What's new

My Travels with Scotch (Single Malt)

I got into Single Malts in the early spring of '07.
I walked into a pretty nice liquor store up in Albany. I told the clerk that I was looking for something along the lines of Johnnie Walker Black but smoother.
He pointed me in the direction of Highland Park 12 years. The bottle had an amazing sunrise scene on it and I was sold.
Then I opened it up. It was even better than I ever thought. I had then become obsessed. That is still one of my all time favorites and am upset I finished it.
Since then I have amassed a collection.
Forgive my amature description of some of these.

Ardberg - currently my go-to bottle. Each is different. I love when I get hit with the smokiness and chocolate at the same time..or is it toffee? Either way, some sips just fall flat.
8/10

Balvenie Doublewood- Good. Not Great. Flavourful, but sometimes boring. Depends on the night I have it really. Last night was amazing. But other times it was just.. there. Has a nice round flavor. Not peaty or smoky. But nice.
7/10

Dalmore Cigar - Awful. Just.. plain awful. It was like drinking an ashtray. It actually gave me a headache. My least favorite scotch. But it's still better than Jose Cuervo. Gave it away.
1/10

Glenlivet Nadurra 16 year - Amazing scotch. 9/10. Right off the bat. Treated myself for my birthday last year. Have been hesitant to finish it. I love it. Sweet, not overly sweet. Honey. Citrusy..sorta. A hint.
9/10

Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or - One of the sweeter whisky. Delicious for the summer nights. I really enjoyed this bottle. Cinnamony sorta.. Fruity kinda..
8.5/10

Highland Park 12 year - This years is disappointing. Not as smoky. Let down. Man. And what the **** happened to the pretty bottle?!
7/10

Highland Park 18 year - Yum. Those who have had, knows. I haven't had it in a while, so I will have to update this later.
9/10

Lagaluvin 10 year - Well.. wow.. complex is right One of the most complex scotches I've had the pleasure of having. Hints of smoke and peat and other lovely flavou dance on your tongue. dance on your tongue. Might be a bit too busy at times for me. Feels lik certain flavours try to break through but can't. Very interesting
8.5/10

Laphroiag 1/4 Cask strength - Holy mother of Gasoline smell. Open this bottle up and everyone asks what you're having. Drop some water in there and see it smoke up. 2 drops at most. And I'm being literal. Drops. Anymore and you ruin it. Strong. Peaty. Smoky. ****in A.
9/10

MacCalland 12 yr - Oh sweetness. Oh Lord this is a winner. Cheap too. Robust. Coffee like almost. Just.. yum. This was my go to bottle till I finished it recently. I'm hating myself for it.
9/10

Oban 14 - Not as impressed as I liked it to be. Had a nice peat kick to it. Sweet. But my tongue wanted more. Ok. Wouldn't have it again.
8/10

Speyburn - Tan colored water. Weak. It was like 20 bucks. Bland, boring. Gave it away. 4/10

I did not include the typical Glenlivet and Glenfiddich you find at your bars. They're common. I thought those whisky beginners would (hopefully) get a good feel for scotch if they were wondering which to buy because this can be very daunting.

I purchased Jim Murray's Whisky Bible. I agree usually about 75-80% of the time when he rates a whisky and what he says. That might also help.

Now.. I was looking for a smoky scotch like Highland Park 12 that I had 3 years ago. Or something like a mix between Ardberg and Macallan.
Any help?

Thanks,
Jimmy.

Last edited:
Try Lagavulin 16. A bit more smokey than the HP, but also very nicely complex (ie not just a wall of smoke/peat like Laphroiag). It's a highly-rated Single Malt.

Also, since you like a bit of smoke, try having your next smokey dram with some quality chocolate covered almonds. Trust me.

Last edited:
Try Lagavulin 16. A bit more smokey than the HP, but also very nicely complex (ie not just a wall of smoke/peat like Laphroiag). It's a highly-rated Single Malt.

Also, since you like a bit of smoke, try having your next smokey dram with some quality chocolate covered almonds. Trust me.

+1 :thumbup:

Give the Glendronach 12 year a try. I found it to be quite good. Talisker 10 year should also be on your hit list.

2 for Talisker and 2 for Lagaluvin.
Nice.
I picked up the Lagaluvin tonight.
I might pick up the Talisker tomorrow just because.

I'm gonna open the Lagaluvin tonight.
I can't wait.

I should really oen up the 18 year old again, but thats for special occassions.. like my 25th thats coming up in 2 weeks.

Ho boy.

Tell us what you think. Lagavulin is a classic, must-try.

For some reason, they say Talisker is supposed to pair well with smoked mackerel, kippers and oysters, although I haven't tried those pairings. Talisker is good too, though. But IMO, you made the right "next" choice.

I'd go for a bottle of Caol Ila. Nice touch of smokiness but gentle.

Quite envy you your The Glenlivet Nadurra, can't get it here.

Well.. wow.. complex is right.
One of the most complex scotches I've had the pleasure of having.
Hints of smoke and peat and other lovely flavours dance on your tongue.
Might be a bit too busy at times for me. Feels like certain flavours try to break through but can't.
Very interesting.

8.5/10

I'm going away upstate. Sitting by campfires and the like by a lake.
Which 3 scotches should I bring?
Glenmorangie (new), Ardberg (75%), Lagaluvin (90%), HP 18 (90%), Balvenie (60%), Glenlivet Nadurra (35%).
I might also pick up a bottle of Talisker 10 and/or Laphroaig 1/4 cask strength and/or MacCallan 10.

hmmmm, interesting. Your scores seem to mirror price points quite reliably.

I am surprised you rated Speyburn so low. Perhaps you haven't much Speyside experience? Glenlivet isn't half bad, albeit often overlooked because it is viewed as commonplace.

As far as recommendation, you might be pleasantly surprised if you tried something along the lines of Auchentoshan. Although it isn't very peaty, the hint of smoke is quite nice.

Last edited:
In an attempt to not get defensive but defend my opinion (and my right to say it...)

Faulkon - price is not really much of an issue here, but I don't see myself paying more than $100 for a bottle. The most I spent was on the 18 year HP and it was very good. But I wasn't immediately blown away. My all time favorite was the $45 bottle of 12 year old HP I had 3 years ago. That's my favorite. Followed by 16 year old Glenlivet which I got at $60. Then maccallan and laphroaig which was $50.
But I really appreciate your suggestion. Many thanks

The_Metaton - I didn't include the Glenfiddich 12 and Glenlivet 12 in my reviews becausee they are so common place. It doesn't mean I haven't had them or enjoyed them. I find Glenfiddich not as enjoyable but that's me. Like I said above, one of my favorites is Glenlivet.
You're right, each person will taste something different as everyone has a unique tongue. But there are common denominators here. I'm just hoping to try the more obscure stuff and help those who haven't had the chance or don't know where to begin.
That was my goal.
Sorry if I made it seem different.
Good day.

Last edited:
I did find Balvenie enjoyable.
It just failed to excite me initially.
I had it the other night though and it was fantastic.
I considered upping it half a point.

I'm going away on vacation and bringing that with me.
We'll see if I have to eat (or drink) my words

Well, i am impressed one could dislike Balvenie Doublewood 12. It's a superb malt.

Same here, but everyone's tastes are different. I had someone turn their nose up at me when I offered them a glass of Macallan 18 Year scotch. :huh:

Last edited:
Well... I'll have to drink my words.
Balvenie has proven me wrong.
I'm really enjoying it.

Ardbeg was a nice compliment to the campfires.
Quite enjoyable.

Lagavulin is.. sometimes too complex for me.
I personally think that Laphroiag 1/4 cask strength does the smoky/peatiness the best.
Ardbeg is a nice 2nd.
Lagvulin just hasn't gotten me there yet.

On my list next is:
- Talisker 10
- Caol Ila
- Macallan 10 (not fine oak cask that I keep seeing)
- Ardbeg Uigiadail
- Cragganmore 12

(No particular order of course.)

I'm finding myself appreciating a more bourbon-y type of scotch with smoke to it.
If you find yourselves with knowledge of one such scotch, please inform me.
I feel like Highland Park 12 had that going for it. A nice, smooth, bourbon-y type of scotch with some smoke to it.

Ah well.

My 25th is coming up so I'll be enjoying the HP 18 year on that day.
Sweet.

Thanks.
Ill let you know.

I'm just after that perfect scotch.

I gotta credit to Highland Park for getting me into scotch and making me realize it changes from year to year.

Interesting.

My 25th bday is coming up.
Should I get a lot of medium priced bottles (HP 12, Ardbeg Ugeildial, Talisker 10) or 1 expensive bottle? (HP 25?)

The Highland Park 25 is a superb dram. However, would I personally take one over 2 bottles of Talisker 10 year is a tough call and my gut tells me I normally wouldn't. However, I've tried them both so the novelty of a Highland Park 25 year isn't as strong now. What you want to do is make a purchase and say "I'm glad I bought this" to yourself. If your 25th birthday is an important milestone for you, why take only half measures. Go for the Highland Park 25 year provided you have the palette that can appreciate this sophisticated and highly praised dram.

Last edited:
Top Bottom