What's new

Is the Merkur 34c less head-heavy (lower balance point) than the Merkur Progress (standard/short handle version)?

Hello,

I just bought a Merkur Progress (standard/short handle version), and then returned it. I found it too head heavy for my liking. I think the Mergress would be my ideal razor, but they cost a lot new, and seem rather scarce on the second hand market (as far as I can see). I would go for a Merkur Progress 510 (long handle), however, I have a relatively chiseled jaw, so longer handled razors make it much more difficult to shave certain areas.

My ultimate desire is get a relatively short, adjustable razor, that doesn't cost a fortune (so the Mergress seems like the best/only option). But while I wait, I'm thinking about buying a Merkur 34c (I'm not interested in a 3-piece razor).

For anyone who owns both the Merkur Progress (standard/short handle) and the Merkur 34c, is the middle/balance point lower on the 34c than on the Progress? And if so, by how much (noticably/marginally etc)?

Thanks!
Henry

Last edited:
Unfortunately I can't recommend the Merkur 34C because the blade posts on the top cap are not wide enough to provide good blade alignment.

Unfortunately I can't recommend the Merkur 34C because the blade posts on the top cap are not wide enough to provide good blade alignment.
It must not cause serious issues, if it's the most popular de razor on earth (read that in an article somewhere)?

My understanding is the mold used to make the 34C top cap was changed (probably due to cost savings) and, unfortunately, the tolerances are poor. I have a Mühle R89 (similar head design) and the blade alignment is much better.

For anyone who owns both the Merkur Progress (standard/short handle) and the Merkur 34c, is the middle/balance point lower on the 34c than on the Progress? And if so, by how much (noticably/marginally etc)?

Thanks!
Henry
I have both, to be honest I really have no idea. But what I do know is that the Progress on it lowest setting shaves exactly like the 34C HD.

Most opinions I have seen of the Progress are quite positive. I would also suggest not to exclude 3 piece razors from your search (my top performing DE razors are 3 piece).

I have both, to be honest I really have no idea. But what I do know is that the Progress on it lowest setting shaves exactly like the 34C HD.
I purchased a 34c and it feels *way* less head heavy (to me) compared to the Progress. However, its not aggressive enough for my thick/coarse hair, so I'm going to try out a 37c.

My understanding is the mold used to make the 34C top cap was changed (probably due to cost savings) and, unfortunately, the tolerances are poor. I have a Mühle R89 (similar head design) and the blade alignment is much better.
Interesting. I ended up buying a 34c, and the blade alignment is basically perfect. However, it's too mild for my thick/course hair, so I'm going to try out a 37c.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Head heavy? Move your grip a quarter of an inch for goodness' sake.
I've never understood the annoyance. Just choke up on it.
There are guys buying titanium and other lightweight handles, what are they thinking! :001_unsur

And yes, the balance point is different on the 34C, further from the head than the Progress. Slightly.

For your enjoyment (not so easy in practice) three razors on a chopstick.
full

No blade alignment issues on any of these by the way.

Interesting. I ended up buying a 34c, and the blade alignment is basically perfect. However, it's too mild for my thick/course hair, so I'm going to try out a 37c.

A 34G, with a mild IP Red or Astra SP blade was my favorite combo for years when I shaved every other day. Well into retirement and since covid, I'm shaving less frequently and needed something more aggressive. My GameChanger .68 also wasn't up to the task, so I upgraded the head to .76 and went to a sharper blade (Platinum/Swede).

I purchased a 34c and it feels *way* less head heavy (to me) compared to the Progress. However, its not aggressive enough for my thick/coarse hair, so I'm going to try out a 37c.
The Progress is very aggressive on a high setting. You could also try to shim the 34C HD or you could get a more aggressive razor like the Fatip OC's.

Top Bottom