What's new

My thoughts on the Merkur 45 Bakelite

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
The Merkur 45 is one excellent razor. Don't pay attention to the all-metal purists on this forum. I bought mine just after they released it. Wonderful razor.

I agree. I love lightweight razors. I see ZERO reason to wield a piece of steel that weighs about the same as a stick of butter. I lift weights for strength, no need for a heavy razor :)

I just find I like the control and feedback I get with a light razor. I have the 42C. I would expect this shaves similar to that. Or am I wrong?

I agree. I love lightweight razors. I see ZERO reason to wield a piece of steel that weighs about the same as a stick of butter. I lift weights for strength, no need for a heavy razor :)

I just find I like the control and feedback I get with a light razor. I have the 42C. I would expect this shaves similar to that. Or am I wrong?
Lighter in hand. The head shape puts serious flex into the blade so you shave at a shallower angle but it is super light and for anyway a great and easy shave.

Have a 45c on the way, May 2 it should come. After ordering I found the threads in handle are plastic, felt like canceling the order. Is this a valid concern?

Have a 45c on the way, May 2 it should come. After ordering I found the threads in handle are plastic, felt like canceling the order. Is this a valid concern?
The entire razor is plastic with the exception of the brass screw that holds the top cap, tray and handle together once assembled. As long as you are careful assembling it, meaning you carefully screw it together so as not to cross thread it or over tighten it...it will outlast you. And it is just a 45...45C would denote Chrome.

Love mine! You’ll enjoy yours too.

Just revisited mine for the first time in about 3 years. Two excellent shaves in a row, with the Elite Razor Bloody Basin Jasper handle, which gives the razor a little more heft and oomph. :thumbsup:

proxy.php
Love the handle. I cannot find it on Elite shaving. May be discontinued. Any ideas how I can copy your cool razor? I have 3 merkur 45 razors so no prob there.

Viseguy. Hope you dont mind but i copied your 45c with the bloody basin jasper from robert quin. You nailed it on the nicest looking razor!! Not only does it look cool but the unique bend and heavier handle makes this a gem.

The plastic Merk disproves the theory that heavy razors shave better than light ones. Of course, anyone who’s ever shaved w a Yuma or Lord already knew that.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I destroyed this razor together with the Swisstool of my father many years ago.

You read that right, first I ripped apart the handle and the head of the bakelite razor, had no idea what it is, though some kind of east bloc LEGO or something, ... yeah really... and then used a hammer and pliers and destructive ingenuity to disassemble the Swisstool of my father in a fashion that ended in its total destruction. :blue:

I think my father didn't care about the razor, it was just in the drawer as well. But destroying the Swisstool made me VERY unpopular, but mother saved me.

I still like disassembling things, like knives, but by now I manage to put them together and they usually even work better than before. ✌️
I also think we had another bakelite razor, I found parts of it. But this one wasn't destroyed by me.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Maybe this episode explains why I like stainless steel razors. And 3-piece-design: Can't dissassemble this overly much. The Futur is already complex enough, mostly due to the spring. I am also not a fan of springs.

But as some already pointed out: the material doesn't determine how good a razor is. I am serious! I just have a thing for steel.
I just added this statement to prevent people from hunting and killing me.

Maybe this episode explains why I like stainless steel razors. And 3-piece-design: Can't dissassemble this overly much. The Futur is already complex enough, mostly due to the spring. I am also not a fan of springs.

But as some already pointed out: the material doesn't determine how good a razor is. I am serious! I just have a thing for steel.
I just added this statement to prevent people from hunting and killing me.
Too late. We are coming to your house in 24h tops. :ninja:

Top Bottom