldn't have been genius, it would have been the most successful reckless play in NFL history. They (quite) literally handed it over by a very very bad play. I have no bias for either team, but I feel bad for 12th Man today... What a way to let down your fans.

Last edited:
At worst, Wilson runs read option. No excuse for not running.

Also no excuse for #1 defense to give up 14 unanswered points.

Also no excuse for the dopiest encroachment at the one yard line ever.

Top Bottom