What's new

My Guess... 3017

@sgemmett my Williams post has nothing to do with anything you wrote at all. It is intended to be somewhat tongue in cheek but I wrote it prior to my second cup of coffee so I forgot the various emoji's. Please, no apology needed Sir. If anything I would ask that you accept mine if in my sleepy haze I wrote something that gave the impression I was responding negatively to your post. That was not my intention. I've always been a bit jealous of folks that have good luck with Williams because what could be better? An inexpensive soap available locally would be a dream come true. Alas, I must get mine off the interwebs.

@Gott543 your post made me laugh out loud. Why? Well, because I am just twisted enough that it actually crossed my mind that I should get rid of those razors for working so well that they cause me to use less soap. How crazy is that? The Asylum RX in particular is killing me. It took me a while to get the hang of it and find the right blade. Now that I have it sorted out that thing shaves closer than my straight razor. It does require a gentle hand though.

The homemade shave stick that I thought would be gone in a couple weeks is probably going to last me until March.

Started AOS Lemon just after the new year. RR CiT didn't live up to my expectations. It's holding strong, scent is still there, shaves are fantastic. In the end though, I feel Haslinger gives me a better shave, but it's close, very close. AOS wins on scent, I love lemon scented soap.

Tried to upload a photo, didn't work, refuse to watch a 30 min instructional video on how to do it. Can't stand the new software, mods/stews/former mods all say it's fantastic but everyone else seems to dislike it, myself included. If they don't implement Tapatalk, they'll loose many people posting. The mobile skin sucks, my entire screen is dead space on every page I load and I have to scroll to start seeing posts.

Still no dish? Someone just needs to officially announce that it's not happening.

My thumbs ups didn't show for some reason and I don't know how to edit in the new world of B&B. So :thumbup:

I'm having some trouble with emojis myself, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Not a big deal, except I tend to have an odd sense of humor that doesn't always come through in posts. I'll have to tone it down a bit. <- - should be a smiley face here.... but..... followed by another smile face here - - - >

Still no dish? Someone just needs to officially announce that it's not happening.

I'm officially announcing I found my own dish. When Nuavia Blu first came out I received a crock of it as a Fathers Day gift. I didn't like the soap, had an allergic reaction as I recall, but the blue and white ceramic crock with a cover that it came in is great and my wife loves the way it looks. Its fairly deep but plenty wide so I can load without the dreaded clanking. I also discovered that I can grate and press 3 pucks of Haslinger into the crock. Which means when fully loaded I have 4 - 6 months of excellent shaving. < - - - insert thumbs up AND smiley face

So when I load my crock with 3 pucks of schafmilch does that mean I am shaving with a crock of sheep? < - - insert another smiley face

I will insert pictures of my crock 'o sheep when I have the time and inclination to learn how. < - - insert emoji indicating a someone dazed and confused look

Started AOS Lemon just after the new year. RR CiT didn't live up to my expectations. It's holding strong, scent is still there, shaves are fantastic. In the end though, I feel Haslinger gives me a better shave, but it's close, very close. AOS wins on scent, I love lemon scented soap.

Tried to upload a photo, didn't work, refuse to watch a 30 min instructional video on how to do it. Can't stand the new software, mods/stews/former mods all say it's fantastic but everyone else seems to dislike it, myself included. If they don't implement Tapatalk, they'll loose many people posting. The mobile skin sucks, my entire screen is dead space on every page I load and I have to scroll to start seeing posts.

Bruce, to upload a video all you have to do is to click on the camera icon at the top.
upload_2017-2-11_14-4-26.png
upload_2017-2-11_14-4-26.png

Then you can either use whatever media you have or download something. I couldn't be easier.

Thoughts from five days with MWF...

It seems remarkable to have five blood-free days in a row, which tells me how far the bar had been lowered by my experiences with the previous two soaps. Post-shave face feel is out of this world. I have been afraid of thin & frothy so I've been loading the heck out of it. I am using fairly little water and trying to dial down the violence of my lather building. Still working to get it right but already loving the creamy goodness and I think it's going to be a very enjoyable ride.

--Lee

Now that I have the Blue Willy dialed in, the shaves are really great. Now my problem is that I am loading the hell out of it but the puck doesn't seem to be shrinking. Now that I have it working with the Maggard synthetic, I think I may go back to the SOC boar for a shave or two to see if I can get the same or better lather with it while upping my usage. :devil:

The puck of Lime Willy is probably about at the halfway mark. Still haven't been able to dial it in any better than a thin, non-disappearing lather, which is incredibly slick and has great residual slickness. I could probably shave a full second pass on the residual slickness from the first pass.

I think I'm going to give up on trying to figure this soap out and just keep doing what I'm doing until it's gone since it's giving me good shaves. Hopefully I can knock it out by the end of the month. I guess I might have to up the ante from "load it like you hate it" to "load it like it's the most detestable thing you've ever experienced", although strangely I'm growing attached to it.

The 3017 of Schafmilch continues. I think I should be getting to the bottom of this soon. It's almost basically a flat disk of soap on the bottom of my lathering bowl. I'm finding that I have to load a LOT longer because the brush doesn't have a lot to grab since the soap is pretty much flat on the bottom.

Since I want some quick wins, I think my next 3017s will be to blow through some samples I picked up.

As far as Williams and synthetic brushes are concerned, I've no doubt a synthetic brush will build a lather faster with Williams, but I can't imagine any brush will turn Williams into an excellent performer. I've been shaving for decades and tried more soaps, creams, and oils than I could possibly recall. Haslinger is one of the best I've ever used, modern Williams is one of the worst. A puck of Williams costs me $2.00. A puck of Haslinger costs me $4.50. I'll pop the extra $2.50. This is usually the part where people jump on me and suggest I'm not using Williams correctly or don't know how to make a good lather with it and should watch any number of tutorials. I'm good, thanks. Someday if I run across a puck of Williams in a store I might grab one just to see for myself how much difference a synthetic makes. Not because I believe Williams will perform well...it wont. Because I want to see if its just my imagination that these new synthetics are darn good at making lather. Shortly after the 3 or 4 test lathers I'm certain the puck of Williams will find its way onto the shooting range. They make good exploding targets and are biodegradable.

Speaking of newish technology affecting soap. I have been playing with a few of the new SE offerings that utilize Feather AC style blades. Blast! A couple of these razors shave so close that even with my fast growing grizzled old whiskers I only need to shave every other day. If I'm doing the math correctly, my stash of soaps just doubled. :001_huh:

Where can I get Haslinger for $4.50?

@sgemmett my Williams post has nothing to do with anything you wrote at all. It is intended to be somewhat tongue in cheek but I wrote it prior to my second cup of coffee so I forgot the various emoji's. Please, no apology needed Sir. If anything I would ask that you accept mine if in my sleepy haze I wrote something that gave the impression I was responding negatively to your post. That was not my intention. I've always been a bit jealous of folks that have good luck with Williams because what could be better? An inexpensive soap available locally would be a dream come true. Alas, I must get mine off the interwebs.

@Gott543 your post made me laugh out loud. Why? Well, because I am just twisted enough that it actually crossed my mind that I should get rid of those razors for working so well that they cause me to use less soap. How crazy is that? The Asylum RX in particular is killing me. It took me a while to get the hang of it and find the right blade. Now that I have it sorted out that thing shaves closer than my straight razor. It does require a gentle hand though.

The homemade shave stick that I thought would be gone in a couple weeks is probably going to last me until March.

I missed a bunch of posts through the changeover business. When you say it shaves closer than a straight, you have my attention. Which blades are you using? Any razor other than the Asylum? Just curious since for my face, there hasn't been anything that beats a straight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cella sample finished this morning. Good soap but for me has a tendency to get airy and lose slickness if I'm not careful with technique/water while loading.

Back to Haslinger for a short bit while I decide whether to knock out some more samples or jump into a full size product.

Oh, I did test lather modern Williams and got a skin reaction so won't be trying out that challenge.

Top Bottom