What's new

Newbie DIY Strop

Hi just wanted to show you all a DIY strop I did yesterday.

I bought a $5 strop from Ebay - guess what! The quality was awefull.. :ohmy:

So I cut out the out the metal rings and threw the rest of it away. I had a piece of leather laying around from the last time Í made a few knifes. I found a good patch where the leather was nice and homogenious. It's just ordinary cowhide, nothing fancy.

I made it 6.5cm wide and dyed it black. Sewed on the rings and made a handle. I think it came out nicely, considering that this was my first strop, but you can be the judge of that yourselves in the attached images.

I haven't used it yet, as my straight needs some honing first. I know some use neats-"something" oil on the strop. But what is the difference between neats and ordinary leather oil? Would ordinary leather oil F... it up?

Kind regards
Handberg

Neatsfoot Oil to soften the leather...in the US we used to use it on our baseball gloves as kids...it soaks in and keeps the leather nice and soft and smooth...you just need a little and rub it in all over...

Cowhide makes a very fine strop. You really do not exotic leathers to get excellent results. If it is vegetable tanned rather than chromium tanned, after it has been dyed it tends to get stiffer and needs some oil. You did a really fine job with yours. I like the stitching and handles.

Neatsfoot oil is fine, but go sparingly as it can really increase draw, since it is a heavy oil. It is used for horse saddles and other outdoor leather and can preserve the leather indefinitely. I recently saw an 80 year-old saddle that gets regular use and looked just great.

Other leather conditioners and oils indicated for leather are also fine, just add a light coat of whatever you chose and let it sit and soak in. Then try the strop until you get the draw where you want it. Then just use the strop and refresh with oil every so often. Try not to use oils with petroleum bases; they do not do really well with leather.

I have made quite a few now and find I can with the proper treatment adjust the draw to where I want it. I do not dye the leather, but prefer to age it and condition it as it ages. I also use very heavy ~3" wide leather, so it will last forever. Here is an example of my simple strop. I also add initials at the bottom for folks. I sent one to Nerdman to try, but otherwise I have just used them myself or given them as gifts. :001_smile

Attachments

• $simple strop 001.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
I just used a belt :thumbup:
proxy.php

Top Bottom