What's new

My First Razor... Adjustable or Fixed?

Hello Everyone, I'm new to the forum and I've decided to take the plunge into the DE world of shaving. I have my eye on a couple of razors but mainly wondering if an adjustable would be a good way to start out. The 2 razors I'm looking at are the Merkur 38 Hd Classic and the Parker Variant. I know there is a pretty good difference in price and I will probably wind up buying them both in the end but which would be a good way to start?

Thanks!

Welcome to the B&B forums. I recommend a vintage Gillette adjustable, such as the slim. Set on 3,it is a pretty mild razor. The Merkur 34C is a great fixed razor, as is the EJ89 and the clones of it.

Sent via mobile

A vintage Gillette Tech (40s-50s) is mild, uncomplicated, efficient and indestructible. $15. No reason to buy a modern Zamak headed Merkur or EJ at twice the price. Schick Krona is a good TTO alternative similarly cheap and superior to Gillette contemporaries IMHO.

Personally I think mastering technique is easier with a fixed head rather than an adjustable.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I'd recommend a non-adjustable for your first. The fewer variables you have to work with when learning, the better.

My two cents here - I will as always :001_rolle support what Lightcs1776 also said above: Get a vintage adjustable, a Slim for starters. I did.

Very high quality easy shaves, they’re mild if you want them to be and (most importantly) the adjusting is great for finding your preferred level. This means that you don’t have to go through several razors before you find the type of shave you really like. And there’s more! – Adjustables are amazingly beautiful, true icons of American industrial design with their simple and durable mechanics. When you are not shaving you can just sit and hold the razor, look at it and let the vintage DE bug really take hold:001_wub:

But whatever you decide you are in for a great ride. DE shaving is truly addictive and you will soon end up hoarding razors, soaps, creams, brushes, aftershaves, pre-creams.... Welcome!

Last edited:
Of the two you mention, I own the 38. (I also have adjustables, just not the one you mention.) I have just a few months of DE shaving under my belt, but it's my thought that a fixed is probably a little more sensible way to start, simply due to the fact that you are tempted to mess around with the adjustable every shave, and you take longer to learn the technique because you're always creating new variables in the process.

So, with all that said, the 38 is a fine razor, you could certainly do worse for yourself as a starting point. I get easy, comfortable, and trouble-free shaves off of mine, and find it to be quite acceptable to work with.

That's not an easy question to answer because of the variables in the different razor and blade combinations along with individual user preference. IMHO you would get more flexibility from an adjustable because if a fixed razor ends up being too mild for you, it's very difficult to change that. Getting both may be the ultimate solution.

I's suggest to start aggressive and back off if you need to. I started with a Merkur 33C, tried to make it more aggressive by shimming it, but finally bought a Fatip Piccolo. Love the Piccolo.

DE shaving is truly addictive and you will soon end up hoarding razors, soaps, creams, brushes, aftershaves, pre-creams.... Welcome!

Thanks! And let me tell you, I'm already there :001_smile I'm looking at my first razor choice closely but here's a list of what I've purchased so far lol:

Lather & Wood Shaving Co. Sandalwood Pre-Shave Oil and Sandalwood After Shave Balm

Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Shaving Cream

Henry Cavendish Gentleman's Ceramic Shaving Soap Bowl with Handle

Perfecto 100% Pure Badger Shaving Brush

Perfecto Deluxe Chrome Razor and Brush Stand

Feather Styling Razor Disposal Case

Blade Sampler: 5 FEATHER Hi-Stainless (Japan) 5 Gillette Platinum (Russia) 5 DERBY (Turkey) 5 ASTRA Superior Platinum (Russia) 5 7 O'clock Super Stainless (Russia) 5 Silver Blue (Russia) 5 SHARK Super Chrome (Egypt)

Last edited:
Welcome to the B&B forums. I recommend a vintage Gillette adjustable, such as the slim. Set on 3,it is a pretty mild razor. The Merkur 34C is a great fixed razor, as is the EJ89 and the clones of it.

Sent via mobile

Hello and welcome. Great to have you here. I second this recommendation. Get a vintage Slim. Quality is far better than modern razors.

Hello and welcome. Great to have you here. I second this recommendation. Get a vintage Slim. Quality is far better than modern razors.

I actually have spent the last hour since Lightcs1776 suggested that looking at adjustable slims. I'm sure that's a great suggestion but I'm not sure what's a good deal, if something is going to be wrong with the razor that I can't see, etc I am thinking, get that later and stick to one of the 2 I mentioned but I'm not certain.

+1 on the fixed for starters. The Merkur 34C, EJ DE 89 or Gillette Tech are all excellent choices for beginner.

I forgot to say, if it came down to it I would really prefer a 2 pc over a 3 pc razor. That's my first instinct when I see them anyway.

Thanks! And let me tell you, I'm already there :001_smile I'm looking at my first razor choice closely but here's a list of what I've purchased so far lol:
Blade Sampler: 5 FEATHER Hi-Stainless (Japan) 5 Gillette Platinum (Russia) 5 DERBY (Turkey) 5 ASTRA Superior Platinum (Russia) 5 7 O'clock Super Stainless (Russia) 5 Silver Blue (Russia) 5 SHARK Super Chrome (Egypt)

Nice selection of blades, but I'd hide the Feathers at the back of the drawer and leave them there until you've used all of the other blades, at least.

Nice selection of blades, but I'd hide the Feathers at the back of the drawer and leave them there until you've used all of the other blades, at least.

+1 to that!

For me, almost all of the Russian made DE blades provide acceptable to outstanding performance, along with the Israeli Personna's.

Get whichever one you like the look of most. Some shavers in the past started out with adjustable models, while others used two or three piece razors, and they all managed. With all the advice available here, the process should be even quicker for you than it was for them. The important thing is to start, because any DE razor is better than carts or electric as far as I'm concerned.

Top Bottom