What's new

Newly re-plated razors and custom handles! PIC HEAVY

So I finally got around to re-plating both my NEW LC and OLD Type. Both were in need of some TLC since the finish was pretty rough on the OLD and completely gone on the NEW. I looked at all the usual places that do re-plating, and they were either too expensive or took too long. In my search, I stumbled across some pictures of razors finished in cerakote (a hardened ceramic coating) and I loved the look. Some were even done in black, which looked amazing! Long story short, I found John, owner of TX Custom Weapons just outside of Austin. John coats firearms in cerakote, but also does razors. After contacting him (he's on Facebook), I also found that he makes his own custom razor handles and razor/brush stands as well! His prices are more than fair, and he was able to get me my razors back within a week! Probably helps I'm local, but still! Below are some pictures to show his amazing work. He did the NEW LC in black (not everyone's cup of tea I know) and the OLD in a matte gold. I wanted to retain the gold look, but make it a bit more modern. He has access to almost every color cerakote, and can adjust the brightness level himself. I also wanted a replacement handle for my EJ89 since the chrome finish plus the knurling running the length of the handle make for a slippery combination. Not only did he make exactly what I wanted, but he also made me another handle to fit and color match the OLD type as vintage and modern razors have different thread patterns. I was a bit skeptical of the handle sizes at first, but they are made of aluminum so they're very light (lighter than the EJ89 stock handle) and actually assist in stabilizing the razor. The knurling is very aggressive so I can confidently grip the razor even in the soapiest conditions. I love the look and feel of my "new" razors, John does first class work!

Thanks John!
IMAG2035.jpg
IMAG2036.jpg
IMAG2037.jpg

IMAG2049.jpg
IMAG2039.jpg
IMAG2041.jpg
IMAG2043.jpg

Last edited:
very nice. Does the coating affect the shave? Glide?
The coating doesnt affect the shave at all.

Very nice razors.

How are they to clean after use? Does soap scum clean off the coating easily?
The ceramic coating, while they say is slick, has a good amount of "rough" texture to it, so I don't feel like I'm going to drop the razor. However, the soap buidup comes off very easily under hot water. Even from between the teeth on the comb.

Great looking razors and handles. Does he have a website? How do we contact him.
He is on Facebook, just search for Texas Custom Weapons. His name is John. PM me for phone # and last name.

I like it. Might have to order a couple spray cans from Lauer Custom Weaponry. Sucks having to pay the hazmat fee though.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Top Bottom