What's new

Nfl 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone makes mistakes in signing players. Elway is no exception. Elway may think he didn't overpay for Thomas. He did, and to huge guaranteed money. Can't cut him and hasn't been able to restructure. One could argue that Sanders is a better receiver than Thomas and at 1/3 the price. Thomas also has had some history of not showing up prior to the 2015 season.

Sander in the playoffs-16 receptions for 230 yards.

Thomas in the playoffs-7 receptions for 60 yards.

No question Sanders was their most solid receiver most of last year. Thomas has run hot and cold. He still made some big plays when it counted. And Sanders wouldn't have looked as good if Thomas wasn't getting good coverage. I'm not ready to call him overpaid and done yet. Can't say yet who the Broncos QB will be but whoever it is will have a stronger arm than Peyton did last year and be able to get balls down the field that don't wobble which will help. If Thomas doesn't pick up them might be in for restructuring, like they're doing with Clady now. Now Montee Ball, there was a mistake. Passed on Lacey to get him.

Hearing the Texans signed Osweiller, $72 million over 4 years. Not sure he's worth it, guess we'll see. Obviously Elway didn't think so.

Last edited:
That's one way to look at it. Denver cleared out some good players on defense to open cap space to sign Osweiller. Osweiller was experience in the Denver offense and decided to move on. Obviously Osweiller wasn't too keen on how they treated him in Denver as the offers reported weren't that much different. My crystal ball says, look for Denver management to smear Osweiller on the way out the door to save face.

We will find out how good Elway is after a SB year and how good Kubiak is at coaching up a QB who has not had a snap in the Denver offense. It has been reported that RG III is now on Elway's list.

Maybe we have entered the Trevor Siemian era in Denver. He has had 1 NFL snap in the Denver offense.

No need to smear Osweiler. He didn't seem to want to stay in Denver. Probably wise on his part. He's going to a tough situation but at least getting paid and is following a lengthy string of troubled QBs rather than Peyton Manning. He will probably do OK there. But he's facing a good group - Colts Andrew Luck, Jags Blake Bortles and the Titans Marcus Mariota. Doubt Trevor will be starting but he's not bad.

Last edited:
You are right. It has been reported that Elway knew a week ago that resigning Osweiller was doubtful. It wasn't Elway's choice. It had nothing to do with whether Elway thought he was worth it or not. Elway misread the tea leaves. Hence, plan B.

Houston plays in the horrid AFC South. They have a decent defense with some holes. They just have no talent or leadership on offense which put a lot of pressure on the defense. Don't know if Osweiller will turn them around. Can't hurt.

We have no idea how Elway read the tea leaves or what he's up to. He's no more likely to tip his hand than Belichick.

We know he was up to offering Osweiller a lucrative competitive contract which he refused and as of today the Bronco's have no viable QB.

He didn't refuse it, the Texans paid Osweiler nearly what Manning was making. No way. At least we get compensatory draft picks for losing Osweiler Trevathan and Malik. That's how we got Trevor Siemian.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...weiler-agrees-in-principle-to-72m-texans-deal

Osweiler certainly DID REFUSE the Denver offer, reported to be "a couple million dollar short"(per year) with $30 millions guaranteed. Denver clearly wanted Osweiler as plan A. So we know what Elway's first choice was. Elway by his own admission revealed he only learned that signing Osweiler was probably not in the cards this week. Osweiler made out in a weak QB market. He used Denver to get a bigger payday.

When you don't want somebody. Do what the Red Sox did to Jon Lester. Offer him a contract worth a quarter of market value. That clearly gives the player a clear message you don't want him.

If you want to call taking a higher offer refusing, OK. Osweiler got paid, good for him. Glad the Broncos didn't shell out $72 million for a guy whose starting record is essentially 4-3 with the best defense I've seen. Osweiler was plan A but not for that price. Osweiler probably didn't know until last week either.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
A part of me is saddened by Manning's retirement. Offense started going more pass heavy due to him and Brady.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
It's costing a pretty penny, but my Giants might actually end up with a respectable defence this year.

Any opinions where RGIII might land now that the Redskins have released him? Not Denver I hope, [emoji6]
Maybe I was wrong this. While he wouldn't be my first choice, maybe give him a shot. Might get him cheap. Seems arrogant which is my issue with him. Can't forget the image of his offensive linemen not helping him up after tackles, that's not good.

There is confidence and there is swag. Confidence comes from dedication and humility in the learning process to acquire skills. Swag comes from a sense of entitlement, arrogance and self importance.

Lebron has confidence and swag. He dominates with skill and knowledge. He get coaches fired. But HE is THE MAN.

The problem with RG III is he has swag but hasn't dedicated himself to learn the fundamentals to develop the skills to become a starting QB. He pit the owner against the coach in DC. It worked for a while until he was exposed. The game proved much too fast for him. I don't think he learned much from his demise in Washington...(cryptic note he left in his locker).

Kaepernick ditto.

I would love to see the Kaepernick or RGIII-Elway show in Denver. Elway had an ego as a player. He made it work to his advantage. He has an ego as a GM. Bring them both in. Those personalities would be quite entertaining. Would bring back the excitement of the Tebow era in Denver.

The more I think about it, it really doesn't seem like the Broncos wanted Osweiler that badly. I know they've been paying lip service saying they like him. But they could have extended his contact last year and didn't. They waited quite a while to make him an offer this year and it was low. Maybe they didn't really want him as much as they claim. I know he was Elways sons college roommate for years so there's a strong link there.

I would love to see the Kaepernick or RGIII-Elway show in Denver. Elway had an ego as a player. He made it work to his advantage. He has an ego as a GM. Bring them both in. Those personalities would be quite entertaining. Would bring back the excitement of the Tebow era in Denver.
I doubt they'd both end up in Denver. If Elway swings the Kaepernick deal, I suspect RGIII would end up with the 49ers. But I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom