What's new

New to SR shaving - Think this razor will do?

I've got the urge to try SR shaving. My daughter got me this razor recently, and I'd like to use it, but I want you to tell me if you think it will work well as a first razor. It's got a fairly pronounced hollow grind. The edge is not perfectly straight - It is slightly concave, by which I mean the center has received slightly more honing than the heel or the point. I don't know if that is a problem or not. Other than that, it looks OK to me.

It's cool because it was sold by an A. Halverson Co., apparently a barber supply company in the early 20th century right here in Oklahoma City near where I live. Says PLATINUM STEEL made in Germany.

I eventually want to learn to hone my own edges, but for starting out, who can I send it to? I understand there are several here on this forum. Is there a list somewhere? Thanks!

$IMG_0062.jpg

Yes that razor has some potential but you will have some edge restoration work to do. Maybe not a good first choice unless you know what to do. Frown blade need to come out and honed up properly then i'm sure it will work fine. So yes send it out but its not a simple honing job and for the price of the restore you might be able to find a shave ready vintage at a similar price to get going.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Welcome to straight razor shaving! The blade does have a frown but one of our pro honers can take care of it for you. To name a few, Bayamontate, life2short1971, and Doc226. All have great reputations here.

As David advised it does have a slight frown but not that bad, if you are familiar with honing have at it but you will have to correct the frown first by breadkifing until flat, i have done this with one razor and it honed up okay after the bread knifing but honestly always looked kinda goofy

The problem with that one on top of the frown is your bevel is hitting the stabilizer (or will do so), that needs to have the heel taken care of and then honed.

Uhhh, so what's breadknifing??

Breadknifing is taking the blade and carefully running it flat on a lower grit stone like you are cutting thru/slicing bread until it's flat along the bottom, you have to be careful and not go to far or you will be spending along time on the 1K or lower and as Doc pointed out and I honestly did not notice the stabilizer bar and yes it would have to be ground down.

Thanks for the good info everyone. So, what is the problem with the bevel hitting the stabilizer?

Top Bottom