What's new

New to Pressue Cooker

Picked up a fagor set from costco.com.
Please post some recipie ideas.
Last night my first go was veal short ribs. In less then 60min and great meal.

Thanks for bringing up pressure cookers. It pretty much turned on a lightbulb over my head! I grew up with them in the days before microwaves and still have a huge pressure canner which is useless unless you are canning or feeding a small army. A smaller one would be so handy.

Stewed beef is an old favorite, done in something like 15-20 minutes. Steamed veggies are done in a flash and a pot of beans takes little time as well. Oh my... I may need to drop by Costco.

A quick search turned up some decent info: http://missvickie.com/

Roast beef, potatoes, carrots, some broth. Throw them all in, let it cook for about an hour. Pinto beans, smoked sausage, water, salt to taste. Cook a little over an hour. Of course, I'm at 7000', so things take a little longer than lower elevation. There are a ton of recipes online and some good pressure cooker cook books. We use ours quite a bit, as at our elevation, things like beans would take forever to cook.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I never do the exact thing twice. . .

Beef stew.

2 Lbs. Stewing beef
2 Onions
3-4 Tbsp Oil
3 Stalks of celery
3 Potatoes
½ Turnip (or what your pot can hold, depending on what you like, etc.)
1 Can Diced tomatoes
3 Big shakes of Worcestershire sauce
3 Cloves of garlic
½ Cup flour
½Bottle Beer or glass of wine (cover veg and beef with liquid . . . water is . . . sheesh . . . fine. . . beef broth or something that adds flavour is better)

Method:
Put oil in bottom of pressure cooker and heat on medium high. Coat stewing beef in flour. (flour can be seasoned with garlic powder, onion powder, cyanine, etc. Like Emeril’s bam powder). Brown meat in a couple of batches so that it browns rather than boils in its own juices. While browing the meat dice the Onions then reduce heat to about medium. While the onions are cooking dice the potatoes, turnip, and celery. When the onions are translucent add the beer or wine and use to scrape off the brown tasty stuff from the bottom of the pot to make a sauce. Add the diced veg and the can of diced tomatoes. Add water to cover, put lid on pot, turn up heat to high. When the pressure cooker gets up to pressure reduce heat to medium and cook for 30 minutes. Cool pressure cooker under running cold water before opening. (now you can add dumplings if you wish)

Dumplings
1 ½ Cups flour
¾ Tsp Salt
2 Tsp Baking powder
¼ Cup Butter (or margarine)
1 Cup Milk (or as much to make the dumpling as liquid as you like . . . I like them to be fairly gloopy)
1 Bunch Chopped fresh parsley or Thyme (for me about 3 Tbsp of parsley or a couple of Tsp. of Thyme works)

Add to top of stew in about 5 clumps and cook covered (not under pressure!!) for about 20 minutes. (add dumplings to stew 20 minutes before it is done)

Last edited:
Been thinking of picking one up for a couple of years now...but then I buy more shaving stuff with that segment of my income. Maybe this will be the year.

I've been using a pressure cooker since the early 80s. It is the most used pot in my kitchen, along my iron skillet. I've adapted just about every sort of recipe you can imagine, well except for cake, however you can make a mean steamed pudding in a pressure pot. I've got a crock pot, but I just can't get used to something so damned slow when I have my pressure pot and can do it in no time at all. No joking, if you cook, you need a pressure cooker. I promise that once you have it, you will wonder how you ever got along without it.

throw a couple chopped onions in the bottom, add 1/2 cup water. Drop a pork butt on and cover with bbq sauce.....an hour later...pulled pork sandwiches!

Mom always made her pot roast in the pressure cooker. It remains just about my most favorite dish ever. Haven't had it in years. I think that next time I visit Dad I'll swipe the pressure cooker and her recipe. I have to taste it again.

throw a couple chopped onions in the bottom, add 1/2 cup water. Drop a pork butt on and cover with bbq sauce.....an hour later...pulled pork sandwiches!

Holy Cow, I hadn't even thought of that. I love BBQ pulled pork sandwiches. I HAVE to get one of these ASAP! I think I saw one for $20 in the Bed Bath Beyond flyer.

i got a big one off amazon,they have sevral sizes to choose from.swmbo and i are gettng back into canning from the garden.salt/quality control mostly but you cant beat fresh canned veggies.

We have two that we've used since we moved to 7000' of elevation. Love 'em. I have made a cheesecake in a pressure cooker. Dangerous! I should not be able to make cheesecake!

I've been using a pressure cooker since the early 80s. It is the most used pot in my kitchen, along my iron skillet. I've adapted just about every sort of recipe you can imagine, well except for cake, however you can make a mean steamed pudding in a pressure pot. I've got a crock pot, but I just can't get used to something so damned slow when I have my pressure pot and can do it in no time at all. No joking, if you cook, you need a pressure cooker. I promise that once you have it, you will wonder how you ever got along without it.

I concede, I will never try arguing the finer points of BBQ with you southern gents. But this pork in the pressure cooker is still pretty damn tasty. Its near impossible to get real BBQ up here in Canada.

Oh, you haven't lived until you hear 2 barbeque fans screaming obscenities at each other over the chopped/sliced debate.

But beyond that, your recipe sounds absolutely delicious! And given that this thread prompted me to obtain a brand new Presto, it will be on the menu within the week! Something old is new again.

The Fagors are really good, I would avoid any of the ones that use the bobbling weight as they do not keep pressure as accurately as the newer style, also avoid aluminum as many recipes call for tomatoes and that is not a good combo even if you don't agree that aluminum is not good in pans. The two brands commonly available that get consistently good reviews are Fagor (what I bought) and Kuhn Rikon. Miss Vickie's seems to be THE site for pressure cookers, and they are really making a comeback. I love the one I got a year ago, but have not used it as much as I should. I think I will make something in mine this weekend. I use mine for beans all the time, but need to experiment more.

Oh any cookbook by Lorna J. Sass will be good, she kind of came up with modern pressure cooking techniques.

Last edited:
Come to think of it, I have a microwave pressure cooker that is put out by Nordic. Don't laugh. It works really well for small meals and also does desserts. The product has been around for at least 25 years and all of parts are still replaceable. They haven't changed the design at all. You do need a microwave with a tall cavity in order to use it.

I am currently eyeballing an 8 qt. stainless steel Fagor. Thanks for the suggestion on the book by Lorna J. Sass. My mom used to use one all the time, but I never paid much attention, unfortunately, so I guess I am going to have to learn. The thought of pot roast with veggies and potatoes fresh out of the pressure cooker is making me hungry right now!

Top Bottom