What's new

Straight Razor Shavers

King Gillette, in about 1903 (I know, there were earlier designs) did the world a favor by inventing the “safety razor “, a guarded razor tool to remove hair without the risk of severe injury associated with straight razor shaving. And since that time billions of men and women have enjoyed the benefit of his invention and the innumerable copies and refinements of his design. And then there are the straight razor shavers.

These guys (and I assume they are men; I’ve never heard of a straight shaving woman) eschew the obvious advantages of the safety razor with disposable blades to risk mutilation by dragging an insanely sharp unguarded three inch blade across their faces, a blade that cannot be simply discarded when dull (I know, shavettes) but must be constantly resharpened and honed through the skillful use of leather straps and stones. To use this instrument effectively and safely requires concentration and practice, a certain ambidextrousness and what can only be described as courage. And my reaction to this practice is, and ever will be, why?

Now I live amidst a most peculiar people, the Amish, who eschew all modern conveniences to live an essentially 19th Century lifestyle for religious reasons that I don’t completely understand. Their lives are hard. And dangerous. Several times a month I read stories of these people dying in farm accidents and buggy-car crashes that might have been avoided had they availed themselves of modern conveniences. And they know this too. But it’s their RELIGION, and who am I to question it.

But the straight razor shaver rejects modernity and convenience and safety to remove whiskers from his face because….? I don’t know. I don’t know why people climb El Capitan without ropes or jump off Angel Falls in bat suits or ride mountain bikes down crazily steep hills or inject themselves with unknown substances purchased from criminals. Man is indeed a mystery.

Now if you ask a thrill-seeker why he does these things he’ll answer with some variation of the famous mountain climbers quote that he didn’t climb mountains to die, but to live, meaning, I suppose, that risk-taking endowed him with something good that ordinary life couldn’t provide, without which his life would not be worth living.

So back to the straight razor shaver. Does he eschew the convenience and safety of the safety razor like our Amishman rejects the modern world in deference to his religion, in this case a secular belief that modern practices are somehow “wrong”? Or is he injecting the thrill of risk-taking into an otherwise boring grooming activity to enrich his life with some otherwise unobtainable good? You tell me.

I admit that there is an undefinable pleasure in mastering a skill, even an unnecessary skill that must be satisfying on some level. I know people who throw axes at targets and ride electric unicycles and they seem to enjoy it.

I also know that for every activity there are fanatics and zealots who have to do it differently, and so it seems with shaving.

Providing more questions than answers, I throw up my hands. I do not understand straight razor shaving, and I suppose I never will.

It's not that dangerous: I have had worse injuries forgetting to tighten the doors of my Slim.

It is, oddly enough, a very forgiving shave. More so when you hone your own razors and reach an understanding of exactly what sort of edges your whiskers and skin prefer.

It is an intensely satisfying shave, especially off your own edge.

All in all, amongst this group of people that take so much enjoyment from what most regard as a chore or a necessary evil, I would have thought there would be much more understanding of this particular niche within a niche.

Ultimately, I shave with a straight because, for me, it is far and away the most enjoyable way to shave. That's it.

Legion

Staff member
I admit that there is an undefinable pleasure in mastering a skill, even an unnecessary skill that must be satisfying on some level. I know people who throw axes at targets and ride electric unicycles and they seem to enjoy it.
This is your answer, right here.^

Plus, it's pretty cool being able to use an antique that is 100, 200, even 300 years old, daily.

And it's fun and satisfying to restore them yourself. And to collect and experiment with all the various natural hones.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
It's not that dangerous: I have had worse injuries forgetting to tighten the doors of my Slim.

It is, oddly enough, a very forgiving shave. More so when you hone your own razors and reach an understanding of exactly what sort of edges your whiskers and skin prefer.

It is an intensely satisfying shave, especially off your own edge.

All in all, amongst this group of people that take so much enjoyment from what most regard as a chore or a necessary evil, I would have thought there would be much more understanding of this particular niche within a niche.

Ultimately, I shave with a straight because, for me, it is far and away the most enjoyable way to shave. That's it.
Well said sir, 100% agree. I will add that there is a learning curve and some commitment is required to get through those awkward first shaves. The reward for perseverance is a truly enjoyable and comfortable shaving experience, unmatched in my opinion. I think we are drawn to it, or not. If so, there is no aspect of the straight razor experience that is burdensome, rather the opposite. I don’t encourage others to use a straight razor, but fully support those who are curious and interested. Risk-taking? Hardly. Remarkable shave…definitely!

It's really just not so dangerous as all that. I feel a considerably greater trepidation every time I pull out of my driveway on to a public road in my car than I ever have while shaving. Why do I use one? It's supremely comfortable if I get the honing right, I'm not reliant on someone else for blades/edges, the razors are pretty and graceful looking, and it's very cool to shave with, in the case of my oldest razor, something that was forged when Napoleon was still about, and even the younger ones (mid 19th-early 20th c.) have plenty of history about them. Regrinding, rescaling, and generally tinkering with them is also quite entertaining

All that said, if you don't find straight razors irresistible at first glance, do stay away by all means, I'm not one to evangelize this particular habit (I've got enough competition on ebay as it is).

Providing more questions than answers, I throw up my hands. I do not understand straight razor shaving, and I suppose I never will.
I agree, i don't think you ever will. There is enough information on this platform to answer all your questions.

For me it is a counterblast to the world i live in. I like technology. However, shaving was more or less figured out hundreds of years ago. I would say the average guy knows less about this basic skill today then he would have known hundreds of years ago, even though the information is available, and easier to find today.

Interesting take, OP. I'm just going to go ahead and share my thoughts, for the sake of discusion. As was said before, I had worse shaves with a safety razor after 3 years of using it, that I had with a straight razor after three weeks using it. I can cut my fingers or my face just the same with a DE blade while loading/unloading a safety razors as with a straight. Any sharp object is dangerous in hands that have no idea how to handle it.

Safety razor isn't fully dumb-proof. Maybe a straight razor has a bigger capacity to do deal some damage. But it almost certainly has a capacity to provide a very nice shave. And that is basically why I think some people will never give it up, me including. The connection to history is another aspect. The connection to feeling fully in control of your edge, your angle. My face doesn't like DE blades. With straights, I have the oportunity to master the creation of an edge suited best for my needs, once I master it.

I can take my Philips OneBlade and shave daily - with zero issues. I struggle with razor bumps and ingrown hair when using a sharp, steel blade. And OneBlade will not cut my finers or my skin. But it doesn't make me happy. That is another big factor. Do you like it? Do you enjoy it? Whatever it is, if the answers to those questions are yes, you don't need another man's opinion on the matter. You are only responsible for your own happiness (and your loved ones, but you know what I mean.). So if you like safety razors, that's great. If you don't care about shaving, that's great. If you like x,y,z, that's great.

I like a certain genre of movies, books, music. I like some colors, some foods, a certain brand of beer. No one else in the world might be the same as me, no one else in the world might not understand my taste and I might never understand their taste.

You are in danger when you sit in a car, when you get on a bike, if you work in construction, if you don't cook your meat. You are in danger when you use a 10 inch kitchen knife. So I think that those who want to and like to, will be able to handle a little danger of a straight razor as well. It would have to be a catastrophic scenario to hurt yourself with it after you have become familiar with it. And you become familiar with it pretty fast the moment you feel that edge. You respect it. You will not cut your throat with it unless that is what you want to do. I sneezed a couple of times during a straight razor shave, I did not bleed out. It's built into my muscle memory that, when handling a sharp object, I pay full attention. The moment I know I will not be able to pay full attention, I'll put the sharp object down or at least make the pointy end face away from me.

I don't ignore the advantages of a safety razor, they are just outweighed by the result of a shave. Severe injury associated with using a straight razor? Only that I want a new one every other day. "Dragging an insanely sharp unguarded three inch blade across their faces" - count me in, sounds cool. "Skillful use of leather straps and stones" - yep, feels unbelievably rewarding to make hair fall of an edge you created by draging a piece of steel on stone and leather. "must be constantly resharpened and honed" - eh, probably like every 30-50 shaves for an average user. A DE blade must be tossed into the trash bin after 3-6 uses. "the straight razor shaver rejects modernity and convenience and safety" - man I have a robotic vacuum cleaner with the ability to mop the floor (wet) so I can kick my feet up in front of my 4K, 75 inch TV connected to a surround sound system, while reading stories about nothing on social media with my latest and greatest smartphone. Or I can go to my computer and play a flight simulator with my F-18 stick and throttle replica and make use of my head tracking setup so that I can just look around the cockpit without the need for physical input. Or better yet, slap on my VR headset.

A straight razor shaver (me) is not rejecting anything, laughs on the fact that he is being compared to an Amish, just because he finds a little joy in something considered out-of-the-ordinary by others. A straight gives me the best shave out of my 6 safety razors, 50 DE blades and or a shavette, an electric shaver or a cartridge. My criteria for a shave are: no irritation, no razor bumps. Nothing else. People like traditions, people like vintage stuff. I like a straight razor shave. Which is also considered the peak of luxury in modern man's grooming and people go pay 50 bucks for a straight razor shave from a good barber.

For what it's worth I shave with SRs, Shavettes,SEs,DEs and Carts' (in particular the WilkinsonSword/Schick Protector 3 which I consider to be the 'doyen' of all modern carts since its appearance/invention in the early 1980s, and IMO yet to be equaled). However I've learnt more from SR/Shavette shaving than from any other discipline in terms of technique. It makes you evaluate every aspects of wet shaving from good prep,' lather making skin stretching, grain direction, blade angle etc... And without doubt my skin appreciates it -post shave. At times shaving is a compromise and a trade-off with how your feeling, ie if you feeling unwell a quick whizz with a cart' is ideal. All types of razors have their place, and knowing your razors turns a daily chore into an enjoyable hobby

There are women which use straight razors to shave their legs, for example.

You can cut your fingers or your face with a DE very easily. Just because it is called "safety razor" does not mean it is necessarily safe. It may give a false perception it is safe though.

Doing reckless stuff with a sharp blade is probably going to cut you. Same with a straight razor, if you push it past the limits, then it will cut you. If you use it within limits, then it is a great tool and in my opinion not unsafer than a DE.

I’m pleased with the thoughtful replies. But they all read to me as some version of “because I like it” which I knew already. The “counter blast to the world” comment is instructive; that it provides a better shave less so. Apparently SR shaving is “cool”, say the commenters above, and preserves an ancient skill that needs preserving. I recall that the Romans shaved with seashells and olive oil.

I’m also picking up a little “reviving a lost art” kind of thing, sort of like glass blowing, and a tinge of the war reenactor thing. That it results in a better shave is arguable. Even that Bob from Cebu guy (what happened to him?) didn’t claim a better shave.

Last edited:
But they all read to me as some version of “because I like it” [...] that it provides a better shave less so.
There was a similar topic on the straight razor sub-forum not long ago. Most of the people said they prefer a straight razor because it does provide a better shave. Besides this, I also like that I don't have to rely on anyone else manufacturing the blades without changes or disruptions.

That it results in a better shave is arguable
I was in holiday for a couple of weeks. Traveled by plane, so taking a straight razor with me was not an option. I could only carry a 3 piece DE without any blades. Luckily, it did not get confiscated in the airport. Anyway, long story short, during those weeks over there, my skin got worse. My girlfriend noticed it (again) and after we returned and I shaved with SRs, she commented that my skin looks so much healthier after shaving with SRs. For the record, I shaved with DEs since I was ~20 or so, so I am not a beginner in DEs.

Also, if you don't like SRs, they are not for you or you don't understand them, just move on. It's kind of weird to troll about what others like. Do you like it when others mock you for your soap choices?

I’m not trolling; I’m trying to understand.

I guess in the end, it’s not understandable to someone on the outside. And perhaps even asking offends some. I’m reminded of the time I asked the guy why he had ape-hanger bars on his bike and he responded by punching me in the face.

I was in holiday for a couple of weeks. Traveled by plane, so taking a straight razor with me was not an option. I could only carry a 3 piece DE without any blades. Luckily, it did not get confiscated in the airport. Anyway, long story short, during those weeks over there, my skin got worse. My girlfriend noticed it (again) and after we returned and I shaved with SRs, she commented that my skin looks so much healthier after shaving with SRs. For the record, I shaved with DEs since I was ~20 or so, so I am not a beginner in DEs.

Also, if you don't like SRs, they are not for you or you don't understand them, just move on. It's kind of weird to troll about what others like. Do you like it when others mock you for your soap choices?
And to be sure, my soap/razor/brush/blade choices are mocked all the time. You get used to it.

For me shaving with cartridge razors no matter the prep always gave me irritation afterwards. Maybe that is because I want my chin and neck BBS because of the chance of having a rubber sealed mask on my face minutes or hours after my shave with sweat soaked skin getting irritated even more.
I can not tell you what the difference in the shave is except less blades running across the same patch of skin and maybe being more thoughtful as to each stroke.
That said when I originally went the SR shaving the BBS chin and neck came quickly and the irritation stopped. It also lasted much longer into the day.
I will say that when I was still in operations and someone would ask whose straight razor was on the counter (drying) it was interesting to see the inquisitive looks on peoples faces and disbelief before I explained the why behind it.

Dale

a guarded razor tool to remove hair without the risk of severe injury associated with straight razor shaving.
I'm pretty sure people still manage to cut themselves with "safety" razors. In fact I would wager that I spilled more blood in my first two years of cartridge shaving than I did in my first two years of straight razor shaving.

Honesty compels me to report that I have cut myself pretty bad with a straight, though. But not on my face, and not in the act of shaving.

To answer the general question, though, I get very comfortable shaves with a straight, and as close as I care to get. And I enjoy the workmanship of the tools themselves, and I also like maintaining them. It's not for everybody.

I tried straight razor shaving as an extension of the "hobby", after using shavettes for a short time to get familiar with the mechanics. Some observations (in MY experience):

Straight razor shaving feels safer than DE shaving, with less irritation. I've never cut myself with a SR, but have drawn blood with a DE and shavette...and it seems much easier to get irritation from a DE (or shavette) vs a SR. I can make many passes over the same area with a SR without the irritation I would get with a DE. One could argue that this is because my DE technique is lacking, but in my hands, a SR is more forgiving. Shavettes feel the the least forgiving of the three and require the most attention and care.

Having said that, I'm not getting the same quality of shave from a SR that I get from a DE or shavette, even the straight razors that I've sent out to be honed by the "masters". I've read that I need 100 shaves before the heavens part and angels sing...but that happened almost immediately with my shavettes. So far, in my limited experience, my shaves with a DE razor or shavette are far superior to my SR shaves. Best I can get from a SR is a socially-acceptable shave, which may have been fine in the 1800s but not up to my standard for a good shave.

Lastly, it is a LOT of work getting a SR shave-ready, and very difficult for a n00b. I'm still not sure that I'm willing to put in the effort, especially considering the sub-par shaves im getting, but have too much time and $$$ invested to throw in the towel.

I guess it's like asking "why would you bother with a fountain pen when you could just use a ballpoint pen?..it's much easier, right?"

Yes, it is, but after actually trying both, I also understand and appreciate both sides of the debate. For me it is more about the challenge of actually getting the same quality of shave from a straight razor as i get from a DE, which at this point feels near impossible.

I tried straight razor shaving as an extension of the "hobby", after using shavettes for a short time to get familiar with the mechanics. Some observations (in MY experience):

Straight razor shaving feels safer than DE shaving, with less irritation. I've never cut myself with a SR, but have drawn blood with a DE and shavette...and it seems much easier to get irritation from a DE (or shavette) vs a SR. I can make many passes over the same area with a SR without the irritation I would get with a DE. One could argue that this is because my DE technique is lacking, but in my hands, a SR is more forgiving. Shavettes feel the the least forgiving of the three and require the most attention and care.

Having said that, I'm not getting the same quality of shave from a SR that I get from a DE or shavette, even the straight razors that I've sent out to be honed by the "masters". I've read that I need 100 shaves before the heavens part and angels sing...but that happened almost immediately with my shavettes. So far, in my limited experience, my shaves with a DE razor or shavette are far superior to my SR shaves. Best I can get from a SR is a socially-acceptable shave, which may have been fine in the 1800s but not up to my standard for a good shave.

Lastly, it is a LOT of work getting a SR shave-ready, and very difficult for a n00b. I'm still not sure that I'm willing to put in the effort, especially considering the sub-par shaves im getting, but have too much time and $$$ invested to throw in the towel.

I guess it's like asking "why would you bother with a fountain pen when you could just use a ballpoint pen?..it's much easier, right?"

Yes, it is, but after actually trying both, I also understand and appreciate both sides of the debate. For me it is more about the challenge of actually getting the same quality of shave from a straight razor as i get from a DE, which at this point feels near impossible.
Interesting. I used a fountain pen so I can relate to that.

What I’m getting from all this is that for some it’s less irritating, some like to preserve/revive a lost art, some claim a better shave and at least one would like to punch me in the face. I should always remember that they killed Socrates for asking too many questions.

I thought the “counter blast to the world” comment was illuminating; that fellow is closer to the Amish example than he may realize.

Thanks for joining in.

Last edited:
Top Bottom